Sony not looking at “near-future PS4 or next-generation home console”

Thursday, 17th February 2011 09:57 GMT By Johnny Cullen

SCE boss Kaz Hirai has said that PlayStation 4 isn’t yet on Sony’s radar, saying the focus right now is PS3 and NGP.

Speaking to PC Impress Watch (translated by EG), Hirai said there would be “a new, co-operative partnership” between PS3 and NGP.

“As regards home consoles, the PS3 was put into business in 2006, and it has a 10 year life cycle,” Hirai told the site.

“This means that we aren’t even at the halfway point. There are certainly many more desirable first and third party titles coming out. As we announce and implement new initiatives on an annual basis, I still believe in the importance of improving the software and feature set of the PS3.

“I think the value of the PS3 will continue to rise. Because of this, a near-future PS4 or next-generation home console is not something that we are even debating now. That is to say, we are still concentrating fully upon the PS3. Right now, I appeal to you to think of the PS3 and NGP as a new, co-operative partnership.”

PlayStation 3 will hit its five-year anniversary in Japan and the US in November, but won’t hit the milestone in Europe until March 2012.

Sony recently announced NGP – PSP’s next-gen successor- at an event in Tokyo at the end of January. It’ll release in Japan this holiday season.

1. Isuru86

This means Sony is gonna fuck up my Jailbreak….

2. Erthazus

No PS4 for Sony means: Sorry guys, we have no MONEY.

Milk that old shit please, we are at the Direct X11 era and we still play shitty Dirct X9 titles. thanks to great developers like ID Software, Crytek, DICE, VALVE Take Two and etc. that likes to push the immersion and technology.

Few more years and i will sell my consoles, because they are CRAP. PS3 compared to my PC is Wii now.

3. Erthazus

Playstation 3 = Wii console with sup bar 720p graphics in most titles.
    This is 2003-2004… I’m so sick of this crap.

4. Mike

Sony’s RADAR ;)

5. Crysis

It means they want more relevant hardware when the time is ready for a new home console generation, so why plan new processors now when you can have more modern processors in 3-5 years.
    This time around I’d be astounded if they designed yet another architecture, that’s what screwed up the PS3 @ release, lesson is: Don’t treat a mainstream product as a prototype for new technology.

6. Blerk

PS4 confirmed!

7. Erthazus

@5 But that does not matter.

Look at PS2. When they got it to the market it was the most powerfull system. After that came Gamecube and XBOX and it was the weakest console from all three and still beat the crap out of them two.

PS3 is old now.

1) Software sales are not that impressive compared to Microsoft and Nintendo.

2) The system is Jailbroken to death.

3) System sells worse then Xbox 360 and Especially Wii.

Whats left? Whats left for 5 years?

8. Kalain

I think the problem here is that Sony got burnt with the PS3, as Crysis said.

The Cell processor wasn’t proven as no one, aside from the consortium who made it, ever used it due to its high price, whilst everyone else stayed with Intel or AMD.

The PS3 was hard to program for, but for all its expectations, it still only achieved what normal processors have been doing for ages. Sony and co, just invented something that could process numbers in a different way.

Maybe Sony have learnt their lesson now. Only time will tell I guess

9. YoungZer0

@7: Correction: It sold worse. 2011 is Sony’s year now. PS3 sells have gone up and probably will continue to do so.

10. Dannybuoy

Some folks need to calm down. I’m perfectly happy with my PS3 for the next few years. If the NGP and PS3 play nice together and I can play at home, then take my game on the move with me then that would be great. PC is always going to be ahead of consoles. The upgradeable nature of PC means you can keep updating adhoc. Maybe just stick to PC gaming?

11. Gekidami

Correction: The PS3 has outsold the 360 2 years running.

12. Erthazus

@9 well, maybe you are right. PS3 have impressive year with games, but again… Software sales still not very good.

Kinect sells, Move…. i think… Not…

@Dannybuoy,
    “Maybe just stick to PC gaming?”

I can’t. I like console gaming too. I like Metal Gear Solids, Uncharteds, Final Fantasies.
    I’m just sick of this generation lack of pushing the industry forward. This generation is just… Too long.

13. Crysis

@Erth, PS3 hardware has outsold 360 hardware worldwide for quite some time now, the Xbox 360 S & Kinect stalled the inevitable overtaking from the PS3, but as I said, it’s inevitable, although I’m not sure if PS3 software sales will ever overtake 360 software sales.

