Play.com lists Xperia Play preorder at £519.99

Wednesday, 23rd February 2011 23:43 GMT By Brenna Hillier

UK retailer Play.com has put Sony Ericsson’s Xperia Play up for preorder at a hefty £519.99 – about $840.

MTV Multiplayer turned up the preorder, which is for an unlocked, contract-free handset.

The listing has a release day of March 28.

Sony Ericsson has not revealed official pricing for the unit, so it’s quite possible this price will drop substantially before launch.

For comparison purposes, an unlocked 16 GB iPhone 4 currently sets UK purchasers back £510.

Thanks, GameFront.

1. Erthazus

and people say that iPhone is overpriced.

If this thing will launch with this price it’s official Sony’s piece of shit.

2. earlyrock

Well if your desperate to get it, then you’d go on contract. The beauty of this is that PlayStation certified Androids will pop up everywhere over the years im sure. No need to get a Sony phone if you don’t want.

Think I’ll wait for NGP, though :D

3. Hunam

But those prices don’t mean anything. No one buys phones stand alone, it’s always as part of a contract.

4. Yoshi

This is obviously just a random pricing but no doubt people will begin to hate.

5. theevilaires

@4 +1

6. TheViking

#3 No? It’s very common to buy a phone off contract in Europe…

7. LOLshock94

shnayeeeeeeeeeeee

8. thesamy

yayyyyy my new pruches… NOT

9. Crysis

@6, & in Australia too & I’m not the slightest bit surprised by the price, but if any genius were to get it, they would get it on a contract.
    I’m sure carriers will also offer subsidized prices too(nothing compared to America’s subsidizes but our contracts are better-free phone upfront), I’m sure this is the unlocked phone’s price, an outright iPhone 4 is mostly priced at around $1000+ here, but on a contract it could cost less than $40/month depending on what cap you choose.
    America seems different to the rest of the world when it comes to mobile phones… They pas like $200 upfront for something like an iPhone 4 which is locked to a contract, we pay $0 with similar monthly pay rates.

10. Hakkiz

Contracts can become expensive. I’d rather save up some money and get just the phone and keep my current service provider – that way it’d be super easy to change the provider anytime when someone throws in a good offer.

11. Crysis

If you’re gonna do that, you shouldn’t bother with a smartphone, but here a recharge cap for a prepaid phone is the same monthly price as post paid phone on a plan so you may as well get the free phone, of coure the more expensive phones like the iPhone 4 have an additional cost per month depending on the monthly cap you choose.
    Say if I wanted to get the Xperia 10 on a plan, if I choose the $19 cap it’ll cost a further $24 per month equaling $43 per month but if I choose the $29 cap I have to pay a further $5 per month equaling $34 so I actually pay less & get much more credit, personally if I can get the Xperia Play on a plan for less than a total of $50 per month, I’d drop my current plan & pick it up day one.

12. revolting

@3 I always buy my phones stand alone. The UK’s mobile service providers are the biggest bunch of con-artists around, the only thing I’ll pay them for is the sim card.

13. DrDamn

So errr, what do you do with the Sim card? Stick it up your arse?

14. Crysis

Is it the Americans or Europeans who pay to RECEIVE calls? Well whoever it is it’s total bullshit, may only be a couple providers though.
    @12, I assume that you don’t make calls then & have it as an emergency kinda thing…

15. revolting

@13 Put it in my phone, obviously.

@14 You assume incorrectly.