Cave Story getting 3DS remake, full 3D revamp

Friday, 11th February 2011 05:41 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Cave Story on WiiWare? That was just a warm-up.

GamesRadar got the full scoop on Daisuke “Pixel” Amaya and NIS America’s Cave Story overhaul to end all Cave Story overhauls. This time, the little indie platformer that could is leaping out of its retro-inspired coat and straight into the third dimension.

“The difference between the original Cave Story and Cave Story 3D is going to be the environments are going to be in full 3D, but we will keep the original style of the game, which is a 2D scrolling action game,” Amaya said.

“Primarily, this is based off of the original game. In a way, it’s almost like a true 3D remake from scratch,” added producer/music director Tyrone Rodriguez. “So we’ve added a couple of things that Daisuke and I have gone over, as far as some secrets and some Easter eggs that are going to make some of the original fans really happy, and it’ll also add some longevity for the game for anybody who’s playing it, and sees these grand new areas that we’re adding, as well.”

This is something we can definitely get behind. Just, uh, maybe call it quits after you’re finished. If Cave Story gets a threemake with Kinect controls and mid-level Angry Birds-style slingshot minigames, we’ll lose all faith in the world and actually go live in a cave.

1. back_up

3ds is a failed product nobody cares about it

2. monkeygourmet

You moron, do you enjoy being wrong everyday?

3. Crysis

I don’t like Nintendo lately, they find a fad to capitalize on then make countless remakes & sequels instead of making fresh franchises, isn’t everybody tired of Mario, Zelda, Pokemon, Donkey Kong, Kirby or Metroid yet? I admit that an occasional game of Super Smash Bros or Mario Kart is ok & I also admit that i enjoy the Pokemon games for short periods, but it seems that it’s the same old thing with a fresh coat of paint, apparently that’s enough for everybody…

4. Gromple

@3 That said, the original Cave Story was an awesome game and I’d love to play this remake on 3DS. As a matter of fact, it would be one of the games I’m looking forward to the most on Ninty’s new system. I just hope Daisuke and the rest of the team translate the controls to ’3D’ well. A lot of attention went to that part of the original.

5. Blerk

I still haven’t picked this up on WiiWare. If it’d been on XBLA I’d have had it day one. :-|

6. back_up

you monkey do you enjoy pirating games everyday
    NGP will be better and NGP preorders will be bigger than 3ds

7. FabioPal

@6 You’re slowly becoming my new idol.

8. SOMI

@3 I’m the same well actually I never liked Nintendo in the first place, they ruined gaming altogether with their crappy franchises like mario, zelda, metroid ect. Seriously though I was glad when Gunpei Yokoi died, he deserved it for making the lame GB, now if only Miyamoto dies… a man can dream.

9. JonFE

@SOMI:

That is a really lame thing to say…

10. Crysis

@9, Agreed ;\ I sincerely hope that’s sarcasm.

11. SOMI

We all know Nintendo have been shit ever since their started, that’s why Sony thought ” we can easily beat them at gaming” and so they did. Shame Wii is ahead though but still Miyamoto is close to retiring, will be a happy day for “true” gamers.

12. Blerk

So Sony beat them apart from when they didn’t. Flawless victor… wait!

13. OlderGamer

@3 I used to kind of feel the same way.

Then I relized that Nintendo is always making new versions of those games and expecting me to buy them. Or you for that matter. Their idoligy is that every year millions of kids turn ten for the first time, and pick up a Zelda game, for the first time.

And it works.

They know their demographic and they nail it everytime.

So long as they can keep doing that, all is good.

I also feel that is why we so many JP reboots/redos of old games with updated graphics. If they modernize old classics for new generations/platforms it opens up the IP to new younger gamers that may never have had the chance(not old enough) to experience the game. That and of course they can sell a few on nostalga alone(if a rebooted Guardian Hereos hit xbla – I would buy it in a flash, for example).

I just think that a lot of gamers get the wrong idea when thinking about Nintendo. They aren’t trying to make the next CoD. Just trying to make the next Mario, Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Metriod, Zelda, Kirby, etc.

14. OlderGamer

And just to add to that the new fad and gimmick, your very much right. But thats what keeps those franchises new. If they didn’t add in Motion Controls, for example to Donky Kong Returns for the Wii, a new to the franchise gamer might just pick up one of the older ones instead.

Fads/Gimmicks are just Nintendos way of refreshing and keep it different/interesting. Besides the JP as a wole are very trendy and fads come and go but are very often a big deal. They don’t have the same cynisism towards that stuff that we do. I remember their Cowboy/western fad – I kid you not people wore boots and cowboy hats all over, it looked as if asia had invaded Texas.

15. Elrood

@Somi
    What the hell is a “true” gamer? We are all gamers. I doesn’t matter whether you like casual, hardcore or just a well written story. Nobody is forcing you to buy the products of Nintendo.

“We all know Nintendo have been shit ever since their started”
    Don’t force your opinion on us by saying everyone here hates Nintedo.

You probably think I’m a Nintendo “fanboy”, but no.
    I love and hate them all for their games.

16. TheWulf

I’m interested by this, but I wonder how it’ll sit with me after having played the PC original. It seems to lack a lot of the charm of the original visuals, which were much more colourful and distinct.

Though for anyone who has not yet played Cave Story, you’re in for a real treat, I can promise you that!

And while I’m posting…

*steals back_up’s tinfoil hat.*

Oh noes! Now the pirates can brainwash you too! Run back_up! Run from their evil socialistimificating ray which shoots from the orbital weapons platform we all know they have up there!

*cackles.*

17. back_up

*”steals” back_up’s tinfoil hat.*
    What else expected from PC gamers just stealing

18. StolenGlory

“nobody cares about it?”.

I find that hard to believe.

19. back_up

just because casual gamers and grandparents are pre ordering you are finding it difficult
    look at kinect and wii sales only for noobs