14. Mike

RADAR! Put the word RADAR in the opening line!
    Please. :)

15. Crysis

Would everybody be happy if next gen had scalable consoles (i.e. propriety upgradable cpus & gpus)?
    Or Sony could design a VAIO/PlayStation crossover… A side note, has Sony ever made a desktop?

16. Gekidami

^ No. NO!

17. Blerk

Noooooooooooooooo!

18. Erthazus

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO! O_O

19. RandomTiger

Games are already too expensive to make, having a higher spec console is not going help anyone from a business point of view especially Sony, MS and Sony are most interested in growth from people who don’t care about graphics.

Either platform holders need to setup and give developers higher level tools to make game with or the middleware industry needs to get better and cheaper. Its such a shame the ID tech 5 isnt going to be available to the market unless you publish under Bethesda.

I would personally prefer to play games with good stories and characters, I believe we are already into the age of graphical diminishing returns. The human eye will reject hyper-realistic images that have even the slightest flaws. Strong art styles and other techniques can do a long way to creating a visual impact without needing more processing power.

Its good the PC will be pushed on by enthusiasts which deep pockets, technology improvements there as always will filter into the next gen, whatever form that takes. But anyone sitting there on the bleeding edge needs to understand this era of wii, smartphones and facebook has stalled the graphical arms race.

20. Vistrix

Thank god for that. I’ve still got a few more years of life in my PS3.

Such a huge back log of games to get through!

21. Aimless

@12 The only place new consoles would push the industry right now is into the ground. Nobody can afford it.

On the subject of console scalability, I think you can probably get away with a once in a generation expansion module. So say 5 years into the life of PS4 or Xbox 720 a relatively cheap bit of hardware is released that seamlessly snaps into an expansion port, giving developers a second wind. Obviously more casual games wouldn’t require it and new consoles would ship with the expansion pre-installed. Making consoles truly scalable undermines the entire point of them, though: it’s just a PC with licensing fees at that point.

Of course the above assumes the next generation of consoles will be anything like this one. Personally I can see that being more or less the case, but who knows what we’ll have sitting under TVs after that.

22. RandomTiger

@21 Smartphones with WiDi perhaps?

23. drewbles82

I’m very comfortable with the graphics i have on my xbox360 at the moment. yeah maybe they look better on a PC now but its more bout the games now for me.
    Theres loads of reasons why a new console isnt out for a while, you have to think they wanna make a lot of money when they do. The economy is terrible at the mo, so many people without jobs so maybe wait a few years til it starts recovering.
    Then theres what else to put in the console, do people really want 3D, maybe wait a few years to see what happens with that. Do they wanna make people wear 3D glasses.
    Type of media to use, blu-ray, dvd, memory cards etc.
    New technologies which might change gaming etc.
    There could be tons of things going on that non of us will know about for years, each company will want something better than the others, something that will stick out.
    Me personally, i can wait a few more years but the biggest thing for me being on xboxlive etc is that the new console lets you play ALL your xbox360 games from day one, achievements carry on, equipment like rock band instruments etc all work with it cuz this generation of gaming has been the longest eva and people have invested in lots of games etc.

24. Erthazus

but i’m a gamer, i’m tired of old stuff. I play a lot of games and i supported Sony and other publishers with dozens of purchases.

25. Blerk

What a totally ridiculous statement, Erth. :-D

26. OlderGamer

PS3 rah-rah

PS4 go-team-go

Ok there I commented on the PS-situation.

Erth, your playing Rift right?

Me too, wanna try and get same server/faction lined up for headstart?

Just as a two cents here this gen doesn’t need to change for a long time to be honest. Most TVs are 720 anyways. And this gen is more about the games and the online stores/services/media as they are the hardware.

And as a gamer, I really am not all that excited for new 600usd systems to launch. And I am not all that excited to have to start over. Gamewise. I mean games cost 60usd this gen. Is that going to be 90usd for next gen?

Plus as costs go up inovation goes down. Things are bad enough now. All we are going to be left with someday are yearly franchises. I am hoping that as dev costs drop this gen a wider range of game types might work their way onto store shelves.

Lastly Sony needs to hold off as long as they can on a new system. Sony gets a large amount of their support from JP game devs/pubs. But this gen they haven’t been seting the world on fire. I suspect more of the same next gen as they shift even more of their focus to the new handhelds. If Sony pushed new hardware right now, they would be screwed.

27. Erthazus

“Erth, your playing Rift right?”

Me too, wanna try and get same server/faction lined up for headstart?”

Yes. Absolutely.

