No, Randy Pitchford did not confirm Borderlands 2 is in development

Thursday, 10th February 2011 23:40 GMT By Staff

Various sites have either misunderstood or incorrectly read a quote taken from an interview we conducted with Gearbox president Randy Pitchford during a Duke Nukem Forever event in Las Vegas this week.

Contrary to what is being reported, Randy Pitchford did not confirm that Borderlands 2 was currently in the works at Gearbox.

The quote – which explicitly implied Pitchford was joking – read: “‘I’m sure Duke will have some demands of me and I’ve gotta work on Borderlands 2, right?’ (laughs)”

Please pay close attention to the “laughs” bit at the end. This clearly implies Pitchford was making a joke. We thought we made that clear. Apparently, not clear enough.

To set the record straight, we contacted the man himself. This is what he had to say on the matter: “Yes, of course I was joking. It’s absurd to think otherwise and irresponsible for someone to represent otherwise,” he said.

“There has been a lot of people assuming that we are working on Borderlands 2. The reality is that we have made no announcements about future plans there.

“I was making a joke about the assumption that people have made that effort on Duke affects the future of Borderlands.

“It was a joke. I should know better.”

Hopefully, this will quell any further rumors or false confirmations that Pitchford admitted to VG247 that Gearbox was, indeed, working on Borderlands 2.

To clarify matters even further, we were not asked to make such a clarification by either Gearbox or Borderland’s publisher, 2K Games. We have done this of our own accord, not only for personal reasons, but professional reasons as well.

We have also inserted a bit of a disclaimer at the end of the interview, to make this even more transparent and hopefully, perfectly clear.

Thank you for allowing us to clear things up a bit.

1. David Sarkisjan

When I saw the news on N4G, I came in here in search of any reference to the announcement. I guess this explains it. [Some] reporters just does not seem to know how to read this and grab any attention to get the attention. Ironic, seeing that a lot of them hammer FOX, which is also totally unprofessional. Considering what audience wants to hear/read, it makes sense.

2. Stephany Nunneley

Hey Gaming Bolt. Right Back at yah.

Also no, it specifically states in Lauren’s interview -laugh – funny how 3/4 of other sites did not mention that bit. Ergo, no need for a retraction.

And as far as sourcing others? We do it all the time. Everyday, all day. Sorry if I never visit your site, personally, to source you. Cheers.

3. nofear360

Gaming Bolt sucks. I wish it didn’t exist.

P.S. Though that bit about VG247 (for some reason) avoiding sourcing smaller sites is 100% true, unfortunately :/

4. iampaddy

Why are you kicking up such a fuss?

Let them think what they want.

Hell, we all know it’s in development anyway. The first one was too much of a success to not build a sequel.

Christ, you’d think you’d uncovered secret government plans or something from this article.

5. Nathan Grayson

@5 How does one obtain a “bolt” of gaming? Is it a unit of measurement? Actually, on second thought, it sounds more like a trendy energy drink. Seriously, though, so long as you’re using this thread for blatant self-promotion, what actually separates your site from the rest of the pack? What makes you so worthy of talking down to everyone, specifically? I’m actually curious.

@4 I can’t speak for everyone else, but I don’t care who I’m sourcing in the slightest. Big site, small site – makes no difference to me. Generally, though – at least, in my experience – smaller sites don’t actually break much news. They just pick it up from other sites, and my policy is to follow a story back to its original source. If you can point out some smaller sites that do frequently break stories, get scoops, etc, then I’d definitely be interested in hearing about them. The more comprehensive we can be, the better. At least, so far as I’m concerned.

6. M2Kx

First time I heard something about gaming bolt, hope it was the last… Seriously, I hope this guy is not a real staff member, because it’s just embarassing.

@news:

Well, we all know, that there’s no Borderlands 2 in development, because Borderlands’ sequel is called Borderworlds right? RIGHT?!

7. Dralen

I’m certain Gearbox are concentrating on getting Duke Nukem and Alien: Colonial Marines out the door before they even think about making a Borderlands sequel.

8. Stephany Nunneley

@6 Because. He didn’t say it. Yeah, it may be in development. Who knows. Still, he didn’t say it.

And Nathan is 1000% right. However, it’s hard to do when there are 100 new blogs popping up each day. I guess I will have to start adding every single gaming site or blog out there to my RSS feed. Not like it doesn’t have 70+ on it as it is, with over 50+ posts showing up on it every five minutes. Hopefully, larger sites will do the same, you know, quote the smaller ones because they were small once too. However, if a larger site we got the news from didn’t source the original source – how are other sites to blame if the news actually came from Skinny Jeans Gamingboi’s Gaming Blog? Most just quote what they think is the original source. Also, if a publisher sends a mail or a press release, are we suppose to flip a coin and choose a site to source? No.

