Rumor: Leaked Battlefield 3 advert surfaces with Limited Edition information

Saturday, 5th February 2011 15:10 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

An ad for a Limited Editon version of Battlefield 3 has reportedly been leaked online, and it includes a revamped Battlefield 2 content in the form of the Back to Kirkland map pack.

According to the advert, posted on CVG:

“This themed expansion pack features four legendary maps from Battlefield 2 boldly re-imagined with frostbite 2 physics, destruction and visuals. Completing the package are classic Battlefield 2 weapons and vehicles, unique rewards, new Achievements/Trophies and more.”

We’ll mail EA about this for you.

The map pack is to be made available as a pre-order bonus for the Limited Edition, but will be made available at a later date as DLC for standard edition buyers.

EA revealed Battlefield 3 earlier this week, and players will traverse Paris, New York and Tehran in it according to other retail listings.

BF3 is slated for release this fall on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. Hunam

If they do this for the PC version too it’ll suck. If the players can’t be guaranteed to have those maps, server hosts will not run those maps, meaning players will not have access to those maps regardless.

2. Erthazus

I’m still buying limited edition no matter what. I waited for proper sequel to Battlefield 2 for 5-6 freakin years.

@Hunam, i think that will be some sort of DLC maybe… But yeah, you are right about that.

3. tmac2011

i never liked bfbc2 or 1, lol it’s hard to tell when your hoing to start a new match even in medal of honor. call of duty is the easiest, i like how they say “limited edition” it’s not limited edition when all the games say that like on medal of honor, i laughed.

4. Hunam

@2 I feel that pre-order DLC is starting to get out of hand now. When it was just a skin or inconsequential stuff I didn’t mind, but now it’s seems to be maps/levels/missions, quests, weapons etc. All stuff that is seemingly been pulled from the game as a bargaining chip is horrid. Whilst gamers like you and me who are informed and dedicate a lot of time and cash to our hobby there are many that don’t and are now being punished for it.

What about people who simply can’t afford to buy on the day of release? What about average people who enjoy playing games but don’t follow the news websites or have time to buy the games they like on release because of other commitments? The average shopper who walks in off the street into a shop is now losing out on what they are paying for because they don’t dedicate themselves to the hobby and I think it’s going to end up hurting less savvy customers and this concerns me.

My second gripe is that half the time it seems like pre-order content can upset the game balance. Like with Bad Company 2 meaning a selection of players on the first day who purchased the game from certain retailers had content pre-unlocked for them, unlocks that took me a good 6 or so hours of solid game time to unlock just some of, meaning they had a nice advantage from the get go. Other stuff like the Deus Ex 3 stuff will either ruin a game for not having it by making the player weaker than they should be, or more likley, make the game a bit too easy and lose the edge because the player has access to equipment the designer didn’t forsee.

I know it’s supposed to reward loyal customers and it does so I see why gamers like it, but it also punishes people for no real reason. At least the project $10 stuff was given to everyone who bought new.

5. Phoenixblight

THis seems to be EA new trick to driving day 1 sales they are doing the same thing with Dragon AGe 2, Bulletstorm and now Battlefield 3. I am not sure I like I did preorder Dragon Age 2 but thats because I usually preorder Bioware games.

But for multiplayer game and making the maps exclusive to preorders it seems to be shooting themselves in the foot. They may actually start charging for the DLC after release like they will be doing with Dragon Age 2 and the Exiled Prince.

6. OrbitMonkey

It’d be cool if Dice/EA could copy Valve & have cross format mp. Ps3 v Pc? Have to have some tweaking to compensate for the old mouse/keyboard advantage :)

7. Heinekeno

@6 that would be silly as console gamers are used to auto-aim and higher surreal contrast of picture. DICE should invest in ability of MOD-s. Then the game would live as long BF1942 did, and gamers would pay for that.

8. Hunam

@6 Well, PC BF3 will have 64 players and PS3 will only support 24, so it’s basically impossible for it to happen.

Secondly, competitive game modes don’t work as evidenced by the 360′s cross platform games all failing.

Co-Op games are alright though. I don’t have a problem with that.

9. xino

does anybody get constant disconnection from EA games?

10. MoskitoKrebs

@9 no, i play always lag free and no disc..

11. back_up

getting day one on PS3

12. Erthazus

@Orbit, PC supports 64 players, console version will support not more then 24 or (32 at best). So there won’t be any cross platform gaming between these versions. Ever.

Valve doing crossplatform because Portal is a co-op. It’s not a title where you compete with other players.

@Hunam, I can’t disagree with you. But these types of DLC existed long time ago. Battlefield 2 also supported DLC via small expansion packs.

This is just a tpical EA trick to make consumers preorder it faster. They do it now with every game out there. It’s sad, but thats how it is.

13. freedoms_stain

@4, It’s EA man. They’re taking the fucking piss on all fronts.

Like that SPECACT crap in BC2, get a stat boosted version of weapons already in the game for each kit for £5. Value for monies! Except there was a promo in the US where they essentially got it free, so the majority of US players have an advantage.

14. Hunam

I have to admit I almost caved in and pre-ordered it. I am a weak weak man. But then I saw the price and though, jesus christ, get fucked. I’m not paying £35 for a PC game no matter how life changing it is.

15. IL DUCE

@3 Dude, it’s not Bad Company 3, it’s Battlefield 3, which the last of that series was 2005′s Battlefield 2. So they are not the same game at all. And yes, the Limited Edition is only available when the game first comes out or if you pre-order it you get it for 60 bucks instead of paying an extra 15-20 bucks for the Limited Edition, I would suggest maybe knowing what you’re talking about before commenting and looking like a fool.

16. OrbitMonkey

@12 Probably for the best, wouldn’t be fair us console users spanking you pc noobs!! *runs away… fast*

17. Erthazus

@OrbitMonkey, *runs away… fast*

Hey, wait a second :D *stops him with some magic*
    Console users can only: http://kotaku.com/5752503/a-chronicle-of-misspelled-slurs-+-except-fat-ugly-or-slutty

:D

18. OrbitMonkey

@17 Not so fast!!*blocks attack with Lavanthors talisman, flees*

That site is fucking hilarious, I recommend anyone whose ever let testosterone do the talking to visit it.

19. SwiftRanger

I’ll probably pre-order because this could be the best BF since BF2 but such a pre-order bonus is a very bad evolution in the industry. It splits the multiplayer community, causes massive confusion and it’s basically a way of saying “fuck you” to anyone who doesn’t buy it on release day which is the silliest thing ever. They should stick to real-life goodies or just some visual extras like skins and such for pre-order. This is way too radical, regardless of platform.

20. FadeLive

I’m pretty sure its gonna be like BFBC2 where the limited edition will be the only edition available at launch. At least the site where I pre-ordered the game at only had the limited edition listed.

21. GwynbleiddiuM

w00t, finally, the battlefield invades Tehran, my fraking home city. I hope they create a real location, I’d know if they don’t and I’ll be mad.