28. xxJPRACERxx

I think the PS3 still have a couple of years left. Sure games are not running in full HD with 4x+ AA, but games like God of War 3 and Uncharted 2 show what the system can do and that’s still really good.

Sure, each time I play a PC game (I’m re-playing 1st Crysis and Dead Space now) and return to play console games, for the 1st 5 minutes I’m like “wow, these are so low-res shit” but after a while you have fun and that’s what count.

The thing I really hate the most is that consoles are blocking innovation on PC, technology-wise (gfx).

29. Gadzooks!

“People who say that they are comfortable with the current gen consoles play Call Of duty (or other FPS) and buy 2-3 games in a year at MAX. For them, they can even play only on Xbox 360 or Wii. They don’t care. Of course.”

Total cobblers.

More power doesnt produce more creative games, in fact quite the opposite. It produces asset-heavy development which reduces the budget that designers and developers have to experiment with gameplay, the single most important feature of any game.

Most of the games I play wouldnt benefit from more power anyway. For example I’m currently playing Resonance of Fate (totally bloody awesome game, btw) and not one single aspect of the game would be significantly improved by a more powerful machine. It doesnt need to be longer, or prettier, or push more polygons or effects.

I’m perfectly comfortable with the current gen. I buy 20-30 games per year and rent one a month, havent played CoD since MW1 and play only on Xbox 360 (apart from WoW).

I care. I care a lot about games. I just dont care about more powerful hardware as there is no correlation whatsoever between powerful hardware and good game design.

30. StolenGlory

+1000.

Couldn’t say it any better myself.

31. Kuwabara

fucking shut up erth, go play ur shitty pc titles with high res graphics, but shitty art and gameplay. Nothing on pc looks better than uncharted 2 and gow3. Your not a true gamer, all u care about are polygon counts and resolution. Heres a fact, crysis 2 will look like shit compared to games 10 years from now, it has nothing else to keep it from being shit, so why praise a game for its graphics alone!! kiss my hairy cheeks.

32. OlderGamer

@Gad

Spot on right there.

I think there is a still alot of miles left on this current generation.

33. Kuwabara

Oh and another thing, ps3 is the most popular console!! wii is a cheaply priced novelty, and has only sold so much cause of its price. if it were anywhere near the price of xbox or ps3, it wouldnt sell! The xbox 360 had a year headstart, so in reality the ps3 is infront by 2 or 3 million units. You also got to factor in the price, as ps3 launched much more expensive and is currently more expensive. Just imagine ps3 releasing alongside xbox360 at the same price!! the ps3 would be infront by atleast 8-10 million!!

34. Blerk

I love the old “the PS3 would totally be in front if all these things that didn’t actually happen had happened” argument. :-D

35. Kuwabara

Your an idiot if u have to even question that fact

36. StolenGlory

“Your an idiot if u have to even question that fact”

Says the guy speaking in hypothetics.

Retard.

37. Erthazus

@Gadzooks, “More power doesnt produce more creative games”

but i don’t look forward for CREATIVE experiences in NEXT GENERATION SYSTEM or PC.

there is a huge difference. So why you are playing on the Xbox 360 when there are tons of Creative games on the Wii? Also, there are TONS of creative experiences on XBLA, but they are not hardware hungry at all.
    Then if hardware sucks, games should cost less now, but it isn’t a case right now.

If someone wants to make games with creativity in mind they can use not the best graphics for the system. You are playing right now Resonance of Fate. JRPG. Genre that don’t need graphics AT ALL.

But i play not only CREATIVE experiences or RPG games, i also like to play FPS games that have heavy visual effects for better immersion, i also like Simulation racing games that require some serious business with graphics. Action or hack and slash games that require that also.

You think people buy RIGS just for fun? No. They want the best experience and also games that not only can be good looking, but also have great frame rate.

Next generation is not only GRAPHICs. It’s also will have a chance to have better controls, better capabilities, more enemies on the screen, much better physics where you can create god damn fantastic creativity experiences.

People who research technologies don’t do it just for the sake of TECH nerds, but they do it for the BETTER experiences. It was always like that and always will be like that.

Or you know what? You can play your NES for the eternity… Oh no, no no… Don’t even think about something next gen, there are TONS of Creative experiences.

38. Erthazus

“go play ur shitty pc titles with high res graphics”

Thanks man. Will do. Currently playing RIFT that have great visuals, art and gameplay.

39. OlderGamer

Gotta say Rift ftw – my god that game is amazing.

I think I might be in love w/gaming again.

Infact heading back to beta now.

40. Erthazus

@OG, lets play some Rift maybe?

