Twisted Pixel announces The Gunstringer for Kinect

Tuesday, 1st February 2011 18:18 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Twisted Pixel has announced The Gunstringer, a game featuring an undead cowboy in both 2D and 3D for Kinect.

This was the game the studio planned to announce before March’s PAX East.

According to the game’s lead designer, Dan Teasdale, The Gunstringer is a Kinect game where you get to “marionette a kick-ass undead cowboy puppet through action packed stage performances.”

It is played like an “actual play performance, complete with hand crafted actors and props,” and it all takes place through a western-themed revenge story filled with action, drama, and mildly creepy puppet love.

“Being able to perform this story with puppets and stage props lets us get away with some pretty far out characters, settings, and plot twists that would just seem insane in a straight western story,” said Teasdale on the game’s official website. “The Gunstringer marries all of this with really fresh and fun gameplay mechanics.

“From the start of this project, we’ve focused on getting across the feel of marionetting a puppet’s movement through a 3D world, then mixing that with the fun and mayhem of targeting-focused shooters like Rez. One minute you’ll be navigating the Gunstringer over tricky ravines or towards secret paths, the next you’ll be ducking behind cover to take out a half-dozen clockwork alligators with your six shooter.”

Teasdale goes on to say that there are no “minigames, forced gestures, or end of level photos of you in your underwear,” in the game, and that players can stand or sit while playing the game with “precision not seen in any of the Kinect launch titles, and with a speed and feel that’s just not possible with a traditional controller.”

More on the game is expected in the coming months through blog updates, as well as at PAX.

There’s an announcement trailer below.

1. kofoed

Nice trailer :D

Twisted Pixel rocks, and this is looking pretty cool as well, just love arcade games :)

2. naffgeek

That looks great, I don’t give two shits what the ‘hardcore’ think, I love playing with my kinect.

Some more good quality games for it wouldn’t go amiss though. Child of Eden can’t come soon enough.

3. nofear360

This is surely a budget/XBLA title, right?!

4. nofear360

OK, IGN answers my question:

“Will Gunstringer be a retail or downloadable game?

Twisted Pixel isn’t revealing this, yet. All of the developer’s previous releases have been downloadable from Xbox Live Arcade. We know there are multiple downloadable Kinect games in the works from various developers, but so far Kinect software is only available at retail.”

5. onlineatron

1) Could he look anymore like the Stranger from Stranger’s Wrath?

2) Market your product by taking the piss out of other products (especially the wii remote which is the reason the fucking Kinect exists) and you’ve lost my respect/interest in your product.

I love you Twisted Pixel. You’re gameplay may be lacking but your humour is redonk… Don’t become Microsoft’s shills (unless you get bought by them).

6. DSB

Kuhnekt, fur Xboxrararar.

Seriously, pick a huger douche to do your voiceovers.

Although yeah, I’ve pretty much been waiting for a marionette game all my life. Thanks Twisted Pixel.

What happened to Comic Jumper?

7. NiceFellow

The ad is funny enough but TBH the game looks pretty weak to me. I like the developer and maybe the fun’s in the playing, but the gameplay looked very bland to me.

I’m already feeling my interest in Kinect titles waning – nothing stands out for me at the moment. Hopefully more new stuff will be announced soon.

8. Bloodyghost

FIRST interesting game for Kinect IMO

also that trailer was HILARIOUS!

9. Ingmar

Great news. Trailer looks like a lot fun. I hope it’ll be a XBLA title.

10. Blerk

Heh heh, that’s pretty cool, actually. Twisted Pixel do very amusing videos. :-)