Duke Nukem Forever requires Steam log-in for PC play

Wednesday, 16th February 2011 02:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

If you want to play Duke Nukem Forever on the platform it calls ancestral home, you’ll need to swallow your anti-DRM bile, as every single PC version will require a linked Steam account.

A post on the Gearbox forums confirmed the decision to utilise Valve’s Steamworks DRM system.

A Gearbox community manager pointed out the advantages of the DRM system by commenting “You’ll always be able to install a copy of the game even if you lose your disc.”

In a later post, the representative re-confirmed that no other DRM system will be used, regardless of where and how the player purchases the game.

Duke Nukem Forever explodes onto PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 on May 3 in the US and May 6 everywhere else.

Thanks, Shack.

1. DSB

As someone who’s filled to the brim with anti-DRM bile, I don’t really see that as a DRM issue.

Steam have shown beyond a reasonable standard that you can satisfy paranoid publishers while offering a good service with good support, which is the polar opposite of what most other DRM solutions are able to offer. They tend to be poorly coded programs that serve no purpose but to look over your shoulder, while giving pirates a renewed sense of purpose.

I’d say this is more of a free enterprise problem. If PC manufacturers (accoding to the EU) aren’t allowed to slap Windows onto their products because it inhibits peoples right to choose their own third party software, then why would publishers be allowed to include Steam in their games using (or I guess violating) the same principle?

I don’t mind personally, I treasure my Steam, but I can understand why people might be offended by having to make an account with a third party that they might not want.

2. ultramega

Couldn’t have said it better myself.

3. Robo_1

I know very little about the Steam DRM, but most PC users seem content when publishers announce that they’re going the Steam route. If some kind soul could just summarise for me why Steam DRM has been given the nod from so many gamers and publishers over so many other DRM systems, I’d be keen to hear your thoughts.

4. wiking

It doesn’t matter, the people this is targeting, that is pirates, will still find a way to crack it. I’ve seen numerous games with Steam based DRM being played with no net connection.

5. Grimrita

@1 great post!
    My gaming hard drive(I have a stand alone one for Windows) fried recently and thanks to Steam, I was able to download again all those games that I purchased. Love it!

The DRM arguement has become stale and what amazes me is that its always the small minority who shout the loudest. Steam is the future of gaming…

6. back_up

fact = PC gamers are pirates and three shitty has 50% RROD

7. Gurdil

DRM is not only a problem for pirates. Remember what happened with Assassin’s Creed 2? Pirates actually could play the game while those who paid for it couldn’t for 2 weeks or so because of server problems. That being said, this shouldn’t happen with Steam so that seems like a good solution regarding DRM.
    I still detect a problem. Correct me if I’m wrong but DRM means you can’t play offline, right? So it basically means that you won’t be able to play DNF on the go, on your beloved laptop while on the train for example.

8. jacobvandy

Jesus, VG247… all this nonsense about trying to be a professional news source, yet you add your own vitriolic spin to an announcement that most PC gamers are very happy to hear. Not only is Steamworks one of the least intrusive DRM solutions out there, it brings with it a more robust platform of features than XBL and PSN combined, for FREE. I expect to see those kind of comments coming from a console fanboy, not an organization that fancies themselves “journalists.”

9. jacobvandy

You will need to be online when you activate your game key and download/install the game (obviously), but Steam does have an offline mode.

10. Kalain

Why is this even news and why have to tagged it as so sensationaist? If this is so bad for DNF, then why don’t you do the same things about DOWII:R which requires a steam account?

As others have said, steam is one of the less obtrusive forms of DRM, but its all packaged withing their own UI and store. We PC gamers like Steam/Steamworks because it works and doesn’t stifle your ability to play games unlike other forms of DRM *cough*UBISOFT*cough*.

Can we get rid of non-news like this please, or at least do some research on the subject?

11. Gurdil

@9 Oh I didn’t know that (I’m more of a console gamer). Thanks for the info. Well I guess there’s not much to complain about then :-)

12. ududy

It is bad, because with Steamworks in, the game will only sell on Steam and Direct2Drive, which is bad for competition.

What’s strange about it is that only last year Randy Pitchford, Gearbox CEO and DNF Messiah, complained that the steam almost-monopoly on the digital market is bad for gaming. Now he’s cooperating with it? Values, what fleeting things.

13. jacobvandy

That’s not true, games with Steamworks can be and usually are also sold in retail stores, including Valve’s own games. Aliens vs. Predator, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, Fallout: New Vegas, Unreal Tournament 3, and the aforementioned Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War II all used Steamworks and all of them were sold in retail stores as well as online through Steam, D2D, and elsewhere.

14. bpcgos

Brenna, please correct the news, people who read it will certainly thought that steam needs you to online all the time like ubisoft DRM did! Not all DRM bad, they’re being acceptable or not acceptable by pc gamer community depends on how its treats us!!

15. ududy

@13 – But, understandably, they’re usually not sold on other digital stores, such as Impulse, GamersGate, GamesPlanet, GetGames etc.

16. Erthazus

I’m glad it’s STEAM and thats it.

17. Nissanthen

The headline makes it sound like bad news.

@16 Agreed!

18. Sorvin

Agree with 16 and 17… Steam’s DRM is not felt at all and I prefer having all my titles on Steam so for me this is a great thing!

19. NeoSquall

Don’t tell me I’m the only one noticing the irony of this announcement?

An ex-vaporware game will use tools called Steamworks.
    I honestly laughed while reading it tonight.

Ok, now you can continue whining about DRMs and other shit.

20. Jan

The problem with Steam is it so dominated on PC, when the shops is starting to talk about stop selling PC games which could lead to “total” digital distribution via Steam, if that happen you have to buy most of your games there, and its not Steam controlling those prices, its the big publisher, think about it, its even worse then iTunes then.

21. Jan

Gaikai, called Steam the iTunes of the game industry, warning that, like Apple’s digital music service, Steam could become a monopoly

22. TheWulf

Any system that allows me to remain in offline mode for three weeks and still keeps my games fully available to me doesn’t register entirely as a DRM system to my mind. And if it is, it’s an incredibly benevolent one.

So… no issues here, either. None. If all DRM was as benign as this, I would be a very happy person.