Valve: Portal 2 console versions to be “identical,” but PS3 to be better updated

Saturday, 29th January 2011 09:56 GMT By Nathan Grayson

portal2

Now, now, 360 owners. If you’re gonna point those pitchforks anywhere, you’d best press them right against Microsoft’s throbbing Adam’s Apple.

“If you bought the PS3 and Xbox 360 versions and put them side by side you can see they’re identical games. The actual content is the same too across all platforms,” Valve writer Chet Faliszek told CVG.

Unfortunately, there’s still a fair deal of red tape around Microsoft’s online certification process, and Valve’s no exception to the winding maze of rules.

“With the PS3 we can update more often, we don’t have to have someone else gate that ability. We can play between the PC and PS3 players because we can update more frequently,” Faliszek explained.

“So from that end as gamers we always look at what we would want and how we wanted it and on the PS3 we’ve been able to deliver a lot of the things we would like to see.”

Basically, Faliszek was just confirming what he already told The Gaming Liberty last week.

1. Mike

You go girl.

2. freedoms_stain

I wonder if there’ll be dlc, and will PC and PS3 players get it free while 360 players have to pay?

I’m going to have a pre-emptive lol at the prospect of the fanboy rage.

lol

3. BULArmy

On the PC dlc will be definetly free but I doubt it that if will be free also on PS3.

4. freedoms_stain

@3, The excuse Valve give for charging for dlc is that MS make it expensive for them to give it away, if the PS3 are allowing updates via Steamworks (essentially free to Valve a la their PC updates) why not just push the dlc as an update as they do for PC?

As far as I can tell this deal lets Valve push content from their own servers to PS3 rather than using Sony’s, so why not?

5. Michael O’Connor

Updating games have always been a frustrating process on the 360, due to Microsoft’s limitations on patch sizes.

What would normally be a content patch on the PC or PS3 would need to be downloaded from the Marketplace in the “addons” area, but Microsoft charges for all of that, even the free stuff.

One part of this is due to how the machine was never designed with the guarantee of the user having a hard-drive (unlike the PS3), so they couldn’t make updates like that mandatory.

The other part of it is just plain old greed.

I wouldn’t be surprised if anything that’s free on the PC version will also be free of the PS3 version as well. Valve are quite the generous company when it comes to this sort of thing.

As it stands right now, all the extra advantages of the PS3 version are inclining me towards it far more than the 360 version.

6. Gekidami

It’ll be a real kick in the face if Valve happen to release any content on PC for free but ask that PS3 owners pay for it. Because it’ll be purely their own choice and sort of void all the interest in this system.

7. Callum

Moral of the story is, get it on PC. Lol.

8. typeface

I don’t play valve games outside of the PC normally but in this case since the PS3 version comes with the steamworks code for PC I’ll probably get that since it’ll be two for the price of one (during the launch month at least).
    Honestly I mean even if the dlc gets charged for on the PS3 and they keep it free on the PC, it just means people will opt to play on the PC with their steamworks code. So I can’t imagine them not keeping it free unless they want to make PC gamers out of everyone.

9. earlyrock

@7 No no. Get it on PS3. Then you get a PC/Mac copy as well ;)

10. back_up

PS3 version will be better than windows and 360

11. James Mac

“So then, it’s nothing personal. But if you give Valve the tools to do something, you can bet that they’ll do it. Us, we’re gonna vote with our wallets and hope Microsoft realizes that it’s high time that it makes a change for the better.”

Well… that’s just not true…

Valve have had the tools to make Half Life 3 for years…

Also, good on Valve for expecting MS to bend the rules for them…

12. albo88

@Michael O’Connor
    u just spoked out of you’re ass
    there is no need to go and look in to market place if there is an important update then u will get automatic when you start the game and that’s the fact
    dont try to hide the 1 hour wait of an ps3 update for at last 200mb or something hahahaha

13. Michael O’Connor

@12 In-game updates on the 360 have a very small size limit imposed on them. Anything over 30mb (just an estimate. I don’t know the exact number.) or so isn’t allowed as a direct patch by Microsoft, and needs to be applied as a manual download from the marketplace.

You’ll never see a 100mb patch on Xbox Live.

Here’s one example. Burnout Paradise. On the 360, you had to download each free content update separately from the Marketplace. On the PS3, these were patches.

So no, I didn’t “spoke” out my ass in the slightest.

I’m well aware of those huge updates on the PS3, and I’ll be the first to admit they can be annoying at times.

I remember one time I wanted to play LittleBigPlanet. I hadn’t played it in a while, and when I booted my machine up, there was a firmware update. So I had to install that. Then I booted up the game, and there was an update for it that was over 400MB in size. It took nearly two hour before I could get this all done and get into playing the game.

Both systems have their benefits and downsides. The 360 approach keeps thing running fast and smooth, while the PS3 approach allows companies to more freely expand their games after release. Neither is inherently worse than the other.

14. dr_lovejoy

@12, I’m sorry but that is just wrong. I don’t know what setup you have, but for me all downloads speeds for x360 and ps3 are the same. I think the main reason a lot of people have this is opinion is they forget that the updates on the ps3 are usually a lot bigger than the xbox. And updates on the ps3 must be installed (something that does take its sweet time for sure), unlike the x360.

As for DLC we will have to see, but looking at Faliszek comment to me says it will be free. Also DLC on Valve games is normally just a patch, which downloads automatically.