Tretton: Sony will “avoid repeating” PS3′s launch problems for NGP, global launch unlikely

Friday, 28th January 2011 05:44 GMT By Brenna Hillier

72577807JS011_Sony_To_Debut

SCE America CEO Jack Tretton has commented that Sony has learned from the financial and production challenges of the PS3′s launch, and will not repeat them when the NPG releases this year, although a global launch may not be possible.

Tretton told Engadget that a simultaneous global launch would be ideal, but that “the reality might be something different.”

“I think our goal is, we would get at least one territory out by the end of holiday 2011,” he said. “It’s very difficult to have the quantities to be able to launch on a worldwide basis on the same date.”

“When you’re dealing with new technology, there’s always challenges you didn’t anticipate,” he continued. “There’s a ton of new technology, but I think we’ve been about reaching beyond the status quo and delivering technology that people couldn’t even envision, and with that comes risk.”

The CEO commented on the PlayStation 3′s troubled launch, calling the console “the biggest technological achievement [Sony has] ever had” but adding that “it wasn’t without challenges both financially and from a production standpoint”.

“I think at the end of the day it was worth it, but I think it certainly made for some difficult challenges. I think we’d look to avoid repeating that, but when you’re dealing with new technology there are always road blocks.”

Thanks, CVG.

[image]

1. Tallon 4

As long as the release in Europe first, I’ll be fine :)

2. Erthazus

I want that stuff. But i need to see some games in Action.

Uncharted is coo, but i thought it was just a port, now they are saying it’s a completely new experience. I want to see that too.

3. Razor

Oh, so Jack won’t be paying anyone if they find NGP on shelves? :)

4. Renegade

@1: I think Japan goes first…

5. JimFear-666

same as @4
    I would bet 100$ that japan will be first… Sony come from japan after all

6. tenthousandgothsonacid

The only problem with the ps3 launch is that it was TOO FUCKING EXPENSIVE

I don’t see how they can avoid that with the NGP given the spec

7. dragonsight

i dont think the ps3 was to expensive when it came out. IF, you looked at what was being put into it. though, this latter turned into a double edge sword for sony as they took away backwards comparability to decrease manufacturing costs and people complained about the lack of ps2 game playback. when i bought mine i remember sony was selling it at a loss of about 18 dollars. so, we already know what sony is willing to do to get a new console into the hands of people. as far as this PSP2 goes i dont see any new type technology that hasnt been in the market for awhile or that is being produced by another company unlike the cell processor.

8. Gekidami

^ People dont really care about about what you get for the price you pay and value. they just understand that a certain price point is high for a type of product and thats it.

The only real problem i had with the PS3 launch is that it wasnt global. Looks like that isnt going to be fixed for the PSP2.

9. Erthazus

” dont think the ps3 was to expensive when it came out.”

It was expensive for the new tech, while maybe it was the cheapest blu ray player it was not worth at that time.
    Value was also questionable when 360 started to roll out Gears, announced that GTA 4 is also coming and etc.

In 2009 everything changed dramatically when they started to pull out of their asses something.

10. chronoss2

Can somebody tell me how long did Europe have to wait after the original PSP hit japan ?

11. Blerk

“Every region by holiday 2011″ sounded miles away until I realised that it actually was 2011 already. What happened to 2010? I think I missed it. :-D

Edit:
    Original PSP release dates:
    JP December 12, 2004
    NA March 24, 2005
    PAL September 1, 2005

12. Madlink

@ Blerk

Wow I never realised that there was such a delay between the release for Japan and PAL territories with the PSP. Hopefully that’s not the case with the PSP2, though going by what Tretton is saying there it’s doubtful the UK will see it until 2012.

I was genuinely surprised by the power it seems to have under its hood, so can’t wait to get my hands on one.

13. Talyis

@9 Erthazus buddy, in my opinion Sony came out pretty good, yes it was a bit expensive but the tech in it was a good deal for your purchase but I do agree with Gekidami about why most consumers didn’t buy it because of how they think of console pricing! In my opinion a lot of the bad sales also was effected by MS’s Sony bashing campaign, There was a lot of news bashing and fanboyism before it was even released! They may not have had an awesome release lineup aside from Resistance, but neither did the 360 they had Kameo and not much else! Now Gears is good but it’s a pretty hyped game same with Halo and even the same with GT and MGS in my opinion fun games yes but nothing amazing! I think the PS3 started it’s stride before 2009, it’s just more actual gamers stopped listening to all its bashing and finally opened there eyes!

14. Erthazus

@Talyis, i agree with you that Sony came out pretty good, but they didn’t CONVINCED consumer with: “Why you need this?” question. When you have innovative and cheap Wii and Xbox 360 that have no blu ray and absolutely hillarious E3 presentation you just don’t care anymore + blu Ray format at that time was questionable.

Halo yeap is overrated piece of crap (Gears Of War 1 was also OK game at best) and MS campaign bashing Sony was also successfull, but Sony just didn’t do it right. They failed at everything.

Yes there were goods. I still remember why i purchased PS3. Just for Metal Gear Solid 4 and i’m still satisfied. But thats how it was.

Now look with NGP:

1) Good specs
    2) Decent presentation
    3) Some interesting games and E3 is still too far.

