Kezcast – Can 3DS and NGP exist in a post-iPhone world?

Friday, 4th February 2011 14:09 GMT By Staff

Introducing the Kezcast, a new series of VG247 audio features on topics du jour by Keza MacDonald. First up: what’s the point of 3DS and NGP when everyone’s got a smartphone?

While NGP and 3DS have both been the subject of major events by Sony and Nintendo this year, the burning question still remains: does anyone really care any more? With iOS and Android enjoying baffling amounts of daily activations, is there room left in the life of consumers for a games-only portable device?

Keza spoke to British mobile developers to find out, and discovered that the answer, as ever, is never as simple as it first appears.

1. Michael O’Connor

Any chance of a download link?

2. Joe Anderson

This is awesome, I can only just hear your scottish accent though, no-one would be able to understand me. :D

3. varsas

An interesting listen. I look forward to the next one.

4. Robo_1

Yeah, good stuff Keza.

I think as long as smart phones are missing dedicated gaming controls and features, there will always be a place for a dedicated gaming handheld. I recently downloaded the Dead Space game for iPod, and it’s good, they’ve done a fine job of it, but ohhh it would be so much better with proper gaming controls.

The fact that NGP is going to be supporting an evolution of the type of chipset currently seen in iPods should allow devs to get these types of games enhanced and adapted to NGP in double quick time. Sure, there will be a premium to pay for that (I’m guessing 3.99 vs 6.99) but for the leap in quality and ease of control, it’s going to be well worth it.

5. spiderLAW

Lets see. Im a gamer, i own an HTC Evo, i plan on getting the Xperia Play, I once owned an iphone 3g and a ipod touch 4g 32gb…..
    I want the NGP so badly that i sold my iTouch ahead of time just to get started on saving for it.
    Id rather have a gaming handheld then a phone that does games. I need a phone but a regular flip cell works for me. I dont use my HTC Evo for games and i didnt use my iPhone or iTouch for games either.

btw HTC EVO>>>>> iPhone 4

6. mojo

“First up: what’s the point of 3DS and NGP when everyone’s got a smartphone?”

First up: i dont have a smartphone :D
    Second: im not bothered by most of those 5 dollar games. not to say they are bad, its just not what does the trick for me.

the essence is:
    i would rather have a phone-enabled gaming device than a gaming-enabled phone
    But rather sad, none of all announced devices serve me..
    So i will propably end up without any of it. no iphone, no smartphone, no ngp an no experia play

7. Elven_Star

Breaking news: Michael O’Connor posted a comment that is NOT bullshit.

8. Crysis

He normally doesn’t post BS, no idea where this random hate is coming from aimed @ O’connor…

9. slayernl

Great piece very nicely done, needs a download button to listen to later for when I’m on the go but for now excellent job! :)

10. G1GAHURTZ

LOL @ 7.

11. Deacon

I think there’ll always be a market for pure mobile gaming hardware, even if they are not specifically desired by the ‘general public’.

Other than a good old game of Snake or Tetris, I have no interest in the kind of games you can get on mobile devices. Primarily because, as Robo said, they lack the standard of control that I’m used to.
    Why would I want to play an FPS, or many other types of game with a touch-screen??

Perhaps I’m stuck in the past but I like game-games. Real games.

I’d definitely consider waging money that iPhone software sales will gross more than that of the NGP in 2012. Not because they are better, but because they are cheaper to make (and therefore plentiful), cheaper to buy, and absolutely difinitely aimed at the casual crowd.

With Apples grip on the worlds wannabee-trendy youth they already have a massive user-base too.

Not so much for Nintendo, but Sony first have to worry about trying to sell the NGP to those who haven’t already placed it on their WANT list!

12. RomaTotti10

Great stuff Keza. Keep ‘em coming.

13. Truant

Download link: http://images.vg247.com/current//2011/02/kezcast1.mp3

*Awaits banning*

14. G1GAHURTZ

I must admit that was very professionally done and much more interesting than I was expecting.

