Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure announced by Activision

Friday, 11th February 2011 16:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Activision has announced Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure for the toy and game industries. This the is unannounced game mentioned during the financial call earlier in the week.

The game allows players to transport “real-world toys into virtual worlds of adventure through the Portal of Power.”

Toys “with brains” will basically come to life inside the game in “connection with multiple gaming platforms, as well as on handheld gaming devices, mobile devices and on the web, remembering achievements and level-ups wherever they go.”

“These are more than action figures. They are inter-action figures,” said Eric Hirshberg, CEO of Activision Publishing. “By pairing world class character design, world class video game design and world class story telling into one entertainment experience, we’ve given players a whole new genre that bridges the gap between the real and virtual worlds. From the first time a kid picked up a stick and pretended it was a sword, toys have unlocked kids’ imaginations.

“And how often have you wanted to bring those toys to life, to see them become animated and take them on an adventure? Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure does just that.”

The game is set to make it’s worldwide debut with demos available at the American International Toy Fair which takes place nest wee from February 13 – 16 in New York City.

Hollywood creative talents were brought in to help bring Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure to life such as creative director Paul Reiche, and Academy Award nominated writers of Toy Story Alek Sokolow and Joel Cohen. T

Here are some game features:

• Each Character Has its Own Unique Powers — In addition to the highly collectible design and personalities of the toys themselves, each character has different powers and abilities, opening different experiences inside the game. Players can drop in and out of each level with as many different characters as they like, making each players experience unique.
  • Toys With Brains — Each toy/character remembers the player’s shared experiences. Achievements and leveled up capabilities earned in the game are embedded inside the toy and travel with the toy. Wherever the toy goes, its experiences go with it.
  • Portal of Power — The Portal of Power serves as the gateway between our world and the amazing world of the characters in Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure.
  • Play With Friends — By placing two characters on the Portal of Power at once, players can team up together for cooperative play, or face off in player versus player battle arenas utilizing their leveled up characters.
  • Diverse Experiences on Diverse Devices — While the toys can be used with gaming consoles to play the disc based game, completely different gaming experiences await them on the mobile app and inside the Web World, each of which were designed specifically for those platforms. The result is a remarkable number of different gaming experiences in one game.

To support the launch of the game, Toys “R” Us stores worldwide will feature several Skylanders Spyro’s Adventure exclusives to support the game’s fall release.

Shots from the game as well as the toys are below. There’s a video too.

1. AHA-Lambda

oh god that is abominable

how did spyro turn into that…thing?!

2. Stephany Nunneley

Well, at least it has Thunderstruck for a theme song.

3. 52pickup

That trailer played like a early Saturday morning toy ad from Mattel.

The game looks horrendous.

4. Erthazus

What the fuck they did with Spyro design?

ACTIVISION Fuckers…

5. Erthazus

When Insomniac will see this, they will shit their pants, eat their shit and die…

Gosh, thats basically the same thing like with new DMC game.

Dante = Spyro design. It’s horrible.

6. OlderGamer

But, … um the actual gameplay looks pretty good imo.

7. LePlatypus

Oh my Jesus Mary and Joseph. That thing looks horrendous, Activison have destroyed my favourite Playstation franchise and turned it into a washed up piece of shit. I hope those bastards are happy. I wish Insomniac did Spyro again, I love Ratchet and Clank but I don’t care for Resistance at all.

8. Erthazus

I’m interested… Why Insomniac/Sony sold Spyro franchise?

9. Phoenixblight

Because it didn’t make them money?

10. Erthazus

@Phoenixblight, OH FUCK, REALLY?

first spyro sold for 5 million units
    second game sold for 4 million units
    Spyro 2: Ripto’s Rage! for 3,5 million

Other crap that was made by VIVENDI Games aka Activision of course sold for… 300000 copies at best.

11. Monk

You can be more specified,why the sold crash and Spyro franchise ??

12. SuperCrazyLeprechaun

They stopped development on true crime but not this?

13. Michael O’Connor

@12 My thoughts exactly.

14. Phoenixblight

15. NeoSquall

@13 Mine too.

This is crazy and ridicolous.

16. G1GAHURTZ

I HATE Spyro the dragon!

17. Erthazus

@16, you hate everything, that is not Call Of Duty… =\

18. G1GAHURTZ

Playing spyro literally makes me feel nauseous.

No other game that I’ve ever played can do that.

The only other thing that came close was Half Life 2, which used to give me a headache if I played it for more than about half an hour.

19. onlineatron

What Spyro game did you play?

20. Monk

Oh my, so Spyro make the same feeling when you play HALF LIFE ?
    Really, did you play Spyro other that what we know ?

21. Monk

Than * :(

22. DBZ0wnz

Im tempting to suicide now…

Spyro is the best francise ever! from Insomniac of course.

This in so many ways, is so fucked up.

23. DBZ0wnz

Oh and did I mention there is no Spyro toys.

24. KitKatKita

@ 23
    I have some Spyro Toys on my shelf, as amazing as they first 3 games made by Insomanic.
    I think I got mine out of a Happy Meal from Mcdonalds when I was a kid, lol.

@ Everyone

I, myself love every single Spyro game.
    The ones made by Insomanic were great, but – Software has advanced, so should the games. My opinion completely.
    The ones made by Activision, in my opinion were amazing. Apart from Spark’s voice changing all the time, they were great. I love stories, and I do hope they decide to make another Trilogy – because the last one they made was amazing, great concept.

This game, in my opinion is great. Apart from the way they’ve made Spyro. I do hope this game has a story with it – and then carries on where you can play with other characters.

One thing I like is how you can use the Portal to make the Toys go into the game – Let’s hope they decide to make more games like this.

I, Myself am a collector. I love games, old to new. My favourite type of games are Fantasy and Adventure games. Spyro hit the nail with that one. Been my favourite game ever since it came out.

One of the things which does disappoint me is there is only one Dragon Character – that could change. It is coming out in Fall, so, what they have as Spyro now, could change to something far greater.
    I hope they make many different dragons with different abilities – Such as a Air Dragon, Fire Dragon, ‘Purple Dragon’ (AKA Spyro) which can master all the elements. and others. I also hope they can make this so you can design the characters you would like online, and then purchase them online – This could bring them LOTS of money – and if you don’t like the Spyro they have now, you could possibly create your own (if they allow the feature that is!)

With blogs like this, it is to express opinions towards games and new technology. Everyone is basing it on how Spyro looks – why not look at everything other than Spyro, then Spyro. Add tips which they could do to improve this.

As it is coming out in fall, I myself will be sitting here waiting day in day out for it to come out and to hear updates on it.
    I sadly cannot reach the Demo Days they have, as I’m in England myself, which has rather upset me. So, if they do another Demo day – I really hope they decide to do it in Portsmouth in England :D So I can go try it out!

Other than that, and the nagging, and lecturing and all my opinions in this. I’d like to say:
    This game will be a blast – Cannot wait to play and see what is in store over the next coming of months!
    KEEP US UPDATED!

25. spyrorullz

I am a huge Spyro fan and I really like the sound of Skylanders Spyro’s adventure but I do not very much like how Activision has created Spyro. He doesn’t really look like Spyro at all.

If Activision can change how Spyro looks then I can bet that much more people will by the game, and also if it says Spyro’s adventures it shoud be more about Spyro, not him being one out of 32 characters.

But that is my opinion. Also if they can, it would be really awesome if they could make another thilogy because the last one was the most amasing thing I have every played.

See-ya later. By spyrorullz