Next they need to introduce the RIGHT price for the consumer and you are done. You can sell it like hot cakes.

15. AHA-Lambda

right so 2012 for EU then? =(

16. Moonwalker1982

250 euros for it would be awesome, but i just don’t see that happening.

17. Psychotext

Europe will get fucked as usual. They know we love it when they treat us mean (hell, Europe buys far more playstation stuff than anywhere else in the world, so it must be true).

18. Kuwabara

those complaining about prices seriously need to get a job!!save for a fucking week and ull get it easily

19. Gadzooks!

It’s not a question of cost. Its a question of value.

For the first year at least the PS3 was terrible value for money.

20. theevilaires

I never seen such a pathetic cry baby bunch. Its fucking money, how can you not know have a way to earn money. You fuckers are just lazy and want shit given to you. You don’t value what hard work and dedication can bring you.

If anyone here bitching about the PS3 being $600 at launch still think it wasn’t worth it then you’re a fucking loser and your opinion shouldn’t be taken seriously from this day on. I do believe some things can be price way unreasonable but the PS3 was not especially when SONY was losing like $230 on every fucking machine to give you the best media capabilities value from a machine that could replace your PC for most things.

How can you look at the PS3 from launch with all its features and say its not worth it now? How mother fucker HOW!? If SONY told you the machine could do 3D back in 2006 and showed it would it have been worth it then? You mother fuckers just make excuses but the fact of the matter is you’re low class pieces of shit who want life to be as easy as possible. Well let me let you in on a little secret ITS NOT EASY! You work your ass off hard for the finer things in life or you be a fucking slacker and have to settle with shit like the RROD all your life.

Do me a favor, grab your nuts and repeat after me:

I AM A MAN NOT A BOY
    I CONTROL MY LIFE
    I WILL CONQUER ANYTHING LIFE THROWS AT ME
    I MAKE THE MONEY THE MONEY DON’T MAKE ME
    I AM THE MAN!

Now get the fuck out there and make that money and buy the PSP2 at launch if that’s what you really want!

21. Psychotext

“If SONY told you the machine could do 3D back in 2006 and showed it would it have been worth it then?”

You realise that most gamers really couldn’t give a toss about 3D right?

22. Blerk

The PS3 totally wasn’t worth it at launch. :-D

23. theevilaires

You missed the point. My point is SONY could have said the PS3 could be used as a jet pack your mother fucking broke asses who can’t afford it would have still found excuses for not getting (or wanting) one. When the fact of the matter is you couldn’t afford it.

Just say that instead of bashing a console that actually didn’t break on you in the first 3 months of purchase and so on for the next 3 years every year, scratch your disc because you bumped into your console slightly, and/or you only got half the game because you had to pay an extra $50 bucks to activate the other half. Just say I wish I could have a PSP2 but I can’t afford it.

Is your little internet ego that precious that you can’t admit that. Stop trying to be cool bashing a system because you can’t afford it.

24. StolenGlory

I can’t afford the PSP2 either really, but I intend to save up long and hard for it :)

25. theevilaires

How the fuck can’t you afford $400 possibly, given $400 is not the price hopefully and would be too much, but the point is if you don’t have $400 lying around for no reason then you need help. Seriously guys come on I’ve hit hard times in my life but I bounced back gracefully and I could wipe $400 with my ass as toilet paper. Some of you guys are just fucking pathetic.

26. Psychotext

Wow

27. Blerk

Are you off your meds again, TEA? :-D

28. StolenGlory

Holy shit dude.

Chill the fuck out homeslice :)

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Tea you’re one crazy muthafucka – i love it!

30. OrbitMonkey

Tea is available for birthdays & bar mitzvahs :-)

31. theevilaires

you forgot bachelorette parties ;)

32. Crysis

@TEA, Unfortunately not everyone is made out of money, we have mortgages/rent, he have electricity, we have gas, we have water, we have groceries, we have phone bills, we have internet bills, we have children: NONE of this is free, if you have $400+ to pull out of your arse, good for fucking you, but don’t you dare call people who don’t have money to rub on their arse ‘pathetic’, you ignorant snob.

33. theevilaires

I have all those things and I’m well aware so do others. people are just careless with their money and waste it on impulse purchases. That kind of thinking doesn’t help you in life financially. We all know the PSP2 is real, its coming out this year or maybe next year early spring (SONY is infamous with that trick tactic) start saving now. Its simple.

Don’t sit on your ass the last minute when its about to come out and then bitch you can’t afford one. Everyone here can buy one I know that. But there’s a difference in “can buy” and “can afford”. Plan for the future thats my point. You have ample time if you really want one, but enough with the bitching and moaning if you know you can’t afford it. Lets not cause another PS3 vs 360 next gen of hardware is what I’m trying to prevent.

34. G1GAHURTZ

Meanwhile, in other parts of the world, people recently overthrew the government, because they couldn’t afford bread.

35. theevilaires

I’m aware of that too G1GA I’m not speaking about those people but everyday Americans who live in a country where they have a free chance to make something out of themselves choose not to. Then they get mad when foreigners come here and instantly start their own businesses and are driving a Mercedes Benz in 6 months time.