From Software has “no intention of decreasing the difficulty level” in Dark Souls

Friday, 4th February 2011 21:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Hidetaka Miyazaki, director of Dark Souls, has said the development team at From Software has no intention of decreasing the infamous difficulty level in Demon’s Souls with it’s spiritual successor.

Speaking in an interview with Sony, Miyazaki said From intends to “increase the difficulty of the game, but not simply by making the game more difficult, but by giving players the freedom to strategize freely and conquer that difficulty, and to be rewarded accordingly.”

“This is an analogy we often use: We are trying to create a game that is spicy. And we want to make it as spicy as possible. But it’s edible and tastes good and leaves you wanting more,” he said.

As far as the secret to creating a game that is rather difficult, but still enticing enough to keep gamers playing without rage quitting, Miyazaki said the team employs ways to prevent users from drifting away.

“Number one, the difficulty is not dependent on the skill level of the user,” he said. “We have not created a game where players who react faster or press buttons faster are better than others. Second, when a player dies, we try to leave a sense of ‘maybe if I try a different strategy I can succeed.’ Things that you lose in death can be outweighed by what you gain by trying again. We try to give players lots of freedom to design their own gameplay style, and we’ve implemented enough content to enable users to continue challenging themselves and continue making progress.

“One more aspect is the difficulty based on repetitiveness. We don’t want users to have to constantly carve away health from enemies. We’ve created all characters — including enemies and the player — to have high attack power but low defense. We don’t want users to hack and hack and hack away to defeat an enemy. It’s more strategic. We want users to think, ‘if I avoid this enemy, maybe I can overcome him.’ We don’t want players to be frustrated by doing the same things over and over.

Dark Souls was announced early in the week, and you can find all our coverage of it in the link dump below.

It’s out on PS3 and Xbox 360 this year.

1. monkeygourmet

Can’t wait to play this, really glad it’s multiplatform so everyone can experience it! :) Does anyone know if the online system is going to be similar to the PS3 original, i.e. being able to leave notes for other adventurers etc..? That feature always sounded awesome! :)

2. Lord Gremlin

Well, in Demon’s Souls all bosses have little health, the trick is to deal damage to them and not be squashed the moment you attack.
    Nothing more satisfying than distracting Firelurker while blue phantom snakes upon his back and Soul Sucks his ass for double XP. It’s things like these that make game great.

I’m a bit worried about multiplatform aspect, mainly because of amount of physics Demon’s Souls had. I’d like the physics to stay on par with Demon’s Souls, and that may be an issue with 360 processor. Game size is not an issue though.

3. monkeygourmet

Were the physics that good that the 360 couldn’t handle them? I haven’t had the oppertunity to play it unfortunatly so i wouldn’t know! :)

4. Lord Gremlin

@3: The point is DS had a lot of Havok physics in it. To the point where I can’t remember a game that utilizes physics to such extent. Neither on PS3, or on 360. So, no idea really, but given the common knowledge that 360 has more powerful video chip, but less powerful processor than PS3 it raises concerns.
    With all that in mind, in certain scenes in Demon’s Souls FPS slightly dropped because of physics naturally, like when Dragon God welcomes you with a fist slam and a huge chunk of stone surroundings gets smashed to physics-controlled small rocks.

5. YoungZer0

@3: Physics were done by Havok Engine. Nothing the 360 can’t handle.

To topic: I guess this game is not for me then. I just couldn’t get into the first one. I made it to the second Boss (That huge armor thing) and was killed instantly. Turned it off and was glad i only rented it.

I never really felt any satisfaction from mastering the whole thing as it was just trial and error all the time. I played a thief first, then a magician, playing with the magician was a lot easier but less satisfying, i managed to run to the second boss without dying once.

The biggest bullshit was when you accidentally fell. I don’t know about you, but whenever i fell down the stairs or something i lost all of my souls. The worst enemy in this ugly game was the camera, and i never managed to kill it.

I think I’m just getting too old for this kind of game. Mastering hard games lost it’s touch to me.

Working all the time. The last thing i want is to go home and be angry and frustrated for a few hours more.

6. Lord Gremlin

@5: Well, this kind of game is best enjoyed when you’re on vacation and with certain… Attitude towards the game. Every boss had a trick to it, a weak spot. Once you know exactly how to kill Tower Knight – the boss you’ve stopped at – it’s incredibly easy to murder him without receiving any damage. It’s not even skill or reaction based, it’s mostly strategy. Learning boss’s attacks, how to avoid or counter each attack and when he’s vulnerable, and where his weak points – it gets really, really satisfying when you easily kill a huge monster that previously seemed invincible.
    And that’s the point of game. When you die, you always die because of your own mistake. Because you were careless, weren’t looking where you’re going or haven’t figured out the trick.
    Camera works fine. I mean, it’s as good as player-controlled camera gets. What did you expect, GoW3′s fixed camera?

7. Hunam

Demon’s Souls is one of those games that once it clicks with you it stops being frustrating because you are aware of everything that can happen in a given situation and you plan accordingly.

But your not wrong about that camera, it can be utterly hateful at time but it’s just something else you have to plan for. You have to bring the fight to where you can comfortably fight. It’s not cowardly to run away and hide, it’s smart :P

I think Dark Souls will be a bit easier than Demon’s to be honest because the co-op features are more standardised (at least I think they are) so it’s much easier to grab a friend to help you out through the game.

8. xino

good luck with the sales

9. Telepathic.Geometry

Hmm, I still think that they need some kind of crutch for weaker players. I have a couple of friends who played Demon’s Souls and Dead Space and were too afraid and intimidated at the beginning of the game to continue.

Personally, I don’t care, I like the challenge, but for the sake of getting sales so they can continue to create this kinda game, I hope that they appeal to casual-ish gamers too.

10. back_up

good to hear
    but 360 gamers are casual and will not able to complete dark souls

11. mojo

back_up do us a favour and back up a bit.

12. Hunam

You have got to understand though that games like this don’t work on the usual sales side like big blockbusters do. I remember reading that for the US Atlus wanted to sell like 75,000 units or something as their project guide to break into good profit. They sold 280,000 by april 2010 which has actually made Atlus a cash rich publisher, hence why that can move their internal dev teams to 360 and PS3 with Catherine and it’s engine because of how successful the game was on their terms.

Positive word of mouth and a savvy PR scheme can see this do much better, although I’m skeptical if Namco can do it though I hope they do, because they have an absolute gem of a game being made for them.

13. Michael O’Connor

I’m incredibly impressed that they managed to design such an aesthetically appealing game on such a low budget, if that was their target for profit.

I mean, AC: For Answers’ intro has has possibly the most realistic CGI I have *ever* seen, to the point of literal photo-realism. How are they managing to pump out that kind of stuff with such little cost?

There’s probably a few devs out there who could learn from their tricks.

14. LOLshock94

ehhhhhh i dont get this is this demon souls but just for xbox or is it different?????

15. Michael O’Connor

It’s the spiritual sequel to Demons’ Souls, and it’s multiplatform.

16. LOLshock94