“Gotta say Rift ftw – my god that game is amazing.”

I agree 100% but it has a chance to fail like Age Of Conan so i suggest you to wait few months after the release.
    But i’m still waiting for Guild Wars 2. It’s going to be even better.

41. spiderLAW

@29 30 and 32
    I agree but to a certain extent. More power does open more opportunities for further innovations and broadens capabilities. Not all developers would have to utilize the entire power of the system of course so it isn’t a necessity for all games (ie Resonance of Fate, which is a great game). But it would be great to see new physics, gameplay mechanics, flowing atmosphere (wind blowing through hair, trees, and clothes. Sky changing like clouds moving, color, etc. Foot prints in the ground you walk and dust kicking up), muscle feedback, scaling etc. Games like Uncharted, Killzone, Half-Life, God of War, Castlevania, Gears of War, Halo, Heavy Rain and so on would benefit from features like this. Counting these things out completely is nonsense. Yes, not all games would need this (Joe Danger, Trials HD, Resonance of Fate, Pixel Junk, etc.) But It’s all about variety with whats available for you to choose to buy. It just sucks that real gamers are not a large enough community to support other types of games that don’t need the power. Most game sales come from those that play games when they are bored which is usually those that just buy Call of Duty and the likes. But i do agree that the current gen doesn’t need to be replaced for the next couple of years.

42. spiderLAW

@Erth and OG
    isnt Rift just another MMO RPG?
    What sets it apart? i might be interested in playing it.

43. back_up

PS3 is still the best it will have ten year life span

44. spiderLAW

I agree with parts of @37
    He kinda said some of what i was trying to get across lol.

45. drewbles82

I totally forgot bout cloud gaming. yeah bad idea to bring out now cuz we got nothing but shitty internet speeds, if we had the same speeds as South Korea we wouldnt have a problem. Maybe in 5-10yrs where lag is unheard of, cloud gaming might stand a chance.

46. StolenGlory

The thing is, with more powerful systems comes inflated production costs which by proxy mean that publishers will be less keen to develop something that isn’t based upon a proven concept.

By the same token however, it’s always possible to refine a proven concept to a point that it becomes an excellent game (See Uncharted, God Of War 3 etc) and while this has been proven time and again, ostensibly it’s up to us as consumers to decide if we like being entertained sufficently by games that represent existing genres or if we crave something a little more different.

I guess what I am saying is that while higher development costs don’t extinguish high-concept/low-tech ideas (XBLA being apt proof of this due to relative lower-tiers of production budgets), it does inevitably make the big dog publishers run, re-run their commerical risk assessments a lot more stringently on fully-priced released titles than they would have to do on hardware with slimmer production budgets.

47. G1GAHURTZ

Dunno if anyone else posted this…

Sony are going all casual.

48. Bond James Bond

I haven’t bought a console in years. A PS4/Xbox 720 (or whatever it’s fucking called) isn’t going to change that as the PC offers everything i could want from a system and has done for years.

I’m not going to go into the “PC is better than consoles” argument bullshit. The PC is just better for me (and others), that’s all. It’s a great platform and always on the cutting edge (it was doing 3D years ago and has over 500 games 3D compatible), plus the games are the best they can be, technically.

Plus it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg as some noobs would have you believed.

Personally, there’s no going back after experiencing the delights of the platform.

49. pspgamer01

@Erthazus

I don’t play MMO’s. but I know there are better MMO’s than Rift. I might buy guild wars 2 but I am not sure whether or not I should start MMO gaming.

50. xino

where is your proof? pulling sales out of no where?

Recent reports states that PS3 is currently 47mill to 51mill of Xbox 360 from aug 2010 q- (whatever they call it)!
    Sony recently shipped 1.5m units this Jan.

Basically Sony is winning this 7th gen war and will win!

Microsoft tried to pull a ps2 strategy due to it released first (DC died already). Xbox 360 was released first, ps3 released 1 year later and now it’s catching up with xbox 360 in terms of sales which is just 2 months sales unit behind.

Is not as if it took xbox 360 1 year to pull off 3k sales unit.
    Also in terms of quality and service, ps3 is leading with Exclusives and better online! PSN has so much contents nearing Xbox Live regardless that people are playing for Xbox Live, we get similar content like Xbox Live for FREE!

Now the current battle is Motion War, Kinect is currently leading but we’ll see how this battle fairs in years time! I predict that once again Sony would win with their Move because Kinect is just too limited in terms of gameplay offering! If you think you don’t need a controller to play every game and genre then you must be smoking crack pot!:)

Microsoft should seriously stop playing in this console’s war, their ultimate aim and goal is just to make money! Sony’s aim is to provide what gamers are looking for in games which is entertainment. Nintendo’s aim is to provide gamers what they need which is basically gaming.

