HTC purchases $40 million stake in OnLive, acquires London-based Saffron Digital

Tuesday, 8th February 2011 18:05 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Andorid and Windows 7 phone maker HTC has purchased a $40 million stake in OnLive.

OnLive already has an application on iPad on the market and one in the works for Android tablets, so this new deal is all part of its previously announced plan to further expand into mobile devices as well as televisions such as Vizio’s line of home offerings.

HTC has also acquired Saffron Digital, the London-based mobile video specialist, and has announced Saffron will remain an independent agency, meaning it will still be free to offer its services to other phone makers such as Nokia and Sony Ericsson which are current clients.

According to FTtechhub, HTC has text, video and games covered, and all that’s left is music and applications.

1. G1GAHURTZ

Money down the drain.

2. OlderGamer

I like OnLive G1GA. It works very well.

3. Michael O’Connor

@1 Not entirely sure what you mean by that, considering the service is apparently doing quite well.

Pity everything HTC makes is a bit shit though. Their smartphones are terrible.

4. Stephany Nunneley

@3 I beg to differ. The HTC Evo is rather nice, and makes Samsung’s Instinct look like a mobile phone from the 80s. Of course, that is giving that piece of shit Instinct a compliment too.

5. Michael O’Connor

@4 The Evo is alright, but the Desire (the most popular one right now) is a buggy piece of garbage.

I don’t know what it is about its internet design, but I’ve seen so many bug reports, compatibility issues and just general app unreliability with the model that it’s downright embarrassing.

The Instinct is nothing great. It was a poor phone even on release. It’s *supposed* to be a low grade phone. But why would anyone want one of those when the Galaxy is being released on price plans for next to nothing?

Benchmark test for comparison: ClickHere

6. Michael O’Connor

Edit: That link probably won’t work, so try this link instead.

7. MushroomStamp

HTC incredible is still one of the best phones on the market even after almost a year being out.

following smartphones is part of my job and you have to be on crack if you think HTC is garbage. They are one of the best out there. LG, Samsung, Sony, Nokia all pale in comparison

I only concern myself with the high end smartphones, mid tier and low tier, you get what you pay for.

8. Michael O’Connor

@7 Benchmark test says otherwise. My lag-fixed Galaxy S outclocks almost every HTC phone three or four times over.

9. Stephany Nunneley

@8 I got an Instinct because Sprint does not carry an iPhone and it as the only touch screen phone available with my carrier at the time. I would have been better off getting an edding Jitterbug or even a Go Phone from Walmart. The thing is so shitty, and despite being babied an less than two years old,the touch screen no longer works, and I am LUCKY to be able to use voice activation to even get a call out. The thing will now automatically dial random numbers all by itself when turned on, and when I try to text, it auto inputs random letters. It’s like it has been possessed by a drunken demon monkey, without the added benefit of humor.

/end rant