Crytek: Competition keeps the firm “in check”, makes sure its always on the “cutting edge”

Wednesday, 23rd February 2011 17:29 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

CEO Cevat Yerli has said competition is what keeps the firm from getting “sloppy,” and helps keep it on the “cutting edge,” of game development.

Speaking in an interview with CVG, Yerli said the firm loves competition and with Crysis 2 releasing just a month after Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm, folks will get a game that is “highly competitive.”

“We love competition. Without it no-one would be innovating,” said Yerli. “I think it keeps us in check, helps us make sure we don’t get sloppy and are always on the cutting edge. I think Crysis 2 has benefited from that and so will consumers – because ultimately they’ll get a game that is highly competitive.

“On the other hand, [Killzone 3 and Bulletstorm] are great games generally and I think people will enjoy one or the other, and since they’re shipping in February and Crysis 2 is in March, I think there’s plenty of room for a lot of strong games in the next few months.”

Crysis 2 releases on March 22 in the US and March 25 in Europe for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. DSB

I just hope they make a game that’s able to compete with Farcry for once.

2. YoungZer0

Yep, setting the game in New York, playing a space marine fighting against aliens sure is innovating.

3. Erthazus

@2, Nah, he is just a dude in the suit :D

4. Maximum Payne

@2 Crysis is all about sandbox and awesome graphic Story isn’t focus on Far Cry or Crysis. Maybe Crysis would change that

5. YoungZer0

@4: Sandbox? Let’s see if the Sandbox Element is still in Crysis 2. So far i haven’t seen anything that points me to that. I’m actually expecting a better storyline this time around.

6. Maximum Payne

^^Well i don’t know how much is present in Crysis 2 but i saw that you can vehicle just like in first game and people who played leaked beta said that there is epic tank battle.But Crysis 2 is going to be big hit.

7. Isaaclarke37

I am so excited about it more than KZ3 and Bulletstorm.
    so It’s:
    -Crysis 2
    -Bulletstorm
    -Killzone 3

8. distrucktor

Crysis 2 looks like an epic game i really want the online to be a blast to play and ive herd rumors that the controls are not the best i hope they fix it up still im going to get it !!!!!