51. OlderGamer

Like what one?

I have played MMOs dating back to Meridian59(Pre UltimaOnline).

Rift is the best looking one I have ever seen.

It is less a revolutionary game and more an evolutionary one. It just does so many things right. I have been waiting for a game like this for a long time.

I too am looking forward to GW2, I bet Erth is as well. But I really doubt the experience will meassure up to Rift.

I know people like to bitch about MMOs and their subscriptions, but I look at it like a service. Updates, tweaks, bugs/glitches fixed, balancing, and of course new content and events. You get that with a well done and well cared for subscription based game. Plus break a subscription down.

I am into Rift for 10usd/month. That means I can buy one full priced new release game at Gamestop. Or 6 months of Rift. I can not think of one single game on XB360/PS3/Wii that can hold my attention for 6months.

And the ones that even come remotly close to offering that kind of gameplay hours have DLC selling 10-15usd each abour once a month.

So, Break this down.

PPL won’t play Rift/WoW because the cost is price of the game(50usd for Rift(includes one month free), plus the subscription(10usd for Rift). But many of those same gamers will drop 60usd on BO. 5usd/month on XBL. And 15usd/each Map Pack(prolly going to be 4 of them – thats another 60usd total).

Then in the end, 8months later a new CoD is coming out – meaning another 60usd game and 15usd mappacks.

Rift is a freaken value. Most MMOs are.

However like most games, some people will not like them. Some won’t even try them before swearing them off. Because they are thinking like console gamers. Where as they can’t imagine one game keeping them occupied. They think they will get bored. You won’t.

Most MMOs have their average users spending far more hours on the game then a console gamer spends on their games. there is just so much to do in a good MMO.

You could spend thousands of hours on PVP alone. Complete with ranking systems for Guild VS Guild, and for smaller teams, and for indivduales. You can use wins/exp to buy better pvp gear and level up your abilities.

That alone would make a whole console game. But that is just one part of a game like EQ/WoW/Rift/GW2.

You also have raids. Worldwide server events. And just the act of building your increadibly customizable(esp in Rift) toon.

Rift has 4 archtype classes. And I think 8 or 9 subclasses in archtype. Your toon can mix and match those 8 or 9 subclasses to form a unique build. No Cookie cutter crap there.

Thee is just so much to do. Yet in the consoles worlds biggest game(CoD) you shoot other players. Yes its fun. But no matter how long you play on your first day or your thousandth day, your going to shoot people. Point and shoot. Duck, run, weave, camp … and shoot people.

You didn’t build anything. You didn’t create/craft your gear. You didn’t cleverly design a class and tweak or skill set to suit your own unique strategy. Your not roaming the battlefield with any kind of stragey.

The experience on a console is flat by comparasion.

Your either playing a tightly scripted sequence of planed event in a SP game. Or your playing something like OMP Shooter. Your experiences are very narrow. And honestly at this point in most of our lives, we been there and done that alot.

But with a MMO your experience is widly varied.

Tired of playing wow? Move to Rift. Get tired of playing Rift, move to GW2 or even DiabloIII or whatever sameprinciple applies. I don’t care if it is CoD or WoW, no one should play the same game for months and months upon years and years.

Just because you buy Rift doesn’t mean you can ever play another game. So stop being afriad of a subscription. And fully understand that xbl + mappack/dlc = subscription already.

Some of you folks are gonna have a hardtime when CoD goes subscription based(and I fully believe it will happen).

Sorry for the rant, but some of you folks are blind when it comes to certian things.

52. Gekidami

^ No, i’m not pulling sales “out of nowhere”:

53. OlderGamer

“Basically Sony is winning this 7th gen war and will win!”

Um no.

Wii is winning. And clearly your dulusionial.

54. Gekidami

Comment 52 is directed at comment 50.

55. back_up

sony is truly winning 7 th gen
    and wii is winning grandparents who bought shitty wii for doing exercise
    not for gaming

56. chipvideo

I think fanboyism has gone to a whole new level.

57. theevilaires

@53 I thought you said you were above arguing about things like that anymore. At least sign into your dummy troll account first before sounding foolish ;)

58. xino

You got the fiscal year wrong and confused man!
    that was appointing to that year, it is not the overall sales!
    You have to understand that XBox 360 was released first therefore earning more sales in unit 1 year before ps3 was released.

