Spector: “negative interest” in linear games

Friday, 18th February 2011 04:17 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Deus Ex and Epic Mickey creator Warren Spector has said his interest in completely linear games is less than zero, and if it comes to that, he’ll quit making games.

“I have negative interest in working on any game that doesn’t offer players choices with consequences,” Spector told GameInformer.

“If it ever comes to pass that I can’t make games [with significant choice],” he continued, “No one will fund them, players vote with their dollars and tell me they don’t want games like that, whatever – I’ll stop making games. End of story.”

Spector’s opinion is rooted in his perception of the true strengths and values of games.

“Games can do only two things that I can think of that no other medium can do,” he explained.

“One is offer real-time, dynamic puzzles and the other is offer players the opportunity to tell their own story, or at least tell a story in collaboration with others. I think it’s ridiculous not to take advantage of the things your medium does that others can’t do.”

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

I agree in principle, but it’s hard to say what’s linear and what’s not. I mean, Tetris isn’t linear, you can go about destroying blocks in whatever style suits you. SF4 isn’t linear, you can adopt whatever fighting style fits you.

So what does linear mean to Spector?

2. stoopid

I would think he is speaking of linearity in terms of single player gameplay mechanics.

SV4 is realatively easy to apply non-linear gameplay to as it’s major hook would be multiplayer which implies a certain level of unpredictable behaviour in and of itself!
    I am certainly not try to disagree with your point though, as I think you’ve hit very close to the mark here! I would assume that, to take advantage of the the medium’s ability to deliver a dynamic experience for the user, the mechanics of the game would need to be created in such a way as to afford the user with the means to play as they like.
    Something which both games allow, although I would argue Tetris accomplishes this to a better degree.

3. back_up

linear games often have good story telling

4. CastellanSpandrell

Still desperately clinging on to his Deus Ex attachment from all those years ago…Do something new…something that sells…something that’s good…that doesn’t rely on a franchise.

I wonder how Harvey Smith feels when everyone calls Spector ‘the Deus Ex designer”?

5. Dannybuoy

I’m rather partial to a linear game myself. The story can be much more convincing. I find it easier to pick it up after not playing for a few weeks. You know where you are with a linear. It’s like a book. You can pick it up and carry on reading. You can go back a few pages to refresh yourself. I was never really one for those roll your own adventure books. Linear is better. I’m not adverse to non-linear games, I just think there’s a place for both.

6. ManuOtaku

@4, well epic mickey was really good, not like deus ex, but it was really good,it is on my top ten wii list alongside with little king story, muramasa, and zack and wikki for sure. thats just make me realize i need to play little king story again.