Bethesda brings in new legal team in Interplay lawsuit

Thursday, 3rd February 2011 06:47 GMT By Johnny Cullen

According to court papers found by TheVault, Bethesda has brought in a new legal team in its lawsuit against Interplay and Fallout Online.

Lawyers from Fried, Frank, Harris, Shriver & Jacobson LLP have now replaced the team that was representing the company beforehand, Steptoe & Johnson LLP. This is the second time Bethesda’s replaced its legal team in the lawsuit.

Throughout the case, Interplay has stuck with just one lawyer, Jeffrey Gersh.

Bethesda apparently optioned the rights of a Fallout MMO to Interplay after it bought the rights to the Fallout IP. However, it sued Interplay for breach of agreement and trademark infringement over the game, previously codenamed Project V13.

Bethesda’s Pete Hines told VG247 in a recent interview that it owned the rights to the MMO, not Interplay.

“We own the rights to the MMO,” said Hines. “We own the rights to everything Fallout. The licence is ours. Fallout belongs to us. That’s what I’ll clarify.

“Beyond that, I’m not commenting on anybody else’s comments. It’s a legal matter. A specific MMO or project or any of that stuff, the lawyers are all going to sort it out.”

Fallout Online is set to enter into a beta phase next year with a release in the same year.

Thanks, Paweł.

1. back_up

still fighting

2. Zurtech

Don’t blame em for changing lawyers with the name Steptoe, all it does is make me think of this….

3. DEADEYES

This is the second time Bethesda’s replaced its legal team in the lawsuit.

And…

Throughout the case, Interplay has stuck with just one lawyer, Jeffrey Gersh.

So, the giant can’t kill an ant with the big legal team? And this is the second time? Lol =))

4. DSB

All Interplay would have to do to make a gazillion bucks is redo the two first Fallouts in an HD engine.

That MMO is going to be shit, and they know it.

5. TheWulf

@4: That’s a massive statement to make, but I feel it’s also wrong.

The names involved with Fallout Online are certainly big, important ones. One such name being Chris Taylor, who was instrumental in Fallout 1 and designing the SPECIAL system. I don’t think Chris would show so much interest in this if it was going to be ‘shit’.

So to be honest, I think it’s going to be a surprise hit, I’m personally expecting some pretty big things from it with what I’ve read and seen thus far. They’ve got the humour down in the mails they’ve been sending me, that’s for sure, the world looks perfect in their concept art/shots, and they have the Fallout guy working on the game mechanics.

…I really can’t see this being a flop. It may be a bit of a niche interest, but it’s still going to be big.