Killzone 3 beta live in US and Europe – screens and video

Thursday, 3rd February 2011 11:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony’s Killzone 3′s open multiplayer beta is now live in both the US and Europe, following a small delay for the American version.

Killzone 3

Developed by Guerrilla Games.

Single-player demo coming February 9.

Full game releasing in late February.

Q&A – PlayStation 3

Q&A – Killzone

The taster comes in at 802Mb. It’s up on the PS Store now under “Latest”, and will be available until February 15.

It includes a single map, the MP05 Frozen Dam multiplayer level. All game types in the final game are included, so you’ll get the classic Team Deathmatch mode Guerrilla Warfare for 16 players; the mini-mission-based Warzone for 24 players; the single-player-like Operations for 16 players; and Botzone, an offline mode you a single player and up to 15 bots.

The beta is completely open. Anyone with a PSN account can download the client. The beta also supports 3D and the Move motion controller.

Also, from Friday, February 4through Sunday, February 6, Sony will be handing out 20 Limited Helghast Editions of the game each day. US PS Blog team members will log on to beta each of the three days to randomly select players in matches. Winners will be notified via the email address associated with their PSN account.

Killzone 3 launches in the US on February 22 and in the UK on February 25 for PS3. See our recent chat with Guerrilla’s Steven ter Heide here.

Reviews are now live.

Have a look at shots and videos from the EU tester below.

1. Dralen

Looking forward to giving this a try out today. This is basically going to decide whether I buy it or not.

2. back_up

Awesome for US
    but US should not get MP

3. Gekidami

A demo is up on the Japanese Store right now. I’m guessing its the MP one, but i cant read Japanese, so…

4. Gekidami

Yeah, its the MP demo and in full English.

5. Gekidami

And its now up on the EU Stores.

6. Patrick Garratt

We’ll have video and shots for you ASAP.

7. Fin

BEST GAME EVAR.

8. ReeceHeywood

*turns PS3 on*

*waits for display settings to correct*

*After many times and minutes later PS3 realizes the TV can’t do 1080p and offers 560i not 720p*

*Prompted for Firmware update 3.894876.968*

*Downloads firmware – 2 minutes*

*5 minutes to install firmware*

PS3 – “Have a good day.” *turns off* http://tinyurl.com/ps3dammit

This beta better be fucking good. :|

9. Patrick Garratt

Shots there. Those are straight off the board at 720p. They’ve been slightly sharpened and saved for web in Photoshop.

10. Mike

How long did it take to DL?

11. Patrick Garratt

Very quick. About 10 mins.

12. Gekidami

Took me about 5 mins. And about 3 to install.

13. Mike

Nice. I remember the MGS4 beta

*shudders*

14. Patrick Garratt

Video in about half an hour.

15. Deacon

Do we get jetpacks and ‘tings ?

Looking forward to playing this some more after the PS+ beta.

16. Patrick Garratt

There’s the video. Again, you’ll see why I’ve changed my name by deed poll to “Trigger” Garratt.

17. sony_sucks

Looks average, plays like shit. who buys this rubbish?

18. Patrick Garratt

:D

19. back_up

@17: it’s not halo don’t worry :lol:

20. Shifty

@19 its a poor mans call of duty

21. Hybridpsycho

lol, comparing Call of Duty with this. You’re mad.

Go back playing your shitty game.

22. Patrick Garratt

Hmm. Can’t join games any more.

23. M2Kx

There’s nothing better than killzone or crysis news. Both make the PS and PC fanbois crazy, gotta love this :P

(both suck imo, btw)

24. ReeceHeywood

Played about an hour of it, really good. Much of an improvement over Killzone 2.

25. Aimless

I jumped straight into Botzone to give the Move controls a try. They’re going to take some getting used to — namely in regards to finding the sweetspot when it comes to turning control — but after a bit of fiddling the headshots were coming thick and fast.

First impressions are that performance seems quite a bit better than the earlier Beta and there’s been several additions/balance tweaks. Looking good.

26. Johnny Cullen

Gonna try it later on with Move.

27. Gama_888

tis downloading at home, will be playing it as soon as im finished with uni :D

28. Detale

I’d be interested in your thoughts on the Move controls Johnny, this may be the thing that finally makes me buy into the whole Move setup.

29. OrbitMonkey

@28 I second that.

30. Redh3lix

I played the hell out of Killzone 2 and gotta say was a little disappointed they nerfed the responsiveness of KZ3 for those COD fannyboys, but I’ve still got a lot of love for the game. Forgot just how much I enjoyed the combat audio in Killzone. Absolutely fantastic through a loud stereo.

