DICE working on “other secret projects” besides Battlefield 3

Monday, 21st February 2011 15:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

DICE GM Karl-Magnus Troedsson has confirmed that, besides Battlefield 3, the studio is also working on “other secret projects” behind the scenes.

Speaking in a video tour of the studio given to Game Informer, Troedsson would only say the company’s working on other things beside BF3.

“We do have other secret projects that I can’t talk about right now,” he said in the video.

Naturally, speculation will point to another Battlefield title or Mirror’s Edge 2, although it was reported last week the game has been put on hold.

Battlefield 3 releases this fall for PS3, 360 and PC. The game will get a more formal unveil at GDC next Tuesday at an EA event.

Thanks, Gamerzines.

1. StolenGlory

Wouldn’t surprise me if they were given the reins again for the MP in Medal of Honor 2.

2. Heinekeno

DICE did help also Criterion last year for NFS Hot Pursuit.

3. ManuOtaku

@ 1 that wouldnt be to much of a secret, i think it is something dont know about or something that we cannot conect the dots…hummmmmm, what could it be….

4. Vistrix

BF3142.

5. StolenGlory

I wouldn’t be at all surprised to see some Battlefield NGP love to be honest.

6. Grimrita

Maybe they are designing armour for the army, based on their bullet proof leaf formula

7. DSB

Grimrita +100

I lol’d.

Seriously though, it’s so fucking boring to have developer after developer come out and say “We’re doing secret stuff, but we won’t say anything – Nernerner”.

I get more and more underwhelmed by what they end up unveiling for each time.

8. Nozz

There are MIRRORS on the wall, but I only see the EDGE of 2 of them.

9. Erthazus

@8 nice one :D

I want BF3 and Mirrors Edge 2. Badly.

10. _S_E_R_G_

BF3 DLC?

11. Grimrita

Who gives a toss anyway. They are nothing more than a generic developer releasing shit. No matter what they say about BF3, I wont be believing a single word after the mess that is Bad Company 2.

Such a shame because it should/could have been a brilliant game, instead its a bug fest with some of the lamest bugs on the planet.

12. ManuOtaku

Grimrita allthough it is buggy, i tell you that battlefield Bad company 2 handles the tactial aspect of shooters like no other game, and for that DICE have my respect, and i know that no matter what game this surprise ends up to, because i know it is in very capable hands.

13. Erthazus

@Grimrita, calm down with the hate already. Game is brilliant and game is fixed long time ago. Any blockbuster game these days will have bugs. Call Of duty or BF.
    and if there are bugs it’s because of design decisions. Some of them you can fix, some of them not.

but i don’t know what you are talking about because BF:BC2 was great. Vietnam was a SOLID expansion pack. Destructibility and vehicles balance worked pretty well.
    If you are high or something i’m sorry, if you are waiting for a non-bug game you can frget about it, because if you don’t remember Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 1942 had a LOT of bugs.

Also, if you hate, just don’t buy.

14. DSB

Really, Vietnam was solid?

Bringing spawncamping back into multiplayer gaming, and placing starting points that leaves the Viet Cong team completely helpless by sheer virtue of sustained grenade spam?

Yeah, they sure put their backs into that one :P

For the record, I loved the weapon changes in Vietnam, and I thought that really improved the game (maybe except for the fact that the sniper rifle is so universally useful on every map) but they arguably didn’t put a lot into that expansion.

15. LOLshock94

vietnam DLC was a waste of time and money its not worth the price. and i have never seen that many bugs on battle bad company and ive been playing since it was released but i do remember light machines being the biggest over-powered gun in the game, DICE went retarded on those guns

16. Grimrita

@13 I dont have Call of Duty because I didnt want a console port on my PC. But BC 2 is just that.

The bugs that piss me off are things like lining some one up behind a BLADE of grass, you pull the trigger and you hit the BLADE of grass. The hitboxes – no secret of just how bad they are and with Vietnam, they fixed the mortar strike in the original game but then broke it again in the expansion.

The gameplay in general is good, although the series has become a simple kill fest. Such a shame. Another example of a game getting a high score it simply doesnt deserve.

17. darksied

Normally I’d be like, “what is it!, what is it!” But …
    I’d rather they don’t stretch themselves thin. Make Battlefield 3 the best game in the series, and then work on your next thing. This isn’t Ubisoft with their thousand employees, where they can afford and have the manpower to have multiple projects going. That’s what I feel anyway.

18. BraveArse

^nah, fuck it. Let them stretch themselves.

I want rallisport challenge 3 thankyouverymuch. And yes, I know MS have the rights, but hey, there’s always hope….

19. DSB

darksted, in case you haven’t heard they’re EA now. As in big, huge publisher who lays off 1500 people and barely feels it :P

Also they’ve been shipped around to help out pretty much every other EA studio, so I’d say they’ve been stretched to capacity in recent years, to put it nicely.

I played BF2 to death, still got all the expansions lined up in my bookcase, but I’m kinda hoping that Frostbite 2 means DICE abandons the BC2/MoH mediocrity, because in my eyes at least, they’ve really proven fairly little since then.

I liked BF2142 minus the huge robots though.

I hear you on Rallisport Challenge BraveArse. Still my favourite rally game of all time.