Lanning: Just Add Water creating Abe’s Oddysee HD

Saturday, 29th January 2011 18:58 GMT By Johnny Cullen

abes-oddysee

Oddworld Inhabitants chief Lorne Lanning has told EGM that a HD remake of Abe’s Oddysee is in the works at Just Add Water.

“Abe HD is going into production,” Lanning told the mag.

“It’s basically Abe’s Oddysee being redone in a 3D physics engine as a 2D side-scrolling platformer. So the way Just Add Water wants to approach it, we thought was very smart; they are not trying to reinvent any wheels. It’s like, ‘Can we make that experience in a new engine, with new tech, in the old way?’”

Oddworld Inhabitants and the Yorkshire-based JAW announced last year a collaboration to create titles in the Oddworld series “across multiple platforms”.

The first out of six titles planned from the studio is a PSN HD version of Stranger’s Wrath in easter.

But Lanning says an XBLA version is ready to go, but it’s a bit more complicated than that.

“We have Stranger all ready to go on XBLA, but the answer keeps being no. We’re still talking to [Microsoft] and we’re hoping to work it out.”

To read up more on the partnership, hit our interview with JAW boss Stewart Gilray from last July here.

1. Callum

Fucking wicked. A new generation of people will be able to fall in love with the Odd-world series, and I will be able to re visit one of my favourite games of all time.

I hope this does well, because an HD Exodus would make my day! One of the few sequels to actually improve on the previous title.

2. burrsalem

I hope Microsoft pulls their head out on Stranger’s Wrath. I’m not actually opposed in principle to a careful approach in what they allow on their platform. The quality has been at a pretty consistently high level the last year or two. Unless there’s major issues with the build though, this one seems like a no-brainer. Let it through. We want to play it.

3. OrbitMonkey

I can’t see why Microsoft are dragging their heels with Strangers Wrath. It was on the original Xbox after all o_O Looking forward to having this & Beyond Good & Evil on my ps3 :)

4. No_PUDding

This is rubbish. I know it’s cheaper for JAW, but I really wanted a new Oddworld game, in a 3D environment.

Just not possible, hey?

5. Phoenixblight

Not possible if the studio has no money. This would be the best option to jump start to getting the funds to start a new gen game.

6. DSB

@3 The version released on PC was, and still is, outrageously buggy.

To their credit they’re actually making the effort to fix it, but it was basically unplayable when it came out.

As I understand it, Microsoft are insanely anal about certification, so if the game is as broken in the console versions, that would certainly explain their troubles.