So to put it easy- (EXAMPLE)
    2005-2006 to whole year xbox 360: 4mill
    2006 whole year- Ps3: 1mill
    2007 xbox 360- 2mill MAKING THE TOTAL 5mil sold all together
    2007 ps3: 1mill making the total 2million
    =
    2008 xbox 360: 3 million making the total 8mil sold all together
    2008 ps3: 3mill sold making the total 5million
    =
    2009 xbox 360: 2million sold making the total 10mill
    2009 ps3: 4mill sold making the total 9million.

In the end xbox 360 is winning regardless ps3 selling more than Xbox 360 2009 because the overall total unit sold for Xbox 360 is still much more than ps3′s total unit sold from 2006.

So if you are going to be looking at Examiner assholes for references, then you are just making a deep fool out of yourself. Because trash sites like that will make you hear stupid things that are not real.

59. OrbitMonkey

@51 So… you like Rift then eh? Wouldn’t. Have guessed o_O

60. xino

I think you shouldn’t be commenting on something you don’t understand.

Yes in theory Wii is winning but Nintendo said themselves they are not in the competition! Micrsoft & Sony are the ones battleing it out therefore Wii doesn’t count!
    XBox 360 comes up with some cool stuff for xbox live, ps3 comes up with something else to counter it. That is basically the war and competition, you fight back!
    Wii is not fighting back, just feeding casual gamers and abandoning it’s hardcore.

sorry I don’t understand wtf you are saying!
    I speak out of proof NOT opinion!
    If you can’t believe my words are proof then why the hell are you reading games news for?

61. Gekidami

^ What? When did i say anything about the Wii? Are you sure you meant comment 11 in comment 50? We dont seem to be on the same page.

62. MushroomStamp

@56, I agree, the way people swing on the nuts of company loyalty is totally absurd. Some of these people probably have a Sony or MS shrine in their closet. At least 1/2 the “facts” people spew are nothing but distorted number, especially using “global” numbers when that really isn’t relevant. When broken down into regions numbers tell completely different story. Most people in the US could give a crap about what sells in Asia and People in the UK could give a crap about what sells in US, yet those numbers distort regional impressions by using global numbers. I personally only care about my region because that’s who I want to game with. I don’t like gaming with people from from foreign countries because of language barrier. People on here that love Sony can’t accept the fact that it doesn’t do well in the US, but kicks ass globally. People that love MS can’t accept the global numbers because all they see is the effect in the US. What works for one region doesn’t work for another, yet people want to project their regions preferences onto others in the name of “global”.

There are many reasons people have preferences and few understand the reasons of others opinions. Most people on here are “think like me, or you are wrong” attitude.. *sigh* it just gets fucking old. I don’t understand why people must profess their love of a system and chide others for their views.

There is no perfect systems. All have drawbacks, all have benefits… just what benefits matter to the each person the most.

I own all platforms because I find value on them all. Of course I have to do certain things not “stock” to enjoy each system. Such as I play all my PC games with a controller, every single one of them. Some claim this can’t be done, because of keyboard complexity, but I have proven that wrong. I had to replace my PS3 controller, because I hate everything about it. That doesn’t mean I don’t like my PS3. These are personal preferences and I just change the things that bug me about each platform.

I just don’t swing on the nuts like most do here.

63. Gekidami

^ Your first 2 sentences would have meant alot more if the rest of your comment wasnt essentially apologetics in favor of MS.

Sorry but stating factual sales figures isnt ‘distorting numbers’, no matter how much the facts displease you.

You know what is distorting numbers? Ignoring global sales to focus on the US alone because they fit better what you want to believe.

64. MushroomStamp

I didnt’ favor MS, I said equally good/bad, i guess you will infer what you will. I showed no favoritism.

Global vs local DOES matter… take for instance Buick is number 1 selling car in China with Hyundai #2 but not here in the US. People here could give a crap that it sells so well over there. You can talk about how the rest of the world sees things, but every region only truly cares about their own. There are cultural differences that DO Matter.

Same concept. People use Global numbers to only cover-up/support their views in a region that doesnt support them.

65. spiderLAW

@TEA
    Where the fuck you be at man? You hardly on Ps3, Xbox, and here! You been chillin outside the gaming world?

66. MushroomStamp

Just look at the games played and games anticipated, regions vary Greatly and you can’t convince one region to like something better just because it does well in another region. Most people could care less about the Global picture.

