Final Fantasy Versus XIII battle screens get out

Monday, 31st January 2011 04:52 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110131finalfantasyversusxiii

A couple of Final Fantasy Versus XIII screens have surfaced online, in case you wanted something to remind you why you have preorder ticket in your wallet old enough to be in kindergarten.

As far as our Google Translate interpretation powers go, Famitsu thinks this is one of the first exposés of FF Versus XIII’s battle system.

Three gameplay screens have been posted, along with two cinematic shots. Check them out at the link above.

Apparently, the party can hold up to three characters at one time, “prince” Noctis and two companions. Noctis is seen weilding a huge firearm of some kind, and Versus’ environmental weapons – in this case, some sort of turret – are highlighted.

FF Versus XIII swam back into public consciousness following Square Enix’s production event, and even managed to produce a trailer.

1. theevilaires

Truly amazing the graphics are insanely good! This is what you get when you focus only on one console with the most potential. I feel sorry for FFXIII developers. They are forced to make another game dealing with a system that will ultimately hold their talents back.

Obviously Nomura knows what he’s doing and knows he can only get his vision out of one console this gen. Great job so far by the Versus team.

2. Razor

Well let’s not go nuts…the graphics are hardly Uncharted; but I agree, Versus looks set to be something special. Some of the CG is just unbelievable.

Too bad we probably won’t see the game for another year, at least.

3. Johnny Cullen

The screens do look a bit jagged, especially the screen seen above.

But nonetheless, Versus looks promising anyways.

4. osric90

I still dreaming the day that FF developers bring some adventure-action game that’s not JRPG… I mean, I have no problems with those, I just want to see how those graphics, beautiful cutscenes and hot, hot, hot chicks would fit into some fantasy-action romance 3PS with lots of adventure, platform and exploring parts.

5. back_up

it will be good if it remains PS3 exclusive others it will become lame as multiplat game.

it should not come to RROD 360 and pirated pc

6. Crysis

As long as the core game remains the same, who gives a flying fuck if it’ll end up on another console?

7. Erthazus

@6 Exactly.

But some features like SIXAXIS and etc. Nomura promised to use in the game, so i’m interested to see whats up with that.

Can’t wait anyway. Last trailer was awesome and my interest is BACK.

8. Kuwabara

ff13 looked like shit, show me please where this game looks good, cause the pics don’t look special.

9. Blerk

Hmm. Three of those screens look like they’re from cut-scenes, and the other one looks like a fixed camera-angle. I was expecting something more along the lines of a ‘more realistic’ Kingdom Hearts.

10. Ignatius_Cheese

Bar the cutscene screens, this looks pretty much the same as FFXIII.

Am I missing something crutial that others are seeing or am I not wearing the appropriate SDF glasses?

11. tontsa91

The game looks exactly like FF13.

And JRPG’s are shit anyways.

12. Deacon

If I could ONLY play JRPG’s for the rest of my life, I wouldn’t mind.

I know it’s not healthy….

13. OlderGamer

FF has been dead inside for a long time tbh. This game does nothing to entice me, even Two Worlds II has me far more excited then this. This is going to be just another overly dramatic story driven, badly VO acted, heavily cut scened, with scripted gameplayed events kind of RPG we have come to expect from SE.

Psst hey SE, its not last gen anymore.

Oh well to each their own, but I am alot closer to feeling like Poster 11 then some of you guys. But damn if you EU folks don’t eat these kinds of games right up.

No disrespect of course, but not my cup of tea.

14. Zana

@13 If it’s not your cup of tea, why do you even car commenting?

FF is still a major franchise, mostly because they are still quite daring. Sadly, development times are getting longer and longer. Versus looks very ambitious, but will it be as bold when it finally releases… sometime?

15. Michael O’Connor

The recent gameplay trailer of this was enough to prove to me how bad a game this is going to be.

Square hasn’t made a single decent home console games since the move to current generation hardware. Yet their handheld stuff is consistently great. The mind boggles, truly.

16. Kuwabara

the only rpg worth playing this gen is demons souls and valkyria chronicles. im 20 hrs into mass effect 2 and im not that impressed. graphics meh, combat ok, exploring the different worlds isnt that exciting, becuase the levels are short and theres not much to do. It kinda feels like im in playstation home spaces, but in space, except for the shooting, lol. When does the game start to get interesting??

