Uncharted demoed on NGP, Killzone, LittleBigPlanet, Resistance, more announced

Thursday, 27th January 2011 07:21 GMT By Nathan Grayson

unchartedngp

Sony’s just announced the first games for its “Next Generation Portable.” The short version? Get excited. Here’s the first-party software shown in Tokyo today; get all the third-party stuff, Metal Gear included, here.

Speaking during its Tokyo PlayStation Meeting, the publisher name-dropped Uncharted, Killzone, Hot Shots Golf, Resistance, Wipeout, Gravity Daze, Little Deviants, and LittleBigPlanet as upcoming NGP titles.

Uncharted

The publisher then showed Uncharted running live, demonstrating how the touch panel can be used to control Drake in addition to the new and improved analog nubs. For instance, Yoshida slid his finger down the touch pad and Drake slid down a vine. More impressively, you can touch places and Drake will immediately move to them. The gyrosensor can also be used to make Drake leap.

Little Deviants

Also on display was a game called Little Deviants. Kotaku helpfully provided the following video.

In it, Yoshida displayed the fact that the NGP’s rear-mounted touch pad is the same size as its main screen, so a tap on the back corresponds to a tap on the front (which sounds really dirty if you’ve got our wizened, 12-year-old sense of humor). The front screen also has touch capabilities, however, so that’s an option as well.

Yoshida then booted up Hot Shots Golf, showing off the game’s ability to correspond its first-person movements to those of the NGP camera. When he moved, his in-game point-of-view shifted as well, essentially giving him a tiny peephole into the game world.

1. Erthazus

I like that lineup, but if this is just ports of old games then meh…

2. frostquake

PRICE PRICE PRICE!!!!

3. 52pickup

@2 599 dollar!

4. frostquake

YUCK playing the game with your fingers Under it..That outright SUCKS! I have to Finger its underside..COME ONE..What Jack Wagon thought that was cool??

5. lexph3re

@1 hmm seeing how this is showing. Off the fact a handheld device can pull this kind of detail off you can wait to see what future support it will have. Be happy we have a handheld that even looks this damn amazing.

@4. Ohhh really? Sooo how many touch pads you tried out like this? Really I have to know seeing how you already know how things will play… -_-….

6. frostquake

Well All I have to do, I guess is turn my Phone over and Finger Its Underside. Who knows Sony could be cornering the Next Market on “Fingering The Underside.” I still want it though, as long as it is like my Wife’s DSi, where you can “choose” to use Touch or Controls…I HATE the Stylus, that is why I NEVER play the DSi, and play my PSP almost exclusively. Laying in Bed right before going to sleep and trying to handle a Stylus is a Joke for me. The PSP; however, I can just play, get sleepy, put it in the dock to charge and Done. No worry that a Stylus will get lost and find its way up my Unmentionables…

LOL!

7. lexph3re

Oh…. that’s a major concern on the stylus issue….. I actually agree with that…. but touching the backside never seemed like a bad idea to me even when it was rumored. I actually would like it because I could concentrate more on the big screen!

OMG!!! THIS THANG IS REALLL!!! A PORTABLE F’N ps3!!!

8. frostquake

No way anyone is touching my “NGP” without me inspecting their Hands…Dirty, Sticky, Whatever..Forget about it!

Also you have to consider the Weight of it, holding it in one hand and using the other trying to finger its underside. My Wife can’t hold the DSi too long so she sits it down on a lapdesk..You won’t be able to do that with the PSP2, because you will need to touch the backside!

9. Gekidami

Did they actually show footage of Killzone? Was it the first one?

10. Erthazus

@9 Second probably.

11. Crysis

Cool, a portable PS3 :D

12. xino

i wish Uncharted is a prequel before Drake’s Fortune!

13. Dralen

I want one.

14. Dannybuoy

There is amazing potential with the rear touch screen. I just want to see some HD quality game footage now.