Family in Uncharted movie has “Sopranos” feel to them

Thursday, 10th February 2011 14:33 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Uncharted movie director David O.Russell has told IGN that the family feel to the flick will be like The Sopranos. Yes, The Sopranos.

O.Russell said that the movie would describe the tale of a “tough” criminal family.

“I think if we take that family dynamic that we have in The Fighter, and put that in terms of a grander stage, with a crime family that metes out justice in the world of art and antiquities. If you’re the head of a museum, or head of state, you’ve got to deal with them, and they’re badass,” he said.

“They’re like the Sopranos in some ways, but they have great taste, and they have a sense of justice.

I would love to do that with Mark [Wahlberg], Robert De Niro, and a couple of hot women, it could be very thrilling.”

Whilst he couldn’t talk any further about it, he did hint at supernatural aspects for the movie.

“All I’m going to say – I’m not supposed to talk about it – but what’s wrong with the supernatural?”

O.Russell also talked about the pressure he’s up against from fellow gamers.

“I don’t think there are too many games you can play through that make you go – ‘Well that’ll make a great movie.’ There’s not a lot of references on it, so I don’t think there’s a blueprint that says you must directly translate the game to the screen.”

1. OrbitMonkey

Lol… I laugh, because otherwise I’d cry :’(

2. kdogg

Why even call it uncharted?

3. bobiroka

This just made me do a ‘joey deacon’ noise out loud in the office. Seriously, just reading about this recalls to mind the Lars Von Trier movie, The Idiots.

Wrong. So so wrong. I am going to break down and cry…

4. baps

gettin sick of this. why would you expect an uncharted movie to be good? is it all of the amazing video game adaptions that came before it??

5. bobiroka

And to think we’re talking about an Academy award nominated Director here, who to add insult to injury arguably got Christopher Nolan’s place in the running for Best Director. WHAT IS GOING ON!?!?!

6. The_Red

This director hasn’t even read the game’s summary, let alone play it!

7. CaptPierce

Surely this guy must’ve been lobotomized to think this will be a good idea. To even think this guy directed one of my favorite movies last year (which he got two Oscar nods for), is insulting. Please don’t let this happen. :(

8. Dralen

*reallllly long sigh*

9. xInFeRnO

What an absolute dickhead.

10. YoungZer0

And yet he keeps saying how much he enjoys the games …

11. KBST

I like him. I guess the movie can’t be worse than the games anyway. But that’s just my opinion. I can see why people enjoy the Uncharted games though.

12. spiderLAW

son of a bitch this guy is some arrogant fucktwat
    the problem with game to film is that these directors, writers, and producers think that they are ABOVE games, like games are just child’s play.

13. xInFeRnO

@12 yeah it does seem that way doesn’t it. as if they can just fuck with our franchises

14. Maximum Payne

@12 And a top of all is that any of those you mention didn’t played Uncharted!!

15. HighWindXIX

So, you know that Killzone trailer that came out like a month ago? The story focused one? Well there’s a part in it where that one guy yells “this is an outrage!” I need to cut that out of the video so it can be my stock response to anything about the Uncharted movie…

16. earlyrock

Just when I thought I was out, they pull me back IN!

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Laughably ridiculous. I’ll have no part of this.

18. CloneTro0per

Translation: I’m an arrogant Hollywood douchbag who refuses to believe that the Art, Story and Characters of a Video Game cannot, and will not, match that of Hollywood. I am more than happy to take the rights to a video game and completely rape it because whatever I come up with will be 1000 times better.

Sad thing is the general public will go see it and think that Uncharted is actually like this and think its fantastic.

I hate Hollywood douchebags like this guy.

19. Gekidami

Wait, that dosnt make sense. So he says that Uncharted is a game he thinks will make a good movie, yet he’s going to throw out all of that stuff he thinks will make a great movie… For the movie?

20. Freek

Yeah, the blue print does exist: other adaptations. the more succesfull ones manages to stay faithfull to the source material and also adapt it into an interesting movie.
    You need a director that has a passion for the original material and the talent to match it.

Look at all the great comic book adaptation lately, they all have one thing in common: a director who loved the original comic and “got” it.

21. SuperCrazyLeprechaun

Glad to see people are giving this movie a chance.

22. Kuwabara

bloody jews, ruining the movie

23. osric90

Uncharted is above any fuckin’ adventure movie, step a little aside Raiders of the Lost Ark, even if you inspired it, yes. O’Russell better starts thinking about this before stepping into shit and not being able to change shoes.

24. Isaaclarke37

I am praying that this movie doesn’t suck, because by the looks of it…it will.