Morhaime: StarCraft Ghost canned due to WoW insta-success

Monday, 14 February 2011 22:13 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Blizzard boss Mike Morhaime has said that StarCraft Ghost was canned in due part because of the overnight success that “exploded” out of nowhere for World of Warcraft.

He told attendees at DICE last week that it was down to decisions regarding resources with the title at a time where the company was working on WoW and StarCraft II.

“We have to choose, we can’t do everything,” Morhaime said during a panel.

“Our vision for what’s possible directs that. We like complex games and we like casual games.

Morhaime went on to continue: “They were working on StarCraft Ghost the same time we were working on World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

“World of Warcraft exploded and we needed to make some resource decisions. It just wasn’t an environment in which a project like [Ghost] could succeed.”

StarCraft Ghost was a console-based spin-off in the StarCraft universe for PS2, Xbox and GameCube.

Thanks, Kotaku.