Tue, Feb 01, 2011 | 16:42 GMT
Mortal Kombat: Rebirth made public last year “accidentally,” by director
The director of webseries Mortal Kombat: Rebirth, Kevin Tancharoen, has said the initial YouTibe video of his creation was accidentally leaked on his part.
Speaking in an interview with Gamasutra, Tancharoen explained that he posted the video on YouTube for a friend to watch privately, however, he forgot to check the privacy settings after uploading which led to it being shared across the Internet last June.
“I am not the most technically savvy YouTube person,” he admitted. “What came out wasn’t the final product in my mind. I wasn’t done yet. It was still in its rough phase, but I couldn’t send a 2GB file over email, so my friend said I could create a private page on YouTube and sent it to him to review.
“It turns out it wasn’t that private. I looked on Twitter and saw MK was trending and thought ‘Oh God, did someone beat me to the punch?’ The actors could have quickly rebelled against me. Thank God people liked it, because it could have gone really bad.”
The 10-part webseries, confirmed last week by Warner, will explore backstory and history of notable Mortal Kombat characters Scorpion, Johnny Cage, and Liu Kang. Sonya and Jax make an appearance as well. Tancharoen hopes Warner will allow him to release it in theaters should the webseries succeed.
“The bigger thing for me, of course, is I want to translate this to a feature,” he said. “I would love to tell the stories that lead the character up to a certain point, then have them merge together in a big 3D movie.”
Currently shooting in Vancouver, the series is slated for a spring release through online digital retailers.