67. Erthazus

@OlderGamer, oh man, i don’t disagree with you completely but here goes…
    There is just too much copy paste in RIFT and it feels like its’s without something own or… maybe soul!? It really feels like a Next Generation World Of Warcraft or WOW 1.5 then something like an evolution to a MMORPG genre. Also, i like what they did with classes and SOUL classes there, but it’s just too much. Because of that balance… It’s not ruined YET but they need to fix it AZAP. PVP for example is broken. Completely broken.

Also,

The problem is not in the core mechanics, the problem is that everything in there just have no soul. Thats exactly what killed Age Of Conan. Gorgeous graphics, revolution in combat filled with bugs and they forgot to support it.

Best MMO this year is no doubt Guild Of wars 2 and maybe if it will finally come out: Firefall.

Also, DO YOU HEAR ME? I WANT TO PLAY RIFT WITH YOU! DAMN IT!!! You hear me? :D I can come to North American servers if you really, really lazy to come to European. :D

I’m asking you here in this thread for like…… 3 times already? You here? Hello!

68. monkeygourmet

I really want to see some new consoles announced in the next year at the latest. Unfortunatly this looks like it’s never going to happen. The PS3 is a good console but in 1 year it’s going to be painfully out of date, the 360 is holding on just about and the less said about the Wii the better. I would like to see console games locked to 1080p, better textures and 60fps, and would gladly buy a new console now that could offer that (ideally Xbox 720 or whatever to migrate my account). I have loved gaming on my 360 but it’s def starting to creak, for example, Dead Space 2 looked great but the unstable texture quality is starting to become more noticable… I may pick up a PS3 soon for the Uncharted Series, but even PS3 games are going to look pretty outdated soon. It’s not just the graphics that need a bit of a boast, the main prob i’ve seen re-occuring in games this gen is the outdated Physics and AI models they use… Games can look pretty good, but when enemies are stuck in walls or can’t see you when your standing 3 feet away something needs a shake up! :)

69. xino

sorry directed at OlderGamer.
    the guy should seriously stop gaming now!

70. monkeygourmet

How has the Wii abandoned the ‘hardcore’?

Fatal Frame
    Mario galaxy 1 & 2
    Kirby
    Donkey kong
    Zelda skyward sword
    Sin and Punishment 2
    Fire emblem
    Battalion wars 2
    House of the dead overkill
    New super mario bros
    Goldeneye
    Etc etc….

I don’t own a Wii anymore but to say there are no hardcore games on it is just plain wrong…

71. xino

like I say….I comment with facts not opinion!

back in 2008 (or was it 2009) Nintendo abandoned the hardcore gamers as they pleaded heavily for hardcore title on the Wii. The only sh* wii owners had were shovelware.

if you want proof of this, I’ll be ready to paste you links.

Kirby is now an hardcore game….lol

72. monkeygourmet

There was a lot of shovelware but it always takes a new console a while to find it’s feet. A console launch is generally shovelware and ports of existing games, the big guns don’t start coming out till about a year or so after launch. I do consider Kirby as a hardcore game compared to things such as call of duty. It’s a luddite attitude to think there is a certain console to provide all your hardcore gaming needs. I can think of at least 10 exclusive games for each console that I would consider hardcore and would like to play not to mention handhelds.

73. lexph3re

Tsk* I started a discussion in the forums on this days ago :-(

74. OlderGamer

Erth I stuck my email in the forums for ya to contact me with. Under of all things Rift.

Never gave any thought to EU or US servers, hmm that could be a problem. Mybe not tho I play a lot during the day my time, evening for EU time so that could work nice. Not too sure how to get my butt on EU servers tho.

Anyways use forms and email me. Too many crazies in this thread(of which, I might just be one lol).

Nice to see you back Tea.

And Xino, show me the Wii numbers.

And the idea that one region doesn’t matter to the next is at least partly correct. XB360 doesn’t hardly sell in asia. They won’t buy a western made system. However, even with that lopsided slant on things, the xb360 holds it own. Not bad for 2 out of 3 major markets.

And the Wii? It sells everywhere. Why the anger? Why the name calling. Who cares who buys it? Grandma or little sis. Funny how that perception of Wii seems to infuriate some folks.

Its a nice system, has some nice games, has some nice features. Good enough. Funny how that works ‘eh?

75. xino

@Oldergamer

region numbers does not matter man in terms of sales and competition!
    what matters is the overall number!

For an example:

Donuts & Chicken:

*donuts sells 10 in US and 5 in UK= totalling 15
    *Chicken sells 4 in US and 7 in UK= totalling 11

Please by ALL means tell me why you think region numbers are more important that Overall sales?