And as far the rest goes, being mean on the internet just because you can is so 2006. Seriously. Worry about yourself.

9. GZ_Dave

Steph, are you trying to tell us that if, say, CVG had run this interview with that exact same quote, VG247 would not have run a similar story? Because I am almost certain that would not be the case.

10. mathare92

@10 http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lbv91fCrpc1qei4vno1_500.gif

11. Stephany Nunneley

@11 Well, I saw something the other day, two things sort of like this actually. Read the original source, saw the developer did not say it, and didn’t post it.

When I was first starting in this business, I was very, very green and took shit at face value. Now, a few years out, I feel I can wade through the bullshit a bit better – especially after making a few mistakes and taking things out of context a few times along the way. Those times I admitted it. And I moved on and learned from them. I assume many others in this business have done this as well.

Thing is, you can’t win no matter if you try and set the record straight or just let things be. So, you just have to stand by what you say or do and move on. :)

12. Michael O’Connor

Although it’s clearly obvious that Sam is just a butthurt tit, VG247 criticising another website for misquoting domething for the sake of a catchy headline is a very large pot calling a really small kettle black.

I love you guys (especially you Steph, you’re an awesome lady), but this is a transparent fact that only a blind person wouldn’t notice.

13. f1r3storm

@11: I don’t know about other folks, but i saw this news yesterday on several sites and had to do a few clicks to get to the original VG247 article with this quote. And with that “(laughs)” at the end it was quite clear to me that he’s joking.

As Steph said, most other sites didn’t even include that part when quoting, which just takes away an essential part of this quote from Randy.

14. f1r3storm

Oh… and if this was really a confirmation, i guess VG247 would have done a separate story about it, because that would have been a huge thing. ;)

15. Patrick Garratt

I think we should all just try to get along, personally.

As I’ve said previously, this sort of situation will always occur in the online games press due to its basic nature, but we really are trying to move away from this style of reporting.

As f1r3storm says, we would have taken any specific news from the interview to run as a separate piece, and we would certainly have headlined it if Randy had confirmed to us that Gearbox was working on a Borderlands sequel, but as it stands I think it was clear from the original text that he was joking.

Michael has a valid point. VG247 hasn’t exactly been a bastion of journalistic integrity in the past, but that’s something we’re committed to changing for the future.

Shit happens. I know how horrible it is for a developer or publisher to publicly denounce something you’ve written, and I don’t want anyone reading this to think we live in a glass house.

There’s no need to “hate” on each other. We’re all on the same team, ultimately.

16. Blerk

Wow, they’re working on Borderlands 2?! :-D

17. Patrick Garratt

I’m playing it right now.

18. Ercarret

I think you did they right thing. Having read the original VG247 article, I was surprised at how the quote from it was used on other sites. I do think that it was a “we both know that we’re working on it (in some capacity)” joke, but that’s still pretty far from actually confirming it. So I fully understand why you clarify it, and I think it is a good thing that you do it.

19. Blerk

If VG247′s going to be a paragon of news virtue from here on in then I think the commenters ought to promise a similar thing. :-)

20. Patrick Garratt

I only said we’d try. We will, inevitably, still completely fuck things up a lot.

*covers ass*

21. Johnny Cullen

Phft. You’re all in the past. I’m playing Borderlands 3 in 4D.

22. Blerk

It wouldn’t be the same if you didn’t. :-D

23. nofear360

@ 13: Stephany: The thing was that we were the first one to break the story because we found a tweet nobody else did. And then your Johnny picked it up from us via NG4 and didn’t source us.

I’m not trying to be mean. I love VG247! But that disregard (I don’t wanna go into too much detail) was not cool. I agree with you that you can’t track the source when EVERYBODY is reporting certain news, but when you have only one origin and not so many sites are picking it up and it’s clear it came from one site first, it’s kind of a douche move, in my opinion.

24. GZ_Dave

@Pat, Re: everyone getting on – 100% agree. There are no hard feelings from me whatsoever.

But as you say, it can be quite disheartening (and, in fact, actually quite offensive) to see someone label you as “absurd” and “irresponsible” when they’ve been utterly irresponsible themselves namedropping a game they don’t want anybody talking about on record, and in a formal interview. This seems like a PR spin at the highest level to make other people look silly when, actually, a little too much was said.

I also think you’ll agree that adding a [laugh] on the end of a quote does not necessarily ‘explicitly imply’ that whatever they’ve just said is a load of bullshit. If Microsoft threw in ‘Oh btw, we’ve got to work on Halo 4 [lol]‘ into an interview, the internet would erupt.

I love Randy, I think he’s one of the nicest and most pleasant guys in the industry, and to be fair to him I think it’s fair to admit that – as is sadly fairly standard in the biz – the headlines were a little jazzed up. But I don’t think it’s fair to publicly criticise journalists for referencing this particular quote at all.