Instabuy for me.

31. spiderLAW

Looks pretty good. Killzone screenshots never justify the final product though. Looks muh better on screen in motion.
    This is good looking, especially considering its a Beta using an alpha build.
    2-22-2011 cant come any sooner.

32. strikkebil

message to EU players. if u cant go online, change region to North America. worked for me.

overall the beta is ok. its not as good as kz2, and i dont think it looks as good, cos of all the intrusive hud. guess we can thank the 8 million ppl who bought cod for that. but in the end its a good shooter and its day 1 for me.

33. OrbitMonkey

@17 your rather…

34. ninjanutta

LOL,looks shit and plays shit???? Ah! only got a 360 have we little man?get a job or give a blow job,get money,buy ps3 and enjoy the game thats gonna rip cod apart.I like blackops,dont get me wrong but killzone is far more varied and tactical..Its for adults though so im guessing the haters are 12 or maybe even 13 at a push.

35. Redh3lix

@32 – Strikkebil

….. check options, you can turn off the HUD.

36. russdude13

I cant wait to play this. Mine is downloading now.

37. reask

Just played 2 games.
    I don’t like the click r3 for zoom but it seems OK so far.
    I will have more time later to give it a good try.
    Might try Botzone to get used to controls.
    Can you configure controls?

38. OrbitMonkey

@37 Yes, plus they have a default setting that is a carbon copy of COD controls.

39. reask

Nice one Orbit, :)

40. spiderLAW

Thats what KZ2 was missing. Custom controls. I like the COD layout better but i want to set my own settings somewhat….cant wait to try it.

41. Dralen

@37 Yeah, I changed the controller settings to alternate. Works much better.

42. xino

I would advise people not to try Move online…kill death will be 4/10!

use Move for Single Player.

although the accuracy for Move is SPOT ON! but configuration is really perplexing! Making you go back and fort just to make sure you have the right config:/

43. reask

Have been waiting 10 minutes now to get connected and nothing.
    I played earlier and got in instantly.
    Anyone else getting this?

44. reask

Now getting error 8001.
    Bye Bye KZ3.
    Same shit with 2 not been able to log in.

45. Gekidami

^ Yeah! They could have beta tested this shit fir- hey wait…

46. reask

No need to get touchy gek.
    There was another beta up and running if memory serves me right.

Fact is KZ2 will not let me log in for the last 9 months so I gave up.
    Phoned Sony and they said it was my router been set to strict nat type or something.
    Phoned my IP and they said it was open.
    I just gave up then and never went back.
    Have spent about an hour tonight on KZ3 and cannot get on.
    Restarted game 4 times and nothing.

Things like that tend to annoy me when I have other good games to play so I will probably try tomorrow and if it is still the same I will be leaving well enough alone.

Crysis beta works fine, reach beta worked fine.
    This simple kind of stuff should be well ironed out before you go open with a beta imo.
    Too much competition out there.

I know you reckon I am an xbot at heart but I tend to play both and seem to have none of this hassle with live.
    UC2 I had problems with on line as well but got it sorted eventually.
    Anyway maybe its just me I dont know but this is what happened and I asked had anyone else been getting the same.
    I could care less which is better I just want hassle free multi so It is now off and I am going back to the crysis beta.

47. Michal Przyszlak

I can’t believe there are actually people who miss the old laggy-as-shit (caused by actual input lag) controls. KZ3 is much better in this respect. Still it’s no Modern Warfare 2 – even though it tries really hard.
    I love the visuals and surround sound (A M A Z I N G).

48. HauntaVirus

To be honest, I’ve been playing most of the day and I’m not too impressed.
    I just cannot get used to the input lag which they claim is just the “feel” of KZ. Your weapon literally moves slightly AFTER you push the analog stick…it’s very annoying. I’m sure all games have some input lag but something is seriously FUBAR with the controls. I will most likely be canceling my pre-order.

49. Isaaclarke37

Whoever was playing with all do repsect, sucked big time.

50. Crysis

I CBF with any of these generic shooters right now, screw Halo, CoD, Killzone, MoH & Crysis. I’m still hoping BF3 will be a true sequel & not another “CoD killer”, games that set up only to beat another game will ALWAYS fail.
    I personally think the Battlefield series has the best MP shooter formula which is probably why i loved the Star Wars Battlefront games, guess i just like the warfare feel to the game, not the arcade feel (CoD/Halo).
    Despite the arcade feel, the only FPS I’m sure that i’ll buy this year would be Resistance 3.