Rumour: PlayStation cloud-saving a Plus-only Firmware 3.60 feature

Saturday, 29th January 2011 08:50 GMT By Patrick Garratt

cloud

Kotaku’s rumouring that the inevitable future need to cloud-save PlayStation games will be a subs-only feature.

Sony has now apparently told developers to prepare for cloud-saving, meaning that PlayStation platform games further down the road will synch progress no matter if you’re playing them on PS3, NGP, and Android device or whatever else.

As the system is to apparently be a premium service, and it will “allow save data with the copy prohibited attribute to be copied into the online storage,” developers will be able to opt out of using it.

This is pretty obvious for another reason: not all games will be cross-platform.

Sony will supposedly call the process “Online Saving”, and it’ll be made available as part of the PS3′s upcoming 3.60 firmware update.

1. Uncontested

360 firmware on PS3? The end is neigh!

u see what i did thar?

2. Mike

What about the people without internet? Also, do you really trust a Sony-run network with your saves?

Not an opinion, imo.

3. Maximum Unreal

@1 LoL

4. typeface

So basically steamcloud for PSplus users. I can live with that if they work similarly which it sounds like it probably will.

I mean to be honest, this just means you’ll have your local saves and cloud saves which you can sync which is entirely upto the user. Since for most games you pretty much can save like on the PC with new savefiles and the like this isn’t bad really.

Though I do get the feeling that with the introduction of Steam to the PS3 gives Sony the opportunity to study Steam much better and make the PSN more like Steam except certain features would be tiered to plus unlike Steam which is entirely free.

5. toastrules

@2, the only people with PlayStation Plus are the ones who also have internet…

As for the Sony-run network, that is more in the gray area. I haven’t heard of a big PSN shutdown before though, except for the ApocalyPs3, which was simply an error with some internal hardware for 1 measly day.

6. NiceFellow

Sounds fair enough. I’ve always preferred the idea of a free to play online model like PSN vs Live and if Plus expands as paying for both loyalty discounts and Sony storing stuff for you then I can live with that.

Steam’s still the champ though – cloud saving plus multiple installs plus free.

7. frostquake

*WARNING*

Cloud Saving “only” can be a Huge Headache!! If the Service ever shuts down, your screwed on everything you Save!!

When I Did Sony Connect, I never thought they would shut down and lost over $1000!! They Shut it down, and BAM!! Lost it all!!

And Don’t go saying their Sony, they will never shut down..because they will!!!

8. freedoms_stain

@7, Cloud saves are stored locally as well as in the cloud.

At least that’s how it works on Steam. If I play a game on my girlfriends computer then load up Steam on my computer the game receives a very small update as the cloud files are sync’d with the local.

If Sony drop the service you lose nothing other than the convenience of being able to transfer saves between machines without needing to go through the process of copying to external media.

Realistically how much sense does what you’re suggesting make? It would kill offline gaming.

9. Dralen

Yeah, I always thought cloud services were just used as a back-up incase you lose your local save data.

10. Michael O’Connor

Most sensibly designed games allow for a duel saving option, where you can save both online and offline at your own discretion, and as already stated many games also keep local copies of your cloud saves just in case.

It’s obviously going to be a choice, not mandatory, so what the hell are you people freaking out about? Seriously, stop making mountains out of molehills.

11. ivycrew707

This is the reason I became a plus subscriber…after one good ylod incident this is invaluable!

12. earlyrock

I really want this. Bring it owwaaan!

13. frostquake

I just Know Sony can be kind of Funky with stuff like this. They usually do it in a way that doesn’t make sense. Steam makes perfect sense, so if they do it that way, I am sure it will be ok…So this will be interesting to see it unfold though.

Still Not worth the Plus Subscription for me though

14. Razor

This is good option and good decision to make it Plus only…but you really don’t want to be trusting anyone with your saves.

15. theevilaires

You can still back your own shit up on your hard drive retards. Its an option not mandatory only solution. I bet you fuckers were the same morons who believed in Y2K.

16. Psychotext

Umm… Y2K was a very real issue. I worked on fixing a banking system that would have fallen apart if it wasn’t for a ton of work done changing the variable types and testing everything. The only thing that wasn’t real about it was the bullshit about planes falling out of the sky and the world ending.

That aside, what good is backing up your hard drive when you can’t restore it to your replacement PS3 (if your PSS fails). It’s literally only of any use if your HDD fails.

That aside, you’re completely right… this is entirely optional and I guess it’s a nice thing to have for those people who play with multiple PS3s. I only have the one PS3s, so not that useful for me.

17. Michael O’Connor

@15 You just called people retards, then proceeded to suggest that Y2K was bogus.

…oh man! Hahahahahahaha!

18. Erthazus

I don’t want to be a douche,

but STEAM does this long time ago and for free…

19. earlyrock

@15 Don’t call people Retards, Coffee.