Sony talks PS3 pricing fiasco, says it won’t happen again with NGP

Tuesday, 15th February 2011 05:29 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Five hundred and ninety-nine US dollars.” It’s a line that – thanks to YouTube’s cruel archive of embarrassment – will probably follow Sony to its grave.

There’s an upside to that, however: Sony remembers too, and it sure as hell doesn’t plan on making the same mistake again.

“I can’t talk about a definitive price at this stage. But since the very beginning we had a target in mind. So, when considering various features, we always had our price range in mind,” Sony Computer Entertainment president Shuhei Yoshida told Edge (via CVG).

“There were elements that we found pretty cool, but had to set aside to remain on target. It’s a big lesson we learnt from the PS3. There’s no point putting everything you want into a device and doing the math later. We always had the price and consumer in mind. We had to sell something that people could buy.”

At the same time, however, Yoshida was quick to mention that the NGP won’t come out price-matching the PSP or anything like that. Sony simply “can’t sell the NGP for the same price as a PSP,” he explained.

Similarly, SCE America CEO Jack Tretton recently mentioned that – while a giant, resource-devouring global launch might be fun – Sony’s trying to aim the gun away from its foot this time.

1. Crysis

Could have released a separate SKU aimed for the Xtremely-hardcore geeks & rich folk alike.

2. Erthazus

“Granted, all of this begs the question: if Sony’s had a price in mind all along, why can’t it just tell us already? Videogaming industry, sometimes we wonder about you.”

Because the best way to tell the price when journalists all over the world at the event, wth live streams and atc.

and thats E3

3. The1stMJC

They won’t, but they will. Sony sometimes is a little disconnected from consumers on prices and I doubt that will ever change.

4. orakaa

I bet they’ll announce the NGP price along with its “real” name just before the Nintendo 3DS is released.
    If they announce something like $250 or $300, for instance, it might make people consider waiting for it instead of buying the 3DS

5. Blerk

“Five hundred and ninety-EIGHT US dollars!”

6. Vistrix

If its around the £220 mark, its a day one purchase.

The PSP has impressed me to no end. I play it more than any of my consoles at the moment.

7. Crysis

@Blerk, Nah, Three Hundred and Ninety-Nine US dollars would be the absolute max, but I would expect it to retail for Two Hundred and Ninety-Nine US dollars.
    Personally I would pay up to Three Hundred and Ninety-Nine Australian Dollars which is the same currency as the US dollar but we still get charged 50-75% more, which makes no sense, shifting a couple million in bulk is far less postage than a single item & even factoring the 10% GST (tax) it costs over 75% more than to order a single item from overseas.
    RRP of new games: $109 AUD
    Ordering a new game from the UK (including postage): $50-$70 AUD

8. Crysis

Sorry if I’m posting long &/or boring comments, just pissed that Saints Row 2 crashed on me, & people like Erthazus wonder why I prefer gaming on my console, damn unreliable PCs =\

9. Blerk

Saints Row 2 was pretty wonky even on console.

I don’t actually think PSP2 will be $599, btw. I think I’m going to go with $399 for the Wifi-only one, more for the 3Gified model (if they actually bother to release that outside of Japan).

10. mojo

299-349

11. Madlink

Ah what the hell, I’ll give it a go too.

$349.99 for WiFi only SKU, $399.99 for the 3G enabled SKU.

Judging by the power of the machine demonstrated so far I’d say that was pretty fair pricing too. Obviously it would be nice if it was cheaper than that, but I think Sony can get away with selling for that price no problem.

12. Crysis

How many of you would buy day one if a carrier offered the 3G one at a subsidized price, say $200? Maybe even less if you purchase a higher cap…

13. Mattigan

It’s maths

14. mojo

12:
    that realy a question?
    instabuy
    thats a bargain.

15. Zeekiz

Sony can say what ever they want, bottom line is that they’re going to try and “convince” consumers to buy this product when it releases for an astronomical price.

I’m guessing straight out $500 for basic, $650 for 3G.

Current PSP is $200ish, if they’re saying that it won’t be the same price, it’s going to be more.

16. frostquake

They certainly will not announce the price close to the 3DS launch if it is not near the 3DS price…So there is the indicator..Price announce with 3DS then a lower price closer to 3DS, no announce of price at 3DS launch, then you can expect a definitive higher pricing…of course this is all speculations as usual!!!

17. Crysis

$300-$350 USD, Sony should know by now that they can’t sell it any higher than that. They have announced that they’ll be selling it at a loss, just try & find how much it costs to build.

18. xino

if the NGP is priced at £200….there will be SERIOUS competition with 3DS and NGP!

19. ManuOtaku

“At the same time, however, Yoshida was quick to mention that the NGP won’t come out price-matching the PSP or anything like that. Sony simply “can’t sell the NGP for the same price as a PSP,” he explained”.

I think this is the biggest hint we are gonna get, i will said between 300-350 dollars range, thats for the cheapest SKU model.even if they will sell the NGP at a lost, they wont sell it at 200$ or 250$ for that matter.