Eutechnyx looking into region-free release of NASCAR 2011 in the UK

Tuesday, 22nd February 2011 15:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

NASCAR 2011 developer Eutechnyx has said it’s looking into releasing the game as a region-free title, after earlier reports stated the game would not see a UK release.

Speaking with Eurogamer, NASCAR product manager Gregg Baker said: “Ultimately, as the distributor, Activision make the call on which territory the game will be released in.

“However, as a developer we can try and ensure that those wishing to purchase the game outside of the US are still given the opportunity. We will look into making sure there is no region locking on the game so fans can import the game and if the demand is high enough we may even look into the possibility of distributing the game ourselves in the UK.”

Most PS3 games are region-free, and some Xbox 360 titles are as well, Black Ops being one such example.

Earlier today, MCV’s reported that NASCAR 2011 would not see a UK release.

The racing title based on the US motorsport, in development at Gateshead-based Eutechnyx and published by Activision, was announced last October for PS3, 360 and Wii.

It features 16-player multiplayer and allows you to play as either yourself or real-life drivers.

NASCAR 2011 is out March 29 in the US.

Eurogamer was led to understand the game was never announced for release in the UK, despite the assumption it would be released soon after launch in the US.

1. Zarckan

And the problem is?

It’s for fucking rednecks anyway.

2. StolenGlory

Generalise much?

3. Stardog

It’s just driving in a circle anyway. Stick to F1 2010/11.

4. Hakkiz

And F1 is driving in a line, eh?

5. LOLshock94

isnt this being made in gateshead?

6. mortiferus

Surely there must be NASCAR fans in the UK :)

7. ManuOtaku

mortiferus, in fact there are, they just dont say it in public..thats all

8. DiodeX

Oh, EA, please do the same with NCAA football for 360

9. EscoBlades

I actually was pissed that NCAA Football was never released in the UK.

10. Suikoden Fan

oh if only nintendo thought like this with 3ds

11. OlderGamer

The thing some of you folks need to understand is that NA Stock Car Racing isn’t just high end Nascar. It is embeded into the rural local comunities. At the small town levels. I have several local tracks that range from dirt to black top. Each week several classes of cars set out to the track.

This is racing that average everyday folks can enjoy. And can afford. Who the hell can afford a F1 car? Or even a decent touring car? I have raced for 14 years of my life. Its in my blood. I would race your ass in a tin can if it had wheels.

What you have in EU is what we call Doctor/Lawyer racing. Cause thats who can afford it. I have seen people making 25K/yr pulling a car to the track on Saturday Night.

As for Nascar?

Well thats living the dream. In the same way you can play Soccer at a local club or with friends, yet still isn’t exactly like playing for pro team. But you see the connection. You and the pros are both playing soccer.

Last weekend I watched the Daytona 500 on TV. A driver named R. Smith(driving 78), was up front most of the day. Drafting and pushing. With less then five laps to go he got rearended and sent into the wall.

Big Deal?

Well I know him. I remember him walking around as a kid in a drivers suit that didn’t quit fit. You see he started racing something called a Microd. It is a state wide club in NY. The cars are 1 cylinder home built and run on a 1/10th of a mile. Both my son and I raced on that very track. I remember Smith because I met his father, met him as a little boy, and I had a cousin that raced with him at that age.

That is why Nascar is Nascar. Even if the average fan doesn’t know a driver personialy, they can connect to the sport and the people in it. For the most part racing folks are down to earth and folksy. You might call em redneck. But living in NY state(in the north) I really don’t see myself as a redneck. I don’t hunt, fish, carry guns, chew tobacco, date kin or any other sillt notings some of you might have.

So enough of the drive in circle crap. Stock Car racing is exciting as hell. The tracks are small(comparred to F1 style)(and local small town tracks are much smaller then Nascar ones). You can see the entire field at any given time. The cars are packed in tightly, there isn’t often several second gaps between positions. And best of all if I wanted to run a car, I could afford to do so.

It may not be your type of thing, thats fine, I can’t connect with soccer(I’d rather watch Hockey, Basketball, Football, or Lacrose), but each and everyweekend millions of folks in NA all across the contry(Canada too) head out to the thier local tracks.

12. OlderGamer

Just a thought, imo, there hasn’t been a fun to play Nascar game in years. Dirt to Daytona(GC/PS2), imo was about the best/last. If your interested in good racing, you could also look up a few games from Ratbag(rip from ausie), like Saturday Night Racing, Dirt Car racing 1/2 on PC.

Their is a very poorly done Sprint car game on xb360/ps3(but the controls are just too damn tricky to hang on to).

13. robmlufc

“And yes I enjoy INDY/F1 too. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING on this earth beats being sideways, four wide, inside front wheel lifting off the ground because of the raw power, and barreling out of the corner. You have to experience it to fully understand.”

You have never been sat in a Welsh forest watching WRC cars coming flying past have you?

14. OlderGamer

Good lord I live in the states. Have you ever seen the World of Outlaws Sprint Cars?

Its like thunder on dirt.

15. mathare92

Although limited, the Nascar stuff in GT5′s pretty good. The Special Event challenges make you really appreciate how powerful those cars are.