Steam is hugely profitable, has up to 70% of market: Forbes

Sunday, 13th February 2011 21:51 GMT By Brenna Hillier

An analyst at IHS Screen Digest has estimated Steam’s 2010 revenue at “high hundreds of millions of dollars,” while Gabe Newell has said the company is “tremendously profitable”.

Valve is remarkably tight-lipped about Steam’s financials, but a profile on founder Gabe Newell has rounded up some interesting snippets.

According to Forbes, Valve still employs only 250 staff, and “per employee” is allegedly more profitable than Apple or Google. The company is valued at at $2-$4 billion.

Steam’s user-base of 30 million is the largest in the industry after the big three – Microsoft, Nintendo and Sony.

It’s also the largest in the PC gaming sector. Last year the NPD revealed digital distribution passed boxed sales, and of that $4 billion market, Steam is said to hold “half to 70 percent”.

Thanks, Blue.

1. Mr-Brett

Might want to check the spelling in the title :)

2. Erthazus

Can’t wait for back_up comments like: PC gamers are pirates!!!111

3. Callum

I would cut off my right hand to get a job for Valve. Unfortunately…I would then be a pretty slow programmer, and would probably get fired. Perhaps I should cut off a foot?

4. thesamy

if u get a job at valve by cutting your foot
    i will give u mine so u will let play the games befor thay
    are out?
    i promis i will not let fall to the hand of a pirate! arrr

5. Hunam

Playing games before they are out is actually not as fun as you’d think.

6. DuckOfDestiny

@2 PC gamers are pirate scum!

Did I beat him to it? XD

7. Brenna Hillier

What a fantastic start to the day, a ridiculous headline typo. *sigh* I go with my dignity in tatters…

8. OlderGamer

I love Steam, too bad Steam wasn’t on PS3(would give LIVE something to worry about).

9. Yoshi

There there Brenna *taps on shoulder*… you also said ‘at at $2 billion’ :P

10. GwynbleiddiuM

@Erthazus Gabe Newell is a hacker who hacks and cracks PC games and put them on his GeeHot Steam for everyone to download [That would what u expect from back_up].

On serious note, Steam is the best solution out there for developers and publishers. The problem is most publisher still believe in physical media and they think it wouldn’t be right for a portion of costumers that prefer discs over digital. Well they are wrong, and they are wrong to have a separate digital distrobution solution other than the likes of steam and GoG. Cuz services like these have built their ground and now they are the leader in digital market. And TBH EA and Ubi should give up on their store and give it up for steam. they services suck and the clients are broken.

11. DSB

Cue every other online distributor sending out counters saying “That’s so not true, we have at least half of the market – But we aren’t going to substantiate that with actual numbers”.

12. tontsa91

Where is my HL2: Episode 3 / HL3?

13. osric90

Once again… If every single PS1, PS2, PS3, XBOX, XBOX 360, NES, SNES, GB, GBC, GBA, N64, WII and PC would be uploaded for buying online into an eternal account like on Steam… World would be just perfect and unified… No console wars, no exlusives nor ports… Only good and bad games to have. No need to move around tons of disc when travelling or moving… A high-end computer, controller (any other accesories you want, yes) and a huge hard-drive to keep all your games. Downloading them might be a pain in the ass though, unless you have a GOOD interner connection, but offering them in DVDs to install and backup (internet connection needed to play-register) yes, yes, yes. Ok, bye.

14. bpcgos

Dont bother it, its their company, not public company! As long as they treated us (customer) well, we dont need to know how much their profit or loss (ifits any)! Keep it that way, valve! We love secrecy (like your HL ep.3)!

15. badboy_122

where is our mysterious dude ”back_up ” ? vanished ? or working on a comment ? I’d love to see one comment from him !!!!

16. sickgamer

he is busy sucking move’s ball :)

17. FabioPal

@16 LOL!

18. Grimrita

He wont say a word because he will have to PROVE it, against these stats.

19. TheWulf

Oh come now, @16, I’m convinced back_up is a bot even, but really… we’re better than that. Aren’t we? :p

Actually I’d just like to hear back_up say one original thing to substantiate his identity and self-awareness. I’m truly fascinated by him if he’s a person. Either back_up is very young, a cleverly coded bot, or someone with a mental disability.

Though being someone with a case of the latter, I’m not getting that from him, really. I’m not sure what to make of him. Why do you do the things you do, back_up? Is there a reason behind your VG 24/7 post-heuristically calculated outputs?

Are you just trolling us to see what we’ll say next?

Are you perhaps some sort of bizarre extradimensional alien trying to communicate with us through the first medium you’ve discovered – that being this site, and you’re trying to blend in, look normal, and learn how to talk with the natives?

What are you? Who are you? I want to know!

I’d buy a back_up autobiography, I would.