Quick Shots – The Witcher 2 is looking mighty good

Thursday, 24th February 2011 15:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CD Projekt has released a ton of screens for The Witcher 2.

You can have a look over on Gamersyde. Try not to drool too much. It will short-out your keyboard.

The Witcher 2 releases for PC on May 17.

1. Erthazus

Game looks stupidly incredible.

Game visually is impressive, but i don’t care about visuals i need better lore and dialogs. I hope it delivers like the first game.

2. BloodyJoe

Looks perfect! Good gemeplay, story and questdesign are more important! I want something addictive!

3. razvan2you

This game will rock….perfect graphics….!

4. Blerk

Gorgeous! Sometimes I wish I had a shit-hot gaming PC.

5. UuBuU

Looks impressive. If it had more of an open-world feel to it and actually permitted character customisation I might be interested.

6. Zurtech

I agree, and without customisation, Witcher is an Adventure game not an RPG. To get me to buy Witcher 2 they need to dump all the open sexism in it too.

7. Shubb9

This years games are just making me so glad I spent so much on my PC.
    DA2, TES:5 and this one, brilliant year for CRPGs. Even the timing. Couple of weeks till Dragon Age, Witcher in May and TES in november. Thank god they aren’t all releasing at once!

8. Erthazus

@Zurtech,
    “and without customisation, Witcher is an Adventure game ”

Another one who don’t know what is RPG. Jesus. I’m sure you never even heard of NWN or baldurs Gate.

9. Zurtech

@ Erth

Yeah never heard of NWN, honest, never used to play it to death or make custom content for it, or play it on all the classes/races and choose different conversation trees and see how they differed from play to play. Nah not me. -_^

Both those games let you choose a name, gender, race and class, that’s more than I can say for Witcher.

10. Big_Boss

@Zurtech

I have no problem with a preset character, especially if the game takes full advantage of it as in The Witcher. Why should every rpg be the same? Go play Dragon Age 2 if you want to play as a female mage. In the meantime, I’ll be doing another playthrough with Geralt of Rivia.

11. Zurtech

@ Big_Boss

Tis fair enough, just to me Witcher isn’t an RPG, as I stated it’s an Adventure game.

RPGs came about to be digital versions of tabletop RPGs, and as such you need the ability to play the story in the role of your character, and for the story to change and react to you character’s choices, appearance, morals/ethics race, gender, class and personality.

To say Witcher is an RPG and not an adventure game, because you take the role of Geralt, is no different to claiming Dead Space 2 to be an RPG because you take the role of Issac, or Super Mario 64 because you take the role of Mario. If you’re goin by that logic, then even Gran Turismo is an RPG because you take the role of a race driver, as the player does in 99% of games.

To me Witcher is too pre-defined to be classed as an RPG. It’d be like say… making a Batman RPG, where you play as Batman. There wouldn’t be many choices within the game, because you’re playing a pre-defined character in that world. You’d not be allowed to choose your play style, because Batman wouldn’t use a gun. His morals won’t let him kill anyone, he’d not be allowed to kick some old man in the groin or the like, because these would break his character.

This is just how I view an RPG. To me Witcher is an Adventure game and, minus the sexism, it’s a good adventure game. I want to like Witcher 2, but I can’t say it’s a game I’d get or not until I know more about the content.

12. UuBuU

Thank you, Zurtech. Finally someone who understands.

Erthazus, please read this and learn.

13. blackdreamhunk

wow I am impressed

14. BULArmy

@Zurtech I have not read so much shit in long time. The WIthcer is not an RPG?! It is 3 times more RPG then Mass Effect, Dragon Age and many other.
    You say there must be decisions. And I will tell you that The WItcher is all about the decisiouns you take but unlike Mass Effect where you have good or bad here you don’t have them. There is no good or bad, you do what you really think is right and the consequences are not so obvious as in other games. Geralt is a unique character and you can fully understand it if you read the books. But the game also show it very good. Not every RPG need to have a custom character, in this case the predefined character is very complex. Also the developers used a cliche which worked brilliant in this case with the amnesia. You are playing the story, you are taking the decisions so it is a RPG the character is just a badass. Also the dialog and story are times better
    than in 90% of the games.
    We have a nice skills development, alchemy is cool and must if you want to experience the game fully. Yes it is limited in some typical RPG things like loot and others but that don’t make it any less RPG.

15. absolutezero

Sigh. Why on Earth do people care so much about genre tags? Really?

Ok so the first computer RPGs came about as representations of the table top games of yore.

So why do they still need to do that today, decades later?

Why are you so worked up about people refering to The Witcher as an RPG, which it is. To be honest the only thing thats like table top games of the past are Roguelikes.

16. UuBuU

@absolutezero – because I like RPG games, and don’t like how story-driven action-adventure games like the witcher etc are seen as being synonymous. Of course there are RPG elements there, but it’s still very much an action-adventure game that tells a story.

Getting genres right might seem quite trivial to you, but to me it’s important; not just in games, but in music, in film, in books. It annoys the hell out of me when people get genres wrong… because if enough people do it, it sticks.

17. YoungZer0

@16: Wow, i wish i would’ve your problems. Why trying to put something into a box? If it’s good, it’s good. You might call Witcher Action Adventure, i wouldn’t.

18. RockTwist

@14 Err yeah, and what are people who don’t like Geralt meant to do? They certainly won’t spend £30 on the game if they dislike the character they’ll spend hours playing as.

If CD Projekt are happy losing the sales of people used to customisation in the RPG genre, more power to them.

19. IL DUCE

Game looks awesome, really hope it comes to consoles eventually so I can actually play it…

20. Crysis

RPG=Role Playing Game, so you’re playing a role of someone/thing else in a video game, so it isn’t really a genre, the traditional RPG is actually an Adventure game, my favourite genre is Open-Adventure, games like Fable.

Lack of customization doesn’t define a genre, but IMO most games should use it to some extent, whether it be clothing, weapons, spells or physical appearance, these little cosmetic changes make a huge difference IMO.

21. walkingfiend

@Crysis
    that’s not the name sake for RPG genre.

@Zurtech
    so you are implying (almost) all of JRPG games are action-adventure?