GT5 moves 6.3 million units, “ship” or “sold” in question

Monday, 21st February 2011 13:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Polyphony’s just released figures showing Gran Turismo 5 has moved 6.3 million units since its release back in November.

In a regional breakdown, Europe has the bigger numbers with 3.9 million units. North America follows behind with 1.5 million units and Japan with 600k.

Overall, the series has seen 63.1 million units moved.

It’s unknown if these are sales or shipping numbers. We’re getting onto SCEE about it.

Gran Turismo 5 launched at the end of November following a previous delay, and received a new update last week which enabled B-Spec mode to be played online from a computer.

1. xino

wow!

the game sold well without me buying a copyO_o

i guess Piracy doesn’t hurt sales, it is preowned that hurts it just like EA said!

guess…I’m gonna pirate GT5!:)
    don’t be greedy, you just sold 6million man!

2. G1GAHURTZ

Shipped!

Sold!

Shipped!

Sold!

etc…

3. Deacon

Not bad for a half-finished game ! ; )

4. Razor

While it is a shipped number, I don’t think the actual sell-through will be too far off. Actual sell-through is probably around 5-5.5 million.

5. earlyrock

Nice one. Its a great game.

6. ManuOtaku

The key word here is moved, not sold, therefore….next news please

7. Johnny Cullen

*retreats from sales position, is in neutral standpoint*

8. DSB

I really wanna give it a spin. It looks a lot better than previous GT’s. Especially the sensation of speed, from what I’ve seen. I just can’t be arsed to fit in a console at this point. Too many PC games to finish off.

Did it sell more than two Forzas though? That’s really what Sony should be asking themselves in my opinion. It probably cost the same as two Forzas to make at this point.

9. Deacon

It really is a superb game once the race has started! OUTSTANDING in fact.

The trouble for me is everything else.

10. Mike

shipped.

If it was sold Sony would be partying.

11. Patrick Garratt

I think the rest of those numbers are actually sold.

12. ManuOtaku

Well….. i did own all the previous GT, but i will pass on this one, i rented it, and the thing that doesnt bode well for me was the fact that you have a 1000+ cars in the game and only a few, are great looking on the inside, the rest is only an slightly upgreaded version of GT4.. whats up with that . also i didnt like the hit damage detection o_O, and the uneaven A.I. …i find forza 3 more appealing, therefore i will pass the buy on this one.

13. Razor

They’re obviously shipped numbers.

But if you look at the sell-through data, they probably won’t be too far away from that number as of today.

14. Vistrix

@10 It doesn’t make much difference to Sony either way. They still sell it to the retailers and get their money.

15. theevilaires

Has to be shipped but I really wouldn’t be surprised if that’s sold also.

16. Suikoden Fan

this is the only realistic racing game that i like and i hated previous gt games, so it caught me by surprise

17. Suikoden Fan

to add forza was alright but i found it boring

18. Erthazus

I’m surprised it did poorly in USA.

Just 1.5 million units, where Halo, COD is a monstrosity. I’m interested to see how well did Forza at US.

19. halberyk

i think the 6.3 of GT5 are more credible than the 5 of hot pursuit!

20. ManuOtaku

@ 19, with all due respect, hot pursuit for me is a better racer, that deserves those numbers and even more, but is a matter of tastes.

@ 17 yeah i know some people prefer forza and others GT, like i said i owned all the previous GT, and forza 3 was my first forza, so i ended enjoy it a little bit more,i think i did expected too much from GT, you know all these years in development, but dont get me wrong both are great racers, thank god that we have forza and GT, in the end we gamers win, we have a lot of series, speaking of which i think the best racer of 2010 was need for speed hot pursuit, it was that good, and i enjoy blur also so a damn shame it didnt retail like it should.

21. DrDamn

I was wondering the same – though if you check the performance of GT4 in the same link the shift away from the US was already happening then. Though that was released quite late in the PS2 lifecycle wasn’t it?

22. OlderGamer

I don’t know. Shipped or Sold, still shows good numbers.

I think what has happened in the racing genere today is that many games have blured lines between what is a sim and an arcade. Add in to that the fact that between graphic and physics engines being so detailed and high end it backfires, creating a sense that one racer is almost interchangeable with another. Toss in the shear number of racers … and for anyone to really stand out is tough.

Given that I think GT5 has done well.

I am, however, not at all suprised that it hasn’t sold as well in the states as in EU. When talking to people here I get a sense that they would rather play other racers. From Forza to Shift to Grid to Hot Pursuit to Dirt. EA and Codies have a nice lock down on the racer genere and they span cross platforms.

Long story short, this isn’t the PS or PS2 generations, and the field is filled other other strong competiters.

23. ManuOtaku

now i will do a mathematical explanation of the units in question, the article mention 6.3 million moves, so if you move 1.57 million units from japan to europe, and then move it to North America , and then move it to South America, you have 6.3 million unit moved, so they shipped/sold 1.57 million units…there you have it ….

24. mathare92

So MGS4′s been finally surpassed sales-wise, then.

GT5 is a worthy successor. Spent hours yesterday trying to finish the last Jeff Gordon challenge… I have a new-found respect for Nascar drivers :D

25. WizardWeb

No idea how many they sold in my area, but there’s A LOT of 2nd-hand copies in Game, Game Station and especially CEX…

26. HauntaVirus