IGF Audience Award voting open

Monday, 31st January 2011 01:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110131amnesia

Voting has opened in this year’s Independent Games Festival’s Audience Award category, so weigh your choices carefully, and then vote for Amnesia: The Dark Descent. I mean. Which ever title you think should win. *cough*

The voting page contains a brief on each of the contenders, which serves the dual purpose of refreshing your memory and introducing new delights. For convenience’s sake, you can also see the list below.

The 13th Annual IGFs drew 400 entrants, and recently announced finalists across six categories ahead of the ceremony.

Thanks, Indie Games.

– Amnesia: The Dark Descent
– Bastion
– Bit.Trip Beat
– Bit.Trip Runner
– Bohm
– Brutally Unfair Tactics Totally Okay Now (B.U.T.T.O.N.)
– The Cat and the Coup
– Retro City Rampage
– Shot Shot Shoot
– Solipskier
– SpyParty
– Super Crate Box

1. David Sarkisjan

Having Amnesia as a default choice is totally unfair to other contenders.

2. onlineatron

Having Amnesia as a default choice is a time saving device, I can make the RIGHT choice quicker.

3. El_MUERkO

Pft. Minecraft will crush it. I’m glad of Amnesia’s success but Minecraft is too ‘game changing’, it’ll get bojillions of votes!

4. onlineatron

‘Game changing’?

It’s a shared level editor, with some tacked on ‘game’ elements. Most creations are made outside of the game and imported in.

There’s nothing ‘game changing’ about Minecraft, it’s struck a chord with the super-hardcore. It’s mechanics will not be replicated and expanded for a broader market. It will not be viewed as a turning point in gaming 5 years from now.

Amnesia isn’t a game changer either, but the way the game plays with disempowerment is phenomenal! It’s rare to see such an effective, and immersive, title… I hope it wins the IGF.

5. Blerk

Minecraft will undoubtedly win it, but I think I’ll be voting for Desktop Dungeons. I’ve put more time into that this past year than anything else.

6. Blerk

Hmm. Is it just me, or is it a bit weird to include games in the ‘audience voting’ section which don’t even have a confirmed platform or demo?

7. Badger

@4 Minecraft is far from being for only the super-hardcore. To get the full experience from it, maybe you need to know a lot about computers and understand logic gates amongst other things, but the point of Minecraft is the fact that you can do what you want and not do things you don’t.

For example, my girlfriend, who usually only plays Hidden Object games has been utterly captivated by Minecraft. She simply can’t get enough of it. She actually plays it more than I do. She enjoys exploration and building up awesome houses, and there’s nothing hardcore about that. It has been said before, but that’s because it’s true; Minecraft is digital Lego, and Lego is arguably one of the most widely loved toys.

My vote is with Minecraft, but there’s plenty of interesting looking games on that list that I’ll enjoy trying out.