Sony outs tech specs for NGP

Thursday, 27th January 2011 08:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ngp 3

Sony’s just released the tech specs for NGP, the next-gen successor to PSP that was announced this morning. Get them below.

CPU

ARM CortexTM-A9 core (4 core)

GPU

SGX543MP4+

External Dimensions

Approx. 182.0 x 18.6 x 83.5mm (width x height x depth) (tentative, excludes largest projection)

Screen

5 inches (16:9), 960 x 544, Approx. 16 million colors, OLED

(Touch screen)

Multi-touch screen (capacitive type)

Rear touch pad

Multi-touch pad (capacitive type)

Cameras

Front camera, Rear camera

Sound

Built-in stereo speakers

Built-in microphone

Sensors

Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Three-axis electronic compass

Location

Built-in GPS

Wi-Fi location service support

Keys / Switches

PS button

Power button

Directional buttons (Up/Down/Right/Left)

Action buttons (Triangle, Circle, Cross, Square)

Shoulder buttons (Right/Left)

Right stick, Left stick

START button, SELECT button

Volume buttons (+/-)

Wireless communications

Mobile network connectivity (3G)

IEEE 802.11b/g/n (n = 1×1)(Wi-Fi) (Infrastructure mode/Ad-hoc mode)

Bluetooth 2.1+EDR ?A2DP/AVRCP/HSP?

1. Crysis

Two things that i want to know, How much SSD storage do we get & what’s the physical format(is there a physical format)???

2. Herlock

@ Crysis

;)

3. Blerk

The media’s ‘flash-based’ they said, so I surmise it’ll be some kind of proprietary SD card like the DS uses.

Edit: Ha, that was a good guess! :-D

4. frostquake

I figured it was some New “Stick” format, kind of looks like a SD card, crap got gravy on the Netbook..OMG and I let the fire go out in the Fireplace..it is 19 degree’s outside..YIKES..Oh well wife can get another blanket, this is too important…LOL..

5. mojo

ive heard of 16GB internal flash and flash cards as medium.

6. Crysis

Yeh, i got a glimpse of that the second time i viewed the reveal video.

7. frostquake

UM JC the Pic is Upside Down..LOL

Edit: Nope My Bad…Brain is spinning with Info overload..LOL sorry

8. PwnedHaxor

Is that the PSP2 on the Pic?

9. frostquake

well I guess with these specs, I can safely assume my 40 UMD’s I have will not play at all?

10. Blerk

Did they even mention backwards-compatibility?

11. Robo_1

Yup, fully backwards compatible, and MH was demonstrated.

12. frostquake

Wait..It didn’t look like it had a Slot for UMD’s..going to look again..

13. Gekidami

^ MH was downloaded, it’ll play digital PSP games.

14. Blerk

Did they confirm that that was the original PSP version and not a port, though? I’ve just scanned the reports and it’s sort of unclear. As far as I can see they didn’t specifically mention PSP BC. Unless they did and I’m blind. :-D

15. frostquake

Oh..Well then MY UMD’s will just be paper weights when my Old Legacy PSP breaks..Sigh!

16. Blerk

UMDs are horrible anyway. :-)

17. frostquake

@ Blerk

ROFL..I know..Maybe when they start taking Pre-Orders for the “NGP” I will trade them all in towards the purchase of it! Still hoping for a $299 price tag..

18. Blerk

Just to answer my own question, the PS Blog has this to say on backwards-compatibility:

NGP will be able to play PSP titles, minis, PS one classics and video from the PlayStation Store, as well as all games newly released via PlayStation Suite.

Although I hear that you have to download everything again as the security’s all different. Which is probably understandable.

19. TheWulf

I’m going to just be smug as hell here and say… I called it.

The graphics are up to spec, but the processing power is wimpier and has nowhere near the punch that the PS3′s cell processor does. This is going to limit games in some ways despite the graphics being up to par, so I wouldn’t expect exact PS3 ports.