Yoshinori Ono: “Time feels right” to bring back Onimusha

Saturday, 5th February 2011 08:50 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Street Fighter producer Yoshinori Ono has told IGN that it now “feels right” to bring back the Onimusha series.

The actioner hasn’t seen any new titles since the release of Dawn of Dreams for PS2 in 2006, but Ono said he feels good about a reboot, but that it would need changes.

“The time feels right to me. It feels like it’s the time to resurrect that series” he told the site. “But I wouldn’t want to do the things we’ve done before. I think it might be time to progress beyond the standard single-player adventure.

“There should be ways to expand upon what we’ve done while involving the community more. Perhaps implement some sort of multiplayer into a game like that.”

Ono added: “I don’t have those ideas solidified yet, but when these ideas come to fruition, when I feel good about them and I feel we can do something,

“I will most certainly take them in for approval with the higher-ups. It’s something I’m very interested in doing.”

Another series Capcom has on hitaus, but something Ono has expressed a lot of interest in bringing back, is fighter Darkstalkers. Don’t hold your breath, though.

“A new Darkstalkers… I know people want it,” he told IGN. “At Comic-Con last year I brought it up at the panel discussion and virtually [everyone in the] entire auditorium raised their hands when asked if they were interested. I took that information back to the company.

“I’ve been lobbying for it ever since. They haven’t warmed to the idea just yet, but I haven’t given up. I’ll continue to push for it. People still do ask for it.

“I’m basically running into the same sort of hurdles I ran into with Street Fighter IV, so if I can show there’s enough interest, maybe something will happen.”

Prep the petitions, then.

1. BlueOne

u late we want it so bad

2. DEADEYES

YES! Bring the series back! Love Onimusha so muchhhhhhhhh!

3. maximiliano

I was excited, until I started to read.
    Change some things, Reboot, Multiplayer, seriously?
    If his intentions are to shit up the franchise, it’s better to not make a new game. Instead realease an HD Collection, I’ve been wanting it so bad since they started making those things.
    First they made Gow and Team Ico (still waiting!), if they just make MGS and Onimusha HD collections it will be awesome!

4. Michael O’Connor

Change is bad, mmkay?

5. maximiliano

Not what I meant, but i guess it looked like it.
    I mean THOSE changes in this game. The beauty of Onimusha for me is that is fully focused in single play, lots of cuts scenes, story to make you stick with the game, lots of extra modes (you know most game nowdays excludes those extra super fun game modes, and puts in some paid DLCs, most with character and weapon skins).
    I think this franchise don’t need the changes that developers put in as ‘standard’ nowadays. Not every game needs multiplayer.

6. Michael O’Connor

Most frachises nowadays are more than capable of focusing on both.

And personally, I think a sword wielding cooperative slice-em-up would be pretty cool.

7. maximiliano

Maybe in local co-op it would be cool. But it’s not like they do that over the online thing.

Also, I disagree with this statment “Most frachises nowadays are more than capable of focusing on both.”

I have seen single player campaigns ignored to make the multiplayer, I have seen an crappy multiplayer because they had to focus on both.
    For what I have seen, a game that focus on both and make it brilliant is the exception, not the rule.

8. Michael O’Connor

I think local would restrict it actually. If the game has a free flowing camera, instead of locked in perspective, it would be far more functional online.

9. xino

oh please!
    Capcom who loves milking franchise and stealing their fanbase monies!

of course they will make an HD version of this and make another sequel!

Everyone forgot about the Street Fighter 3 online coming to PSN n Xbawkslive

10. freedoms_stain

Rework the original with Samonosuke + Kaede co-op? I’d be all for that.

Dawn Of Dreams had a huge cast of characters, I think you could select 2 and switch who you controlled at will, that sort of idea would work nicely in co-op.

11. Gekidami

They have to reboot it. The story went to shit in the third one, imo. I mean Jean Reno? Really?

“Henri!” “Papa!” “HENRI!!” “PAPA!!” …Oh my god.

12. DaMan

are they going to er, reboot Samanosuke charachter in the same way as with Dante?