Fight Night Kinect being prototyped, says EA

Tuesday, 1st February 2011 11:44 GMT By Johnny Cullen

EA Sports has said it’s currently prototyping a Kinect version of Fight Night, but has been noncommittal on whether or not features based on the motion camera will ever see retail release for the IP.

Speaking to Eurogamer, ahead of the release of the series’s latest release, Champion, producer Mike Mahar said that he doesn’t know if a mini-game or as separate complete title, if anything, will come of the work.

“Right now the best simulation experience we can give users is through a conventional controller,” said Mahar.

“I also think that most of our users don’t want to, and can’t, punch for 10 rounds. I just don’t think people are capable of it! If you’re going to make a full fighting game it might be a different experience than a Fight Night or an MMA.”

He added: “We’ve done some pretty cool prototyping. It could perhaps be a mini-game embedded in.

“Then again with how precise and how robust the movement and motion controls are now, I think we’d be doing them a disservice if we simply said that our version of a motion control game is a mini-game within Fight Night.”

Fight Night Champion releases on March 1 in the US and March 4 in the UK for PS3 and 360. A demo releases today.

1. Dannybuoy

He forgot to mention the terrible lag too -_-

2. justiceblob

Have you ever actually used Kinect Danny? the lag is there, but by no means is it terrible.

3. Michael O’Connor

The lag also varies heavily from game to game.

This will be great, if they can pull it off.

The Fight (the PS3 Move game) is one of the most misunderstood games I’ve ever seen, and I was in fact one of the people critical about how well it could work… until I played it.

People were complaining about how poorly it recognised moves. It quickly dawned on me (and many others) that this was actually the fault of the players, not the game. I box as part of my exercise a lot, and the game detects you perfectly as long as you bother to put some strength and technique into your punches. It’s not going to work if you flail your hands around like a weedy kid, and nobody should expect it to.

Same goes for this.

I hope they can pull this idea off, because I’d love to play it if they do.

4. justiceblob

I know it varies, but I haven’t seen it ever be ‘terrible’.

5. Dannybuoy

joke. jees guys, lighten up.