Kotick more intested in making CoD fun, partially blames Acti for Guitar Hero’s lack of innovation

Friday, 11th February 2011 19:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bobby Kotick has told CNBC that Activision is more concerned with making sure the Call of Duty franchise is fun to play, rather than how to create a subscription model for the series.

Speaking in an interview with CNBC’s Julia Boorstin, Kotick said: “We don’t really spend a lot of time thinking about how to convert the Call of Duty experience to a subscription model.

“What we really spend time thinking about is how do you create new and compelling Call of Duty experiences that are going to delight the audiences, and usually people are willing to pay for the content if you deliver them something spectacular. Which is our intention.”

Kotcik also touched on the cancellation of the Guitar Hero series, stating that the company has invested millions in the series and since sales have dwindled, the built-in costs attributed to DLC were no longer worth the expense. According to Kotick, Activision was paying 100,000 to convert songs and share revenue with the rights-holders, essentially putting Activision in the music business.

Watch the interview below or over on CNBC.

1. Teabag

Ah, finally get to see the prick speak IRL, and yup, sounds like a prick as i expected.

COD is no longer fun. They need to release it every three years now with IW literally gone. Give more focus on SP and not a MP milkage.

Activision, EA realized how asshole-ish they were getting and has largely improved their image. About fucking time you stepped up too.

2. NeoSquall

Making shit fun is really hard, Kotick.

3. DSB

That one brunette clearly hadn’t even read a wikipedia page on games before doing that segment. What a useless cunt :P

Oy gevalt. I mean, I’d totally buy that game, but still…

Don’t much like the forecast of “conservative” Activision, though. They should funnel that dough into making some high end, highly talented studios.

4. Erthazus

““Warriors of rock sounds violent…” – Yeah bitch, people are going to buy that expecting to electrocute people to death with ungrounded cabinets, and strangle them with guitar strings.

:D hillarious!

5. LOLshock94

have to say his strategy is very good but i reakon this year could well be the shittest year for blizzard

6. LOLshock94

*activation blizzard

7. OlderGamer

Two horses:

WoW

CoD

If either or both stop winning races, things could get ugly for them. But I bet that they have stuff going on in the back ground that they haven’t announced yet.

And I bet they get DiabloIII and everything else Blizz does on consoles soon. Thats where Acti makes most of its fortune.

If I could request a game, where is Rock N Roll Racing slightly tweaked/revamped and in HD for XBLA/PSN/Steam? That I would buy.

But really I expect …Craft spin offs hitting consoles within two years.

8. DSB

@7 We’re on the brink of Blizzards 20th birthday, and they’ve already started teasing a big celebration.

I’m pretty sure that means more than a pet in WoW. In fact I’d be pretty shocked if it didn’t mean their entire back catalogue being released on Battle.net.

9. xInFeRnO

I’m sorry, but what the hell was she thinking when she said;

“is it possible a music game like guitar hero is having a harder time competing when other games are so much more violent”

why do they have it in their minds everyone buys games for violence. jeeez. that could possibly be the most retarded thing i’ve ever heard.

10. xInFeRnO

if that would have been me i woulda just said “not at all, what you just said is absolutely rediculous”

11. abot

Activision is wagering alot of money in Bungie and their IP in the hopes that it becomes their next major franchise.

12. Lee Morris

“The CEO also said he partially blames Activision for the Guitar Hero franchise not being more innovative with each release.”

Who else is to blame, EA maybe? Or am I just not understanding what he is meaning?

Also he does allude to Acti making compelling content that people will pay money for. That could easily mean a PSN+ type but could also mean stand alone games. So either way we’re non the wiser!

13. GwynbleiddiuM

I can’t see how there can be innovation in a game that u should mash buttons in order to keep the rhythm right.

And FYI Cod is no longer fun, it lost it’s charm after CoD4, and it’s all thanks to your idiotic policy having a CoD game a year. And I think even the hardcore fans of the series eventually will become feud up with this strategy that when they hear the name they start to throw up.

No that is not fun, that’s taking advantage of the community’s passion for the game. And that will hit you back in the face one day and that day you’ll have to kiss you chair goodbye.

14. DSB

I think the upgrades would be in the spectacle, the selection and possibly the community.

I loved the hell out of the first three Guitar Heroes, but I was pretty eager to see some more customization, and some more stuff happening on the screen as I played.

A lot of the stageshows weren’t really all that exciting, and let’s face it, if you can do anything, then making a semi-interesting gig while you’re (digitally) shredding your ass off isn’t all that interesting to look at.

You could also go from a rigid song structure to letting people create their own. A solo-generator or even jam-generator perhaps, matching them up against others and what not. It’s doable!

Personally I see no reason why Guitar Hero would stagnate, other than the limited visions of the developers and Activision. I’m a little disappointed to see it end like that.

15. AHA-Lambda

i feel like pointing out by the way: cnbc is owned by vivendi universal

so is activision ;)

16. DSB

And their bias in that interview consists of telling the world that the company is worth 10% less than it was 24 hours ago?

Another slam dunk, AHA-Lambda. Tell the world!

17. AHA-Lambda

I just felt like pointing it out and probably indicates why they had the exclusive story in the first place.

I at no point cried bias -_-

18. frostquake

Maybe…Guitar Hero: Call Of Duty Edition? Camouflage Guitar? Maybe give your Guitar “Gun Power”? Play “Hit Me With Your Best Shot” and in the background you get to watch water-boarding??? Or, I know in Call of Duty, pick up Guitars and Whack Bad Guys over the head with it??? Geesh…”rolling eyes” indeed!!

19. DSB

I would totally buy that frostquake. After each level just have people kick back with some shredding. With Ghost on the tambourine. I dig.

Best coverage yet, hands down.

20. Dralen

Let’s be honest here. Activision BLIZZARD has nothing to worry about, they have two of the best selling game franchises in there possession at the moment. Don’t forget they have the Blizzard part of their company as well, and we know Blizzard always delivers.