From’s Dark Souls gets video, screens, details – see it now

Wednesday, 2nd February 2011 17:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

The first screenshots and hard details of Dark Souls, From Software’s spiritual successor to Demon’s Souls, have been released.

In Dark Souls, your created character must dispatch enemies which are in constant pursuit of you, and when fighting you must pay close attention to your environment.

According to Famitsu, which posted the screens, it’ll be hard to swing your sword or mace in narrow passages – just as in Demon’s Souls.

You will also be able to flee or use a shield when being attacked, provided you have the opportunity.

The world in Dark Souls is seamlessly connected, and you are allowed to travel anywhere within it once you have access to a full map.

For the time being, all that’s known regarding the map interface is the “positional marker,” but hopefully more will be revealed soon.

You can take a look at some additional artwork for the game through the Famitsu link, and there are some more screens here.

Speaking at a Namco Bandai event in San Francisco last night, Uchiyama said Dark Souls (formerly Project Dark) will deliver “a better, more difficult experience” than its precursor.

One known as Project Dark, Dark Souls releases this year for PS3 in Japan, and on PS3 and Xbox 360 elsewhere.

There’s an announcement trailer from TGS below as well, courtesy of Gamespot, only now it contains the game’s actual title.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. Monk

What the hell ?

Some of this screenshots are similar to some places in Demons souls, specially the last one!

Even the armor the same !

2. Monk

Are the same*, why I can`t edit anymore ?

3. Maximum Payne

@2 And where are HOT sign for news ??

4. xino

@1 Monk

same thought:/
    basically Demon Souls with added content and multiplatform:/

5. Michal Przyszlak

Deamon’s Souls was amazing, but I gave up on it because the enviroment was dull (except world 1 and 4)
    This one looks effin’ SWEEEET

6. Manni - inside 360

One known as Project Dark, Dark Souls releases this year for PS3 in Japan, and on PS3 and Xbox 360 elsewhere…

YES!!! For my lovely Xbox 360!!!

7. Tallon 4

I was kinda scared playing Demon’s Souls….that game goddamn haunted me.
    Hated it and loved it

8. lexph3re

I hate it! But, its so damn addictive!lol only game where dying is essential

9. Nesvrstani

Meh. Tried it, not my cup of tie. Too, dark, and depressive. I’m not exactly the guy for Enslaved-like setting [although some colors couldn't hurt] but I just couldn’t stand it. However, it is an impressive game.

10. Stephany Nunneley

There’s a trailer in there now. It was the announcement trailer from TGS.

11. Herlock

Trailer ♥

12. Rosseu

OMG lol, now I’ll start with magic stat and get a firestorm like magic bwahahaha!

13. NeoSquall

The trailer: FUCK YES!

14. Erthazus

Yesss!

15. Psychotext

HOOK IT DIRECTLY TO MY VEINS!

16. Patrick Garratt

Great trailer. Hope they do co-op this time. Did they do co-op last time? The only thing I remember about playing Demon’s Souls was dying. A lot.

17. Monk

THAT`S FREAKING AWESOME !!!

@16 I remember that you can summon people to play with you after level 10 !
    so you can say it co-op !

18. hairlessmilk

Hoollyyy shhhiiittt!!! I am so excited for this. I still play DS to this day.

19. Mike

Might have a look at this.

20. Maximum Payne

@15 I dont know why i laugh it so hard about 5-10 min for you comment,it made my day :)

21. No_PUDding

Ugh, Wish this was Demon’s Souls 2 though.

Apart from the open world sounding part. Hopefully, it’s open in the way Demon’s Souls was… Like well designed paths, that were free to roam.

Now they can’t justify death in the same cool way. Loved the fantasy of Demon’s Souls to be honest, it was all really superbly contextualised. It’s not being like King’s Field that made it good.

The enemies don’t look as freaky yet either; having said that ‘centipede-woodlice-men’, ‘snowballed-corpse-beasties’ and ‘crazy-bloodbath-babies’ are hard to top.

I can still safely say, hook it into my veins though. BRING IT! Just bring a sequel at some point too.

P.S I hope Sony doesn’t just use the IP and let an internal team make it. It needs to be these crazy boys.

22. Telepathic.Geometry

Wow, I know they don’t have he franchise rights to do Demon’s Souls 2, but de facto that’s actually Demon’s Souls 2 init.

I approve. I want to be entered by this game. /spreads cheeks