I Am Alive digital-only report was a “joke”

Monday, 7th February 2011 18:48 GMT By Patrick Garratt

French site JeuxVideo’s confirmed that a widespread report it originated claiming that I Am Alive was to come out this year as a digital-only title was a “joke”.

Playing for laughs: JeuxVideo’s web-TV show.

Ubisoft producer Jade Raymond has apparently now said that, while the company had nothing to do with the story, it wants to make it clear it isn’t true. This is according to JeuxVideo, so we have no idea whether or not this is fact or fiction. Based on a phone call we’ve just had, we’d err towards the latter.

Ubisoft issued a statement in the wake of the story breaking last Tuesday, saying it had “not recently announced anything for I Am Alive,” and has “nothing official to announce at this time”.

The game’s site went offline while all this happened, fuelling speculation Ubi was about to announce an update on the mysterious action game.

The story originated from a JeuxVideo web-TV programme called Warpzone, in which a source claims to have received the information from Jade Raymond herself.

“Obviously, anyone who has watched Warpzone immediately understood it was an unimportant joke,” said JeuxVideo today.

The quote was picked up by a NeoGAF poster, and the rest is history.

I Am Alive was first revealed as a Darkworks project at E3 2008, and was slated for release in 2009. Ubisoft Shanghai later took over the game, with Ubisoft promising in 2010 to “totally” re-engineer the product.

The first glimpse of I Am Alive in two years came last June in the form of a trailer, which promised a spring 2011 release.

1. KAP

The things sites do for traffic. Just a glance at N4G will show you its full of backally gaming sites all fighting for your attention with dumbass article titles, such as this one.

Shameful.

2. AHA-Lambda

bloody shocking. Yeah clearly for traffic, its fucking sad that a news site would mislead its readers and also take so long to come out and reveal it to be so.

Games journalism on the whole is a bloody disgrace anyway

3. Patrick Garratt

AHA. I haven’t sent it, and I’m really sorry. I’m going to be travelling all week this week, so I won’t be able to do it until next week.

Stop looking at me like that.

4. Gekidami

^ What?

5. AHA-Lambda

/\ crysis 2 painting

6. Patrick Garratt

*shame*

7. Gekidami

Oh that.

8. Sinistre

I would like to clarify something. The original site, JeuxVideo, didn’t say the “digital-only part was a joke” but the relationship with Jade Raymond is.

So:
    - In a webcast called Warpzone, “Kevin” reveals that I am Alive will be released on digital format;
    - In order to protect his sources, he invents a fake relationship with Jade Raymond with a touch of humor;
    - Jade Raymond denied this information -> the relationship with Kevin;
    - Some sites misinterpreted the situation and claimed the fake information was the “digital-only part”;

And in this article of JeuxVideo, they denounce the misinformation and manipulations made by other websites and how the “relationship joke” became the “digital-only joke”.

In the comments ( http://www.jeuxvideo.fr/jeux/i-am-alive/insolite-am-alive-jade-raymond-web-mondial-bateau-actu-394728.html#commentaire ), one of the administrator of JeuxVideo, JV_Virgile says (page 5):

“Bon alors je reviens une fois de plus pour expliciter encore ce que je me suis efforcé de dire dans cet article : le tuyau dégotté par Kévin sur I am alive est authentique. Ce qui ne l’est pas (et qui n’est quand même pas compliqué à saisir, ça me sidère que certains réclament que nous fassions acte de contrition) c’est l’intro sur Jade Raymond. Voilà. ”

Translated:
    “So I’m coming back again to clarify again what I intended to say in this article: Kevin’s tip about the digital-only form of I Am Alive is authentic. What is not (and which is not even hard to understand, it amazes me that some people want we do act of contrition) is the introduction about Jade Raymond. That’s it.”

Conclusion: I Am Alive is still a digital-only game.

9. Johnny Cullen

Regardless, the joke’s pretty much backfired either way.

10. Nightmare77X

Good it looked really good more than a year ago, and better be quality when it comes out.

11. Isaaclarke37

I want to see how the game looks like after being redesigned.