Rumour – Bungie’s next game, Destiny, is “WoW in space”

Thursday, 17th February 2011 06:39 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Kotaku‘s reporting, via a “source,” that Bungie’s new, Activision-published IP, is a massive-multiplayer shooter known as “Destiny.”

The game is said to be a first-person shooter, according to a recently laid-off contractor, and the project is codenamed “Tiger.”

The game will run on a new graphics engine as well as feature “unique online connectivity and matchmaking technology”.

The site’s source labelled the project as “WoW in space.”

The contractor also claimed there was “budgetary concerns” and “unfair treatment” ongoing at Bungie.

Last April, Bungie announced a ten-year publishing deal with Activision for its next major “universe”.

No details have emerged on the new IP, but, at GDC Online last year, head story writer at the studio Joe Staten hinted at “a world that was always there for you.”

1. Toastrules

“claimed there was “budgetary concerns” and “unfair treatment” ongoing at Bungie.”

We warned you Bungie. We warned you about Activision. Did you listen? Nope

2. back_up

bungie ran way from kratos

3. xino

Backup seriously you are f**ing proving annoyance now!

Every goddamn comment you make, MUST it be about fanboynism!?

seriously how old are you man? You are not even taking anything seriously, which might just prove you are not even mature yet.

ANyway, Bungie just announced recently that there is no such thing that Bungie fired 30 employees because of lack of performance.

Such lie! Activition recently axed a lot of IP’s and are now telling Bungie to get rid of people not performing.

How a sales man work…not new to me.

4. back_up

xino seriously you are f**ing proving annoyance now!

bungie left ms because they were fed up lame halo got killed by kratos

seriously how old are you man?

5. Blerk

I’d completely forgotten that Bungie had signed with Activision. They must all be shitting themselves after last week. :-|

So when they say “WoW in Space” the actually appear to mean that it’s a persistent world rather than that it’s anything like WoW, right?

6. DrDamn

I think to an extent you need to put these two bits of info together …

“recently laid-off contractor”

&

The deal with Activision is a publishing deal, not ownership. So Activision will have a lot less control over the internals at Bungie. Obviously Bungie have certain commitments to Activision, but they still maintain control.

7. YoungZer0

So it’s an MMO? No thanks.

8. jnms

Every MMO nowadays is like Warcraft. Someone needs to come up with something original.

9. Freek

Bungie will be just fine and any political nonsense is internal to them. Because they only have a publishing deal with Activision. They remain an independent studio with full IP ownership of anything they create.

10. Erthazus

@8 you just don’t know good MMO’s sorry.

11. Crysis

I hate MMOs, I’m not paying to play online, not one game has made me see the value in it & i doubt that it’ll be any different with Bungie…

12. Blerk

No doubt Acti will be renaming it to “Call of Duty: Destiny” and charging subs. :-)

13. YoungZer0

@11: Then play it for free. There is a shitload of free MMO’s out there. Champions Online for example.

14. Paavi

Bungie has already dismissed these claims: http://www.bungie.net/News/Blog.aspx?mode=news#cid30678.

15. frostquake

@DrDamn

Bungie may have controls over “internals”, but unfortunately Activision has the Checkbook, also they have to right to not publish as well. So really who has Control, Bungie over what the develop, or Activision with their wallet?

It will still be very, VERY interesting to see what comes out of this deal. In game develop time, the clock is indeed moving very fast now!

16. DrDamn

True – they won’t have the flexibility they might have enjoyed under MS. However if they keep up with the commitments they have made to Activision in making the original deal then the influence Activision can have is minimised. It all depends what Bungie committed to. There in lies a big point – it’s what *Bungie* have committed to which controls how big an influence Activision will have.

17. DSB

The stuff the guy is saying doesn’t make any sense. What would an FPS have to do with WoW?

Also, show me a developer that doesn’t have “budgetary concerns” these days :P

I like the sound of improved matchmaking. Pushing that kind of technology has been a long time coming.

@1 Fired people are always the best sources. Really. And also, Activision doesn’t have any control over the studio beyond bringing their game to market.

@15 The fact that they have a gun to eachothers heads, like you point out, pretty much means that neither is able to bullshit the other. It’s not as if Activision has a lot of other titles to fall back on.

I’d be surprised if Bungie didn’t ensure that their contract put them in the better position in terms of negotiating an exit. I would expect that that was one of the top priorities for their lawyer when making that deal.

And if Activision didn’t feel like accepting a deal like that, then there’s always EA Partners or THQ. It’s no use overstating their role as an evil empire when you have a perfectly competitive marketplace.

18. kupocake

“Bungie”, “MMO”, “In Space”
    Looks like somebody stumbled across some clippings about the pre-Xbox version of Halo…

19. xxJPRACERxx

This won’t be a MMO, why would you need “unique online connectivity and matchmaking technology” in a MMO?

20. Gadzooks!

A Bungie-developed MMOFPS is just about as close to heaven as I can imagine, as long as there is enough PvE content and you dont get forced into PvP at any point as I much prefer co-operative play to competitive.

Borderlands really hit the spot for me, and I can see the Bungie MMO working a lot like it, but I’d expect much more depth to the lore.

21. TheWulf

Oh Bungie… you were cool once. You made Marathon. I loved you dearly and you were my friend.

Then you went to Microsoft and made Halo, which was almost as opposed to the intelligent game design of Marathon as anything could be. At that time you left innovation behind in favour of pleasing the masses, I was disappointed – but I couldn’t give up that last sliver of hope.

When I heard that you were abandoning Microsoft, my heart skipped a beat. Then, when I heard that you were going to Activision, I felt a pall of doom fall over my expectations. I knew immediately that I would never again see the Bungie that made Marathon, the Bungie of way back when that was about as wonderful as a developer of FPS games could be.

And now? WOW in space?

Well then.

Goodbye, Bungie. Thanks for Marathon. I won’t forget you.

22. theBEAST137

“WoW in space” can mean any number of things. For one thing, since it is labeled as a shooter, it is DEFINITELY not going to be like WoW gameplay-wise. My guess is that they mean they are going to try and match the popularity of WoW, only using a space-setting.

And people whine and moan when they hear about concepts (and rumors btw) like this years before they see gameplay or confirmation, and then once the game is about to come out, those same people will be at GameStop at midnight picking it up Day 1. People acted the same way when they heard about Warcraft III becoming an MMO, and look how that turned out. The greatest MMO of all time, as well as the most profitable game ever.

I have complete faith in Bungie.