Namco mentions Enslaved and “going forward” in the same comment

Friday, 28th January 2011 10:12 GMT By Johnny Cullen

enslaved9

Despite poor sales from the first game, Namco Bandai marketing director Lee Kirton has said that Enslaved may yet still develop into a franchise.

The first title, Odyssey to the West, released last October on PS3 and 360 to low sales. But its critical reception from media and gamers may yet see the Ninja Theory IP expand.

“It didn’t perform as well as we hoped it would, but we’re very proud of how it was received by both the media and the gamers who have experienced it,” Kirton told MCV.

“I can’t discuss where we are in terms of a sequel, but we’re looking at reviews and feedback from the press, and because of the gameplay and quality that Enslaved delivered, we see it as a great catalogue title going forward.”

Ninja Theory was hiring for positions last year to work on a new game alongside its current project, a reboot of Capcom’s Devil May Cry franchise.

All indications at the time pointed to an Enslaved 2.

1. orakaa

Regarding Enslaved, its story and background are interesting, the gameplay mechanics are ok, but the level design comes from another era… Feels like playing the first 3D platform titles on the PS1 (GEX 3D, etc.).

If they change that last part, they could make it an even better game

2. nofear360

I loved everything about the game! Maybe, just make the combat a little bit richer the next time around and I’ll be a happy camper.

3. Blerk

I still might give this a go once it hits a tenner. Just to see, like.

4. WizardWeb

For the most part I liked Enslaved. The fighting the Mechs thing got boring, I preferred the exploring sections.

However one of my gamer mates said that you should be able to play as Trip and then it wouldn’t be the standard “big strong man comes to aid helpless female” story. Have to say I agree with her, I know that’s the essence of the original tale, but it’s a bit out of date now.

5. OrbitMonkey

Big strong man helping small female maybe outdated, but its a classic archetype. In fact its a….

Tale as old as time

Song as old as rhyme
    Beauty and the Beast

Tale as old as time
    Song as old as rhyme
    Beauty and the beast

6. Goffee

COME ON – its a new world with new characters, what’s not to like in a world of FIFA and CoD ad infinitum? It was great to try something that looked and felt a little different (I thought the slight old-school mechanics were rather charming).

It’d be even better if they’re allowed to evolve the gameplay mechanics and do something new with the world… and its not something I can see becoming an endless series – just a cool, neat set of three tales perhaps.

7. StolenGlory

Agree with Goffee. I recieved Enslaved as a Christmas present and just toally love it to bits. The characters, the emotion, the post-apoc setting that ISN’T a grey wasteland.

Completely fell in love with it.

So yeah, more please :)

8. abnormal alan

yeah i’m with Goffee and Glory I got it for christmas and played it through in a couple of days. I loved the characters they actually felt like people.

Plus Andy Serkis is a fucking legend

9. Gheritt White

Agreed – I think this ranks up there with some of Serkis’ best work.

if they added some depth/complexity to the platform elements (i.e. more use of the B/circle button for grabs etc) then I;d defo be sold on the sequel.

10. Deacon

I would have liked to have seen this sell a lot more than it has. You have to feel for Ninja Theory a bit.

11. Kuwabara

here are some tips for sure success.

MAKE THE GAME LONGER!, ADD MORE FIGHTING COMBOS/POWERS ( LIKE IN HEAVENLY SWORD)!, MORE ENEMY TYPES, ADD BONUSUS/EXTRAS FOR AFTER COMPLETING THE GAME!, CHANGE PUBLISHERS!, ADD MORE CUTCENES AND MAKE THE STORY BETTER!

12. theevilaires

This game was brilliant and I’m telling (not asking) you to go buy it because Ninja Theory deserves props for this game. Stop playing CoD you brain dead fools and play true digital art.

13. MushroomStamp

I didn’t like the game at all. Didn’t really find anything good about it. For the record, I don’t play CoD or other FPS anymore either once i beat the campaign.

14. Kuwabara

im sorry TEA, this is the only time ive disagreed with you. The only good thing about the game was the battles against to t-rex/dog and the few mins of gliding with the board. It felt like a last gen game. i dont know how the hell it got a rating of 80 on metacritic. Apparently this game was to have awesome cutscenes and like uncharted2, blur the line between movie and game. One reviewer said it did a better job than uncharted 2.. The whole time of playing enslaved i did not see more than one proper cutscene, like the ones in uncharted. There was just a few in game cut scenes that were short. Where the hell was the strong bond and relationship between the two characters that some reviewers spoke about? How the fuck could they compare the story and movie like experience being on the same level as uncharted 2.. Heavenly sword did a much better job when it came to story and cutscenes. Trip was boring, and only had any emotional response when her died. They should have had the original team of Heavenly sword make this game, or atleast play uncharted a few more times..

15. theevilaires

I’m sure Ninja Theory wasn’t given much dev money and time to properly do a triple A game. Remember they were coming off the rep of Heavenly Sword which didn’t do so well and I’m sure Namco took that into consideration of what they could do money and time wise.

I like Enslaved. If Capcom has faith in them that they will revive the DMC series then I guess I’m not alone. Enslave was a test and they passed to me with a B+

16. Isaaclarke37

I loved the first Enslaved and if there is a sequel i will be definitely in.