David O. Russell still writing Uncharted film, looking at actresses for Elena

Tuesday, 1st February 2011 20:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Director David O. Russell has said he is still in the process of writing the script for the Uncharted movie he is slated to film.

Speaking in an interview with Empire Online regarding his latest flick, The Fighter, Russell said he is “really excited,” to be making the film version of Naughty Dog’s popular PS3 series.

“The game is very cinematic; there’s no question about it,” he said. “That’s why I’m working on it real hard and I’m writing it as we speak and I’m really excited to make it.

“I’d love Mark [Wahlberg] to be in it, I’d love Bob De Niro to be in it; I love the idea of growing them into a cinematic family; I think that’s a really cool idea, but… I guess you’ll have to wait until you see the script.”

While Russell never claimed to have anyone specific in mind for any particular role in the film, he did have a few choice things to say about Nathan Drake’s love interest Elena Fisher, and mentioned The Fighter’s Amy Adams and Scarlett Johansson as two actresses he admires.

“Ah, Elena. I’ve cultivated her quite a bit and I think I’ve added a lot of dimension to her so that’s all I’m going to say,” said Russell. “I love the woman characters and the more robust they are, the more robust the movie.

“I love Amy [Adams]. I also love Scarlett Johansson; there’s a lot of great actors I think might suit. Hopefully, we’ll see how it works out with everybody who are being scoped to do that role.”

Back in November, actor Mark Wahlberg all but confirmed the film was in the works, claimed he was cast as Nathan Drake in it, and mentioned Joe Pesci and Robert De Niro were being courted as Nathan’s uncle and father, respectively.

1. Hunam

What I don’t get is why Naughty Dog would let Hollywood butcher their work into something unrecognisable?

2. Dark

Making movies from video games is a stupid idea.

3. xInFeRnO

@Hunam yeah i agree. It could turn out good but I mean, come on. What are the chances, really?

4. onlineatron

Emily Rose.

5. onlineatron

Wait… hold the phone.

Scarlett Johansson, pick Scarlett Johansson. Scarlett Johansson is the single most beautiful female on this planet, Scarlett Johansson is a brilliant actress, Scarlett Johansson makes my slinky go.. well, you know the rest.

6. Hunam

Emily Rose is gorgeous. I loved Haven, but they’d never let one of the game VO’s play their part in the film, even if Emily Rose is better looking than Elena.

7. Stephany Nunneley

Emily Rose is indeed lovely, but I have to agree with onlineatron – except for the “slinky” part. I would probably leave my boyfriend on Christmas morning for Scarlett.

….well, no “probably” to it.

8. Freek

Sure she’s hot. But it’s not like she will never star in another movie ever again?
    She can be hot in everything, that doesn’t matter.
    You want to the be true to the source material, you cast the actress that plays Elena already.

It would be like casting George Cloony to play captain Picard in the Star Trek movies. Makes no sense.

9. Stephany Nunneley

@8 Oh let us have fun Freek! :(

10. osric90

I’m starting to trust David O. Russell… First, The Fighter and now MAYBE Scarlett Johansson as Elena, go for it, David. I used to hate this guy’s movies but sure The Fighter is a clear example of GREAT directing. In the mere first moment I’ve thought who could be Elena, well I thought Scarlett Johansson. Why? Not only because she’s the most beautiful creature in the world but because she has a lot of humor, GREAT acting talent (may be between the very best female artists nowadays) and she takes training very seriously (gun shooting in this case). Those ones saying Emily Rose for Elena… Well, I backup that idea too but producers in Hollywood would say “ok, she’s the girl, she really is the character… But will she sell as much as our Scarlett?” and that’s why I would choose Scarlett too… She’s a great production value that won’t be playing stupid in the movie and she’s the most lovable actress in the planet. I still would like Gerard Butler as Nathan Drake but I have absolutely no problems with Mark Wahlberg as him. I have… a little, little good feeling about this movie suddenly… Let’s hope it lasts. If you think “Scarlett Johansson, only the looks, only because she’s hot”, go watch her movies first, and I’m talking about her REAL MOVIES. Bob De Niro, great pick too. Go for it David, but don’t let us down or I swear I’ll be killing you, I swear it.

11. Freek

Elena is not the “uber hot chick”, casting someone too atractive for the part makes her a different character.

@9, I am also know as Mister Anti Fun, or Sir Buzz Kilington.

12. osric90

@11 Scarlett Doesn’t always look that hot and beautiful. She has one or two movies in which you would see her as the regular pretty girl around.

Buzz Killington? I saw you in a Family Guy episode!

13. Freek

In her art house stuff, sure. But we are talking about a big budget action movie here. They are one step short of suggesting Megan Fox….

14. onlineatron

@Stephany Nunneley

Your Johanssan inspired, festive lesbianism is most pleasing.

She is undoubtedly a marvel of modern glamour conditioning.

In fairness David O. Russel’s worst film (I Heart Huckabees) wasn’t even that bad. Three Kings is brilliant and I haven’t seen The Fighter yet (tomorrow will remedy that) but I’ve heard nothing but great things!

15. osric90

Dude, seriously. Go watch more movies.

16. osric90

15 was to Freek.

17. onlineatron

@Freek

The Prestige
    The Other Boleyn Girl
    Girl with the Pearl Earring
    Lost In Translation
    Ghost World

All great movies that she is great in. Sure she’s got the ‘Just not that into you’s’ under her belt, but she’s not bad at all in those.

Now, I would be willing to accept another as Elena… Ms. Emma Stone would be perfect, in more ways than one. She’s even blonde now (unfortunately) for her role as Gwen Stacy!

18. spiderLAW

I havent seen the Fighter yet either…..not much time to get out.

i like videogames to movies idea…just nobody knows how to do it right.

19. mathare92

I’m still not happy about all the “extended family” crap.

20. CaptPierce

The can do with the extended family like Joe Pesci. But I’ve seen The Fighter (which got nominated for Best Picture and Director) and it was excellent. Also the Other Guys was funny.

Two very talented actors and a talented director. I’ll keep my eye out.

21. Dralen

Emily Rose is super hot, Scarlett Johansson is also super hot. Either way, I would be a very happy man.

22. onlineatron

No one game for my Emma Stone nomination?

Fine… I’ll continue wanki-… err,… ‘admiring’ her on my own!

23. NinjaMidget

Not a chance Scarlet should play Elena. Elena has a more underrated beauty, Scarlet is smoking hot in everything I’ve seen her in.

Not saying Elena isn’t a good looking character (for a computer game) but its the personality and quick wit that shines the most. You need an actress who can express that, Scarlet, whilst a decent actress, I don’t think would be able to let people see that shine through more than the good looks…shame though!

24. onlineatron

Scarlett can do understated.
    She’s hardly ‘in your face’ beautiful in Lost in Translation.

That’s why I find her so attractive, she’s unique in her look, far from the blonde bimbo standard.

25. NinjaMidget

mmmm, fair enough, but I’m still not convinced.

Perhaps it’s the idea of Scarlett playing Elena that I can’t get my head around. Perhaps she’d be good in practice!