Just because Chicken doesn’t sell well in US doesn’t mean the company should stop selling chicken in US because it’s not performing nor meeting average number which is 5.
    If they focus on region sales and stop selling chicken in US, wouldn’t that reduce the number of the overall sales?

76. xino

than* not that

77. MushroomStamp

Because sales ratios in Asia don’t matter to the people in the US and the sales ratio is the US don’t matter to the UK. To each region the converse of the number are polar and the only people that care about universal numbers are people that have those numbers support their view but hold no relevance to a particular region. You can’t tell someone something is the best becuase others like it, if noone they know cares about it.

Cultures are so vastly different, you can’t expect what happens away from ones culture to matter… such as something like Soccer/Futbol. You couldn’t sell out a soccer game in the US if you gave the tickets away, but in Brazil or even the UK it would be maddening. To explain to a brazillian why soccer is so boring, it would be like talking to a wall. To explain why soccer is the greatest sport on the planet to an American would garnish nothing but laughs.

Regions do matter, because the cultures dictate the opinions.

78. xino

and I’m sure your name is Oldergamer right?

your comments are nothing but opinion

i want someone to comment with proof/reference and logic, not opinion based on views/perspective!

79. Goffee

So, NGP is Sony’s big bet for the future then, hope it gets everything right at launch:

Good numbers for the hardware launch
    Good launch games
    Launch surprises
    Good month 2,3,4 launches
    No short supplies bull

more – http://bit.ly/eCJMEn

80. OlderGamer

What Mushie said Xino.

That and your wonderfull sale comparison(globaly) neglected to include the Wii. Or handhelds for that matter. Or sales/use of PCs.

What your doing, really, is trolling a one sided slant.

And don’t start down the road of “My PS3 rules the world” crap. Because THAT is an opinion, as you accused others of using instead of facts.

Global sales figures would show a very close race between PS3 and xb360. Those same numbers would show Wii with a sizable lead over both. And, I believe those sale numbers would show both DS and PSP to be higher then the consoles.

But:

Scroll down the page. Note where you see software sales, and on what systems. Note where you see Steph tell us that xb360 has been the top selling system for 10months in a row.

Go talk PS3 to someone at a Gamestop in the states, they look at you funny. I am sure the same would be said if you trued talking xb360 in JP.

But here is the simple and most unbiased thing that can be or ever has been said here or in any game site about console sales:

You ready its a doozy:

Who cares?

You like what you like. You buy/play what you like.

I play a PC more today then I ever have. Doesn’t mean shit.

But if you sit there and try and tell me the PS3 is winning and has been winning this current gen in terms of hardware and software sales. Even globaly. I will say your wrong.

I think in the end the numbers between PS3 and xb360 will be very close. But I also beleieve that if MS does fall behind to a significant degree, we will see xbox next sooner rather then later. Same for Wii II, I expect to start hearing about that soon too.

I think of all of them Sony needs to keep this gen going the longest. I think with what they have invested in PS3 and the ground they lost this gen, they need a long and steady strategy with this gen.

But ya know, none of it matters.

And I can’t believe I dragged into a convo about it.

Gonna stay off the site when I take pain meds lol.

Carry on Xino, do what you do. Enjoy your stay.

But we are done.

81. Michael O’Connor

“Who cares?”

Best line ever.

82. StolenGlory

And sadly the most used in these hallowed threads when confronted by idiots who are hellbent on masquerading opinion as fact :/

83. Kerplunk

“What your doing, really, is trolling a one sided slant.”

That can be said of any single person’s opinion that another person doesn’t happen to agree with. Doesn’t automatically make it trolling.

84. Gekidami

I’d say just about everyone in this thread is “masquerading opinion as fact”…

85. Kuwabara

still uve got to be a fucking moron if u cant agree with the ps3 being ahead in sales by a few million if it was released same time as xbox 360 and being $100 – $200 cheaper.

86. spiderLAW

I love PS3. More so than the 360 (but i like 360 also)
    but you cant believe what you are saying is intellegent, can you?

There is no if, ands, or buts. What happened did happen and no amount of wishing will change that. The PS3 is losing (not by much mind you. In US , where i live, it is losing by a lot but overall is doing fairly well and clsing the gap with the xbox360 worldwide) but is indeed losing. Cant argue with facts man and cant say “well if this happened” because it didnt happen. Simple as that.

87. mojo

so much anger in here.

do this math and u will find love:
    x^2 + (y – (((sqr(x^2))^(1/3))))^2 = 1