Operation Flashpoint: Red River to release in April

Thursday, 17th February 2011 18:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Codemasters has announced a release date for its military sim, Operation Flashpoint: Red River.

It will land in the US on April 21 in Europe and April 26 in the US for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360, according to Gamespot.

According to Codemasters, the game will contain a 10-mission campaign which is playable for up to four players in co-op, and a new Fireteam Engagements mode will allow for skirmishes qith up to four players. One will allow you to face waves of enemies, and another one has you trying to save marines from a downed helicopter under heavy fire.

Watch a video below from Gamespot telling the story of auto-rifleman Ryan Balletto. There’s a lot of new gameplay footage in it.

1. LOLshock94

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSS

2. Erthazus

You got to be kidding me, how they can make a tactical shooter for less then 2 years? And it’s already in April.

Graphics sucks. Not even close to Modern Warfare 1… Arma 2 still rapes anything.
    Improvements? almost ZERO.

and fantastic grass from the first game. But you can’t do better anyway when consoles have not much of a Ram.
    http://www.arma2.ru/images/news/grannit/3-arma2_chernarus_nature_01.jpg – here you go. Great environment.

3. Grimrita

Lets face it, the standard of shooters has been lowered what with MW2 and BC 2 – both are full of crappy bugs and this will just to the collection with its 4 player co-op and I think I read that it wont even have multiplayer online…man, I cant stop yawning

4. DSB

Funny you’d say that Erth. ArmA 2 was made in two years as well. Logic wins the day yet again.

Really who gives a fuck about plants in something that’s meant to simulate a combat environment?

5. YoungZer0

This actually doesn’t look that bad. But the last game didn’t even try to deliver. Hope it changes this time around.

6. Yoshi

Enough said… why are games always like this :/ *facepalm*

7. Erthazus

@4, ““Oh wait, this isn’t war, that lawn over there looks totally whack”. Right, right.”

That “lawn” is an important part of Operation Flashpoint or ArmA.

Better environment, better use of your gear and you can hide well.
    It was always important in these games.
    ArmA 2 just pushed that forward. It’s really cool playing with sniper :D

If devs limiting themselves to consoles, they could do an EGYPT land or DUBAI maybe… with sand. That could be really cool.

8. YoungZer0

@6: I’m guessing it will probably have more depth than that. This game is developed by brits, after all.

9. DSB

I think the first one had a lot of promise, but Codemasters just pointed it in the wrong direction.

I played around with the editor, and some of the elements were really quite impressive. The AI was very responsive to scripting, it was just horribly restricted in a number of ways, possibly because of their racing game engine.

I don’t think anyone is going to get close to a succesful infantry simulation unless they restrict themselves to PC, which is honestly the only platform that gives you enough complex controls to make it work.

I also think that all the paramters involved means that you need to secure a huge long term investment that’ll allow you to essentially engineer all the complex systems needed to make it seem real. You need a big budget, talented people, and plenty of time. That’s just not going to happen when the genre is dead like it is today.

I hope someone comes along and makes something that might serve as a proof of concept on a small budget, but I’m not holding my breath.

That trailer was pretty lame, though :P

10. Yoshi

@8 It is?!! Then WTF have they been doing all this time haha XD

11. DSB

@Erth You can hide as long as the lawn is there, not depending on what it looks like, champ.

You should consider checking out the US armys own simulators on these sorts of things. That’s probably some of the ugliest software around, but it gets the parameters right, and that’s why it’s useful as a trainer.

Which in game terms would translate into the same exchange of rewarding gameplay, over scenery that simply looks pretty.

I agree though, going to the desert for an infantry game is pretty stupid since that’s one of the least suitable environments for infantry. Little cover, with total reliance on vehicles.

With all the gaping flaws in the wannabe-realistic infantry games today, they shouldn’t be worried about their environments or their graphic benchmarks, they should be worried about making their AI feel like actual soldiers.

Once they complete that, then they can give them a frolicking meadow to play in.

12. RickyWicky

I’m looking forward to this. Dragon Rising had its quirks, but I’m a tolerant gamer. I could look past its awkwardness. I just didn’t like how the campaign played out. It was so lazy… It’s like Codemasters didn’t even try to add any sort of engaging narrative to it other than the accorded text-briefing before a mission and the brief recap on the objective over radio as the mission starts, etc.
    The first OF and its expansions did it right.

But I’m hopeful that this one will do better where Dragon Rising kinda dragged its ass.