Yoshida on PSP2 pricing: “It’s not going to be $599″

Thursday, 27th January 2011 16:25 GMT By Johnny Cullen

psp26

So none of this, then. Unless it’s actually higher than that. In which case, as you were.

SCE WWS boss Shuhei Yoshida has said it’ll avoid a repeat of its E3 2006 press conference by not pricing its next-gen PSP successor, codenamed NGP, $599.

“It’s not going to be $599,” he told Game Informer.

Yoshida does admit that pricing has been a big concern for Sony since project work on the handheld began in 2008.

“From the very beginning of the project — since 2008 — pricing was one of the considerations that we had. Hopefully when we announce the price, people will see the proper value.”

The comment follows that of earlier remarks from SCEE head Andrew House, saying the price of the machine will be “affordable”.

NGP releases this year in Japan. Catch up on everything from the event here.

1. Erthazus

:D ahahaha

so it will be 598$ with pack of giant enemy crabs !

2. EscoBlades

$500. You heard it here first.

3. Crysis

Someone from Sony also stated that they’re selling it at a loss, idk whom & i forgot where i read it.

4. Erthazus

“There will also be different SKUs, one has 3G & all have wifi but the 3G costs is up to the provider, may just have a micro sim input.”

I hate this stuff. I hope it’s not true.

5. Dr.Ghettoblaster

$250 USD = SOLD.

$300 USD or higher = FAILURE.

6. Blerk

Having 3G as an option is smart. Not everyone has a use for that.

7. Suikoden Fan

~4 it is, there going to be a non 3g version and a 3g version with the 3g costing more and requiring a contract just like the ipad

8. earlyrock

It won’t be higher than PS3. I think it might be bang on with the 3DS. If Sony really wanted to please people and run away with the ball, a sub 3DS price would really be the answer. Most of the features are in smartphones now anyway. It could be cheaper than we think.

…I hope.

9. Dr.Ghettoblaster

3G just means faster/higher internet bandwidth, yes? Does that mean I’d connect from anywhere, or could I still connect to wireless network if prefered?

10. Onikilly

“There’s no way Sony can justify pricing a handheld any higher than it’s big brother PS3 which is currently $299 USD.”

Nintendo dit it well though

Nintendo 3DS > 250 $
    Nintendo WII > 199 $

11. PsychoboyUK

@9 you can connect to wireless where you like :)

In general if it does have 3G you WILL need somesort of DATA plan from a network Provider which is an extra cost but 3G is good :).

12. Dr.Ghettoblaster

@11. Ok thanks. Fuck it then, I don’t need 3G in my hand held gaming device. I’ll take the cheaper sku – COOL!

@10. Difference is though that the Wii is garbage (imo). 3DS almost seems SUPERIOR to Wii in some aspects. Not so with PS3.

13. Elven_Star

A cheaper version with no 3G support would be great. I for one, have no use for the 3G connectivity. Bought myself the wifi-only version of Kindle as well ($50 cheaper), because I don’t need the 3G.

14. Crysis

@10, But Nintendo are innocent, they never do anything wrong, EVER =\
    So Nintendo are allowed to to make a small profit on hardware, but Sony aren’t.

15. Aimless

I expect it to cost more than the PS3, somewhere between £249-299 — or roughly $299-349.

The way I see things it’s a bit like the PC market: a high performance laptop will cost you a lot more than a similarly specced tower. Form and function are more key to pricing than parity of power.

16. Crysis

Ah! CVG posted the article about the SKUs http://www.computerandvideogames.com/285786/news/sony-ngp-multiple-models-3g-not-standard-and-will-cost-extra/

17. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Thanks Crysis!

“all of the devices will have Wi-Fi capability; a separate SKU will have 3G,”

I’m actually REALLY glad to hear that. EXTREMELY actually.

I want this. Bad. Sony is smart. Getting us all juiced up about the product and leaving the most important part ($$$) out till some future date…

18. Michael O’Connor

@9 3G is a wireless data transfertransfer standards. It allows for data transfer without requiring any sort of physical connection to the internet, who basically means you could play your games online while you’re sitting on the bus.

Since the device has inbuilt Wi-Fi, you’ll obviously have a choice. The 3G will likely come with a subscription cost anyway. If it’s connected to specific carriers, I won’t bother with it, but if Sony are smart, they’ll package a 3G subscription into the PlayStation Plus scheme.

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^ Thanks Michael.

“..if Sony are smart, they’ll package a 3G subscription into the PlayStation Plus scheme.”

Ooooooohhhhhh that’s a brilliant idea actually…

20. Elven_Star

Great news! Thanks.

21. MushroomStamp

Or they might bundle the 3G the same way the Kindle did. Free.

22. theevilaires

SONY!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU BEAUTIFUL MOFOs I wake up to the best news of the day. This is awesome I LOOOOOOOOOOOOVE PlayStation :D This shit rocks! I’m getting two of them day one. Fuck price. This will replace my samsung galaxy tab for sure.

23. Crysis

@18, That would persuade me into getting PS+

24. M2Kx

“This will replace my samsung galaxy tab for sure.”

lol, you serious?

25. Crysis

@21″House also confirmed there will be a cost for the user for 3G services” :(
    More like the iPad than Kindle.

26. Bond James Bond

But does it have Mario and Zelda…

27. hitnrun

3G isn’t free on the Kindle. They sell a Wifi only version.

(Edit: Yes, it is free from ongoing charges. Of course, Kindle is transferring almost pure text and Sony is transferring mutli-gig videogames.

So maybe the fact that there’s a 2nd SKU means that 3G will be free after you pay the extra upfront?)

28. Phoenixblight

Uh yes it is granted you have to pay more for the 3g + wifi but no fees for the 3g.

Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) is the easiest option because there is no wireless setup—you are ready to shop, purchase, and read right out of the box. Built-in Free 3G connectivity uses the same wireless signals that cell phones use, but there are no monthly fees or commitments—Amazon pays for Kindle’s 3G wireless connectivity.

29. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Question.

Do we know when Sony is going to announce price/release date? E3 or sooner you think? I’d have thought that news will come today at the end of the event.

30. earlyrock

E3 would be ideal. Pricing, SKU’s, games etc all in on big show.

31. Lord Gremlin

For a handheld… I don’t know. At least it should be cheaper than PS3.

32. Kuwabara

if they want the psp2 to outsell the 3ds, they need to have a marketing campaing that appeals to everyone, especially the young kids!! such as the ones already on DS, like the animal ones, and it has to be cute and look realistic/cute, and also something for young boys and show it off in different colors to apeal to kids. Then then have to show a monster hunter game, and the system is guaranteed to outsell 3ds.