NGP takes all comers: Call of Duty, Metal Gear, Yakuza, Lost Planet, Monster Hunter, more demonstrated

Thursday, 27th January 2011 07:41 GMT By Nathan Grayson

metalgearNGP

The PlayStation meeting may have been Sony’s party, but the publisher certainly didn’t hog the spotlight. Third-parties got in on the action too. How many third-parties? All of them, basically.

Monster Hunter/Lost Planet

Third-party devs came out in droves to support NGP. First up, Capcom’s Jun Takeuchi grabbed the mic and demonstrated a downloadable version of Monster Hunter Portable 3rd running on the NGP.

He also booted up Lost Planet, which looked absolutely stunning on the tiny portable.

Yakuza

Next up, Sega brought out a demo of Yakuza 4 to show off how easy it is to port pre-existing content to the NGP. Here’s a video, courtesy of Kotaku.

Dynasty Warriors

After that, Koei Tecmo trotted out its signature Musou (Dynasty Warriors) series, and murdered even more mindless soldiers than usual by tapping on the touch screen.

Metal Gear Solid 4

Next up, Hideo Kojima demonstrated Metal Gear Solid 4. Like Yakuza, MGS4 was a test – not an actual title planned for release. “This game used the model data and environments from PS3, and it was exported directly to NGP,” Kojima explained.

Kojima then discussed cloud gaming and gave a slightly insensitive “I have a dream speech” about how he hopes to let players begin games on consoles and continue them on portables. “This dream is going to come true in the near future. I am currently working on a new project for that dream,” he said. That fruits of his labor will be presented at E3.

Epic Games

After that, it was Tim Sweeney’s turn. He took the wraps off an NGP version of Dungeon Defenders, which runs on Unreal Engine 3. It was developed by Trendy Entertainment and was quickly ported from PS3.

Call of Duty

And then a bombshell: Activision announced Call of Duty for NGP. “We believe Call of Duty will set the bar for the next generation of portable gaming,” said Acti’s Philip Early.

After the debris cleared and families struggled to reclaim their old lives, Sony rattled off a list of other developers who plan on supporting NGP. Q Entertainment, Ubisoft, and Rockstar were all included.

1. frostquake

The MAJOR Failings of the PSP1 was HORRIBLE third party Support and lack of games..if they get it right this time around..It will totally Rock..Unless…Unless..OMG I can see it now..
    CRAPPY Ports of the DS coming over to the PSP2..Please SONY, no CRAPPY ports of DS over to the PSP2…But if they have a HUGE library of games, first and third party, it will do much better!!

2. lexph3re

Or direct ports of 360 titles O.o if this thing can run mgs 4 there’s nothing it can’t do. I literally don’t care what the price is anymore lol

3. Erthazus

Suddenly i want PSP2…

4. mojo

wait, this is yakuza 4, a full fledged ps3 exclusive ported to psp2?
    impressive at least.
    need better quality video asap

5. Blerk

The ‘ease of porting’ thing is obviously a huge win for getting support for the machine. The trouble is, are the kinds of games they’re mentioning the kinds of games that people really want to play ‘on the go’? Didn’t they already go down this route with the original PSP? Hmm.

6. xino

the PsP 2 sounds like Dead on Arrival man!

I mean wtf is Best Game Ever MGS4 doing on PsP2?
    People should already have it on PS3!

There are no new games! just farking ports!

3ds has better lineup, DOAD and NInja Gaiden are coming to it! Plus 3D too!

7. TIMCSS

@6, man are you stupid?!!!. The MGS shown was a tech demo and the new game is MGS4. Uncharted is a new title, so for killzone etc. There all new games. Am sure at E3 there will be new IP’s Aswell

8. Erthazus

@6 Hello there. It’s not E3.

9. Michael O’Connor

I just realised something.

If this thing really can handle PS3 level games, this would the first handheld where we could see simultaneous release of home console games on a handheld. Especially since its apparently so easy to port over PS3 assets to the device.

Now *that* is an exciting thought. Think about… “Grand Theft Auto 5, coming this summer to Xbox 360, PS3 and NGP!”

10. G1GAHURTZ

I’ll probably get one if CoD is decent on it.

11. Blerk

Would anyone really take the portable version over a big-screen one for games like that, though?

/awaits a huge list of people saying “I WOULD!!!”

12. Psychotext

I’m sure plenty of people would. It’s not really what I want out of a handheld though.

13. G1GAHURTZ

For quick ‘jump in, jump out’ games, this would be fine.

If I can have a quick blast on CoD when I’m on the move, I’d probably go for it.

For 50+ hour SP games, when you’re looking at a 4-5 hour battery life, I don’t see the point.

14. Blerk

Quite. The least interesting thing I can think of for them to do is just replicate the exact same games that are on the home consoles.

15. Michael O’Connor

I would. I love portable gaming. My PSP collection is three times larger than my PS3 collection.

If the device has state saving, longer games wouldn’t be a big issue.

Kojima’s idea is great. Imagine logging in to play some DC:UO on you NGP, then continuing when you got home? I’d love that.

16. Nathan Grayson

I think Kojima’s got the right idea: make one game that can transfer back-and-forth between PS3 and NGP. It handily sidesteps the “will I have to buy games twice?” issue and makes use of the NGP’s capabilities. In an ideal world, everyone would follow that example. More to the point, I think they will – eventually.

17. Blerk

Are they really going to do that when they have the opportunity to sell it to you twice, though?

18. DaMan

er, what’s great about starting the game on a 24 inch monitor at home and finishing it on a tiny screen during the launch break. for one it kills any immersion whatsoever.

set and setting. it matters.

19. TIMCSS

i would always pick a ps3 version over the ngp, just because i would want a full screen experince.

What would be cool is if you brought the ps3 version you can get is cheaper on ngp from the store. Instead of paying full price.

I will buy NGP, but i want different games from my ps3. But its a very clever tatic from sony. As soon as they release ps4, The NGP will still be there :)

20. osric90

This is the ultimate wet dream for portable-players.

21. Robo_1

I hope they’re smart and introduce variable pricing on the software, similar to the PSN. Quick and dirty PS3 ports I’ll take for sub 20 notes, fully fleshed out NGP exclusive titles, I’d shell out 40 for.

22. Crysis

@21, It’ll never work like that, it’ll be good, but i can’t imagine that happening…