You should do these more regularly than every couple of weeks.

15. SOMI

3DS shouldn’t even exist because it’s a piece of shit.

16. Michael O’Connor

@7 Surely you have something better to do than try and troll up a thread? Like, I don’t know, actually discuss the topic? What a moron.

@13 Thanks mate. Much appreciated.

In my honest opinion, I don’t think the smartphone and the handheld market actually converge in any significant manner. You just need to look at the sales of the biggest titles on either format for proof of this.

Smartphones are becoming increasingly more common every day, this is true (I’m typing this up on my Samsung Galaxy S), but I think the people who play Angry Birds and the people who play Mario Kart or Loco Roco are two completely different coins.

Someone who enjoys the former isn’t going to start affecting the later. Much like how the casual market has not caused the APOCALYPTIC DEATH OF CORE GAMING like every single fanboy on the internet was convinced it would.

17. Crysis

@15, Oh, didn’t know you’ve had a full on experience with the 3DS, here i was thinking that it is too early to tell, how silly of me.

18. SOMI

@17 you don’t need to experience a Nintendo system to see how it is, Nintendo systems are always lame, so it’s not like they are good all of a sudden.

19. Michael O’Connor

@18 INTRUDER ALERT! INTRUDER ALERT! A FANBOY IS IN THE BASE!

20. SOMI

Well Nintendo deserves any punishment they get since they totally ignored the gamers this gen and past gen, Seriously Miyamoto is lacking these days he should retire or better still get run over.

21. KL

@19 pointless,the base was already infested.It’s just so happens they’re evolving now into lickers… or was it suckers?whatever

22. Michael O’Connor

@21 They’re *clearly* Red Spies.

23. monkeygourmet

He’s been forced to drive to work:

so he can’t be run over by twats like you.

24. monkeygourmet

Just checked out some Uncharted footage:

on the NGP. While the graphics look incredible (i can’t really tell the difference from this and the PS3 Uncharted, a great achievement), gameplaywise it looks very clunky and boring. I know this is just an example of what is achievable, but even with having an extra analog stick and touch screens, the game doesn’t look very fun to control… The touch screen actions seem to be far too overused to make it actually feel like your involved with whats happening on screen…

25. Crysis

Well you’re not *forced* to use the extra controls, I’d personally stick the the sticks & buttons.

26. monkeygourmet

Okay, thats more promising… Whenever i see people demo games, they always seem to be shit at them! ;) I don’t know why, it’s important to make your product look good and they always seem to hire a goon who looks like he/she has never played a game in their lives! ;)

27. bpcgos

OK , finished download it because of my slow GPRS connection(thanks #13) and I think I need subtitles for this(sorry, not a native english speaker)!
    But, very nice be able to listen rather than read all this time!
    Thanks VG247

28. JPickford

That Ste Pickford fella talks a lot of sense.

Great work Keza.

29. SOMI

How can I be a twat if I ran over the most over-rated game designer ever, he’s made a gamers life a misery.

30. JPickford

Somi. I’m a game designer myself (for what it matters). I’m struggling to comprehend how anyone could thing Miyamoto is overrrated. His designs have passed both commercial and critical tests for decades. I think it’s perfectly fine to not like his work but ‘overrated’ requires a bit of back up.

31. Callum

@29 you owe him more than you could ever possibly imagine, you are obviously just too dumb to realise.

Technological convergence is nothing new… especially when it fit’s in your pocket(read: I phone), and I think perhaps this may be the last generation of dedicated hand-helds to be successful. I can’t imagine what technology will be capable of in 3 years time, but I’m willing to be that the hardware won’t be the bottleneck any more…not for a hand-held device with a tiny screen.

32. Enkeixpress

@ #1

Get Internet Download Manager

33. SOMI

Every game Miyamoto has ever done is garbage why can’t he do proper games like killzone, uncharted or any other games Sony is behind.