17. OrbitMonkey

@13&15 +1 Really hope Square can breathe fresh air into FF, i’d hate to think i’ve outgrown it :(

18. Michael O’Connor

- Do you wear your hair over your eyes?
    - Do you consider your parents the worst people in existence?
    - Do you still think the world revolves around you problems?
    - Do you get upset over the most meaningless things possible?

If the answer to all of these is “no” then you have officially outgrown the Final Fantasy franchise.

19. Blerk

Even last generation there were far better JRPGs than Final Fantasy – the Shin Megami Tensei games, for instance. Persona 3 kicked FFs X, X-2 and XII into orbit. It still has the most recognisable game, but as a series it’s in pretty serious decline. IMHO, of course. :-)

FF needs an almost total rethink, which was kind of what I was expecting Versus to be. Perhaps not, though. :-|

20. Monk

Persona 3 was great, but to kicking ass FFX :p, hell no !

@ 13

As always, repeating the same words every time, talking about Japanese and SE and how they were dead to you !

21. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Personally, I’ll no longer get excited over any Final Fantasy game till I see the final product, and reviews.

22. DaMan

FF XII was an extraordinary game, if only they spent a bit more time with the combat system it would’ve been up there with the best jrpgs. FFX on the other hand, was a merely dumbed down update of the psx FFs. it’s Square’s luck that game did just fine, could’ve ended getting the same reception as their latest title.

23. Blerk

I really couldn’t stand FFXII. Horrible game.

24. DaMan

I didn’t like how it felt too much of a ‘single player mmo’, but that was mostly due to the battles, which I thought were somewhat lame.

I actually think they should’ve released it as a standalone title, then again they did with the Chrono games and it affected the sales.

25. OlderGamer

The last, imo, really great traditional JRPG I played and loved was Grandia II(on the Dreamcast). I have enjoyed one or two here and there, and like Micheal pointed out most of the good ones are on handhelds these days.

And for the folks that don’t like me expressing my pov on FF and SE, it would seem that I am far from alone here. The old FF games, imo, were amazing experiences. FF II and FF III(in NA, they had different numbers elsewhere), on the SNES were near religious experiences.

I couldn’t tell you exactly why I don’t feel that way anymore. Maybe I am just too old, maybe I the games feel too generic at this point, too much exposure, too cliche’d, maybe they just aren’t done as well. But yea, they don’t do it for me.

Why comment if I don’t enjoy the game?

Why not? I didn’t see the banner on the website that says we can only make glowing statements. But it seems that some folks think those are the only kind of statements allowed when it comes to certian games.

You can have your opinions, and so can I? Its just how things work.

26. Blerk

The battling was dire, DaMan, agreed. Most of the time the game felt like it was playing itself.

27. DaMan

I played it with the gambits turned off though the entire game, so it wasn’t playing itself for me, lulz. but, it was rather shallow and ultimately not that different from the generic atb in older FFs.

I really loved the original Shadow Hearts, as well as PS2 tri-Ace games, but the genre has became a shadow of it’s former self after 2000.

28. Blerk

Bloody hell, how did you ever manage to get through it with the gambits off? Not because it would be hard, but because it would be ridiculously tedious! :-D

So many JRPGs on PS2 that were better than FF. SMT, Shadow Hearts, Valkyrie Profile, Atelier Iris, Star Ocean, Breath of Fire, etc. etc. The only thing FF had going for it was the name and the production values. At some point they appear to have gotten so wound up in producing the flashiest game possible that they’ve forgotten that it’s still supposed to be a game.

29. DaMan

I thought it was no more tedious than tapping the same button every time your ‘turn’ comes up in FF6. and I also made the game more exciting by being underleveled all the time.

and I agree, they were one of the better ones up until the late 90s, then the Square games became all about cgs with gameplay being an afterthought.

30. Michael O’Connor

Agreed with DaMan entirely.

Having the system automate attacks is no different to pressing the X button over and over and over… and over again. I thought it was a very inventive approach. You still had to plan out battles and strategies to win fights.

FFXII is my favourite Final Fantasy in the entire franchise, followed by IX and VI.

31. OrbitMonkey

I can’t be the only guy in the world who thinks FFviii was the best in the series can i?

32. Deacon

@ 31

It’s a pretty close second for me ;)

33. Monk

FFviii was my best game ever!

34. Kuwabara

i dont know how i missed ff7,ff8,ff9 while in the ps1 era. i played every single game except for those. I wish i can turn back time, cause playing them now feels weird, i cant play them with graphics that old.