Raptr report shows what other online games DCUO players prefer

Saturday, 5th February 2011 21:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The social network application Raptr has issued data it compiled regarding some of the online games DC Universe Online players spent the most time in. Unsurprisingly, those partaking of the newly released MMO are also WoW players.

However, not all games played online by DCUO fans who use Raptr were MMOs: Call of Duty: Black Ops and StarCraft 2 both landed high on the complied charts.

“The stats show that DCUO players predominantly play MMORPGs specifically and multi-player games in general,” said Raptr. “World of Warcraft, the number two most played game on Raptr in the last month, was also the top game that DCUO players played and stole the most playtime from.

“While WoW was affected the most, overall dent is pretty minimal as the overall gameplay hours tracked for WoW week in and week out keeps it at the top of the charts.”

Below we’ve posted the Top 10 lists of games played by DCUO subscribers during the game’s two-week launch period, as well as the games players cast aside to try it out.

Thanks, MMOCrunch.

5. Aion
  6. Star Trek Online
  7. Final Fantasy 14
  8. Everquest 2
  9. City of Heroes

1. SplatteredHouse

No Guild Wars-ists in this survey. Has that game declined a great deal, recently?
    Although, ofc, these results are not too much good, without knowing the basis of number surveyed.

2. revolting

@1 It’s not really a survey, though. It’s everyone who has the Raptr pan-platform messenger/game tracker client installed.

Which, incidentally, seems to be struggling to track the PS3 version of DCUO for many users, which throws this whole thing off somewhat.

3. SplatteredHouse

Oh I see! ;) So this Raptr program has gathered this data from its usage on aggregate, and that is what’s being reported, now. I thought it was a survey of people who used the service, after the fact, but that’s not it. Thanks for explaining.

4. ninjanutta

raptr is pretty cool,ive been using it for at least a year and when set up right it lets you know what you and your friends are upto on all platforms,mine isnt really fuuly tracking but even on default its very cool.give it a bash if you are not aware of it,fully recommended imo.

5. Dralen

I’ve never actually heard of this raptr app. Might give it ago and see what it’s like.

6. TheWulf

I totally called it!

A while back I said that DC Universe Online would be most popular with World of Warcraft players, because essentially the game was WoW but dressed up to look like Guild Wars 2/God of War. That was all parlour tricks though because the underlaying mechanics were very World of Warcraft. It was something that only took me a week’s playing of DCUO to realise.

After that I went back to Champions Online – for reasons mentioned prior. (You know, it being a more tactical game, based around situational awareness, observation, and things of the sort. It’s also a much more dynamic and kinetic game than DC Universe Online is. Once you get past the combos and dodging in DC UO, it feels very static.) It just struck me that Guild Wars (and 2) fans would probably like Champions Online better too, and people I’ve talked to seem to confirm this.

DC Universe Online feels like a bit of a cheap trick wrapped around a WoW clone. It has all the usual WoW stuff: the holy trinity, debuff handling, grinding for items, staying mostly on one spot and spamming keys until you win, et cetera. It’s not something that Guild Wars fans would like for those very reasons. And now that Champions Online is free, DC UO just feels incredibly meh by comparison.

It all depends on what you want though. WoW players are going to love it (as the information here proves), but Guild Wars players, Champions Online players, or anyone who strongly dislikes what WoW is? They’re going to not like it quite so much, or at all.

So yeah. I called it. :p

I knew things would look this way though when people started coming back to the Champions Online forums and saying essentially what I’d been saying. I said this before, too, but loads of old names are showing up and posting again after trying DC UO. And the consensus tends to be: You don’t realise what you have and how good Champions Online is until you’ve played DC Universe Online.

And as a final completely true insult…

A lot of Champions Online people are very creative and some of the designs you’ll see are wonderfully nuts. You’ll have robots, insectoids, manimals, mutants, aiens, cyborgs, extradimensional creatures, dragons, demonspawn, and even just humans dressed up in the most entertainingly clever ways possible. You can also have other outfits and even a casual set of clothes for your character. Now in DC Universe Online, unless you want to play a generic guy in spandex, you’re out of luck.

If you even try to create something off the wall, you’ll end up with something a little like this.

And that accurately sums up the art direction of DC Universe Online, really. Champions Online is so much more visually creative though, and their character creator has damn near endless possibilities. In DC UO I felt entirely restricted by what their limited creator allowed me to do, but in Champions Online I only felt limited by my own creative blocks.

One example of this is when I was feeling silly and felt like putting together a Fallout 2/3-like deathclaw, this was my end result. I’d like to see anyone try that in DCUO. Ha!

DCUO is great, but only if you like WoW, subscriptions, and aren’t at all creative.

7. Gekidami

^ How is the game “just like WoW” when its combat system is so different? Because it has other features you find in every MMO?

You sound like a bitter Champions Online fanboy to me.

8. jacobvandy

Yeah… I’ve heard of many WoW players trying DCUO online but then going back to WoW because it is NOT an MMORPG.

9. revolting

And to add even more confusion to the mix, apparently Raptr stopped tracking PS3 games altogether a while back. Which is pretty sad… when it covered all platforms, it offered really interesting data. Now it only reliably shows PC/xbox data, which has got to throw their entire report right off for a game being hailed for bringing MMOs to the console crowd (not counting the asia-centric non-entities that are Phantasy Star and FF11/14-if it ever launches.)

Raptr is still an excellent social tool, though. Live cross-platform messenging between PC, Xbox360 and PS3 ftw. (and including other PC networks such as MSN, Steam, Facebook, etc.) Not enough people use it, and I’ll never understand why.