Industry analysts and John Carmack weigh-in on Sony’s NGP

Thursday, 27th January 2011 18:50 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

ngp

With the announcement for NGP from Sony this morning, three industry analysts have weighed-in on the news: Mike Hickey of Janco Partners, Lazard Capital Markets’ Colin Sebastian, and Wedbush Morgan’s Michael Pachter. So did John Carmack, technical director at id Software.

Here’s comment from the three analysts, courtesy of Industry Gamers:

Mike Hickey

• “We are expecting a +$250 price point for Sony’s NGP. We’re naturally excited over the muscular hardware specs including: two analog sticks, 3G connection, touch screen, OLED display and developer support. However, we suspect Sony’s NGP will face considerable market competition from smartphones, tablets and Nintendo’s 3D’s gaming handheld. We believe Sony’s PSP and PSP Go failed to resonate with today’s mobile gamers; and view the NGP as an evolution not a revolution from the aforementioned. The mobile gaming market moved aggressively away from Sony’s interpretation of a mobile game experience, and it’s not clear to us that the NGP is mapping to that new market.”

Colin Sebastian

• “[NGP has a] strong software lineup, but unlikely to hit the mass market. At launch, Sony expects to have a strong lineup of games for NGP, including Activision’s Call of Duty as well as Sony first-party titles, including Killzone, Uncharted, and LittleBigPlanet. While clearly differentiated from the more casual games that have made the iPhone a phenomenal success as a video game platform, it remains unclear whether there is mass market potential for high-end portable games. We note that Sony’s PSP did not meet initial sales expectations despite offering the highest quality graphics on a portable device at that time. Over time, we expect the NGP and PS3 to offer concurrent game-play in the ‘cloud’.”

Michael Pachter

• “It’s a pretty impressive device, the screen is relatively expensive, and the features set suggests to me that we’ll see something in the $249/€249/£199 range (those pesky VAT countries!). There is a lot to like, and Sony has a huge library of content. The device looks pretty powerful, so I wouldn’t be surprised to see some pretty sophisticated games, and the 3G capability and relationship with Android means we’ll see a ton of Android apps on the device as well. I suppose it will sell incredibly well for the first year (would bet 15 million or so), and then it will succeed or slow based upon the availability of software, much like the original PSP. I think it’s a huge step up on the PSP, and think that the memory card-based games (a la DS) make a lot of sense.”

id Software’s John Carmack took time away from tweeting about rockets to comment on the next PSP, and stated over Twitter that: “Low level APIs will allow the Sony NGP to perform about a generation beyond smart phones with comparable specs.”

You can get caught up on everything PSP2 related through our gorgeous round up post.

1. PsychoboyUK

I would agree with them all if im honest :)

2. Erthazus

I agree with them all too.

It all depends on Sony really. But Call Of duty title can reach mass market if it will be done right.

Personally i’m more interested in PSP2 than 3DS.

E3 will be the final judgment for me. I just hope that Sony won’t drop the support for NGP after 2 years.

I want Final Fantasy, New Kojima Game – confirmed, BATTLEFIELD and i’m sold.

3. PsychoboyUK

@2 AMEN Brother

4. Crysis

@2, EA hasn’t confirmed if they’ll publish on the device, if they do, i fear it may only be their sports division. :(

5. NinjaMidget

I’m not as completely swayed by the lineup but I really want to be!

The 3DS has some great remakes on the go, but if this has cross platform (psp/ps3) trophy support and better ability for online play then I could be hooked.

6. get2sammyb

I dunno. The hands-on impressions are overwhelmingly positive so far, and the reception around the ‘net has been really good too. I agree with @2, there’s definitely potential.

Personally I WANT console experiences on my portable. The problem with the original PSP was that it had to compromise controls.

NGP solves that problem. It looks more comfortable and the controls won’t be compromised. What’s more, the variety of inputs make this device super versatile. It can do casual minigames, uber-hardcore games and everything in between.

We’ll see. I understand why the analysts are cautious.

7. get2sammyb

@4 – They will. There’s no way we’re not getting The Sims/FIFA/etc on this.

8. Renegade

Well, I doubt 249$ because Sony has an experience of 2006 599$ PS3 announcement and is going to offer a cheaper price…maybe 200 or something

9. get2sammyb

@8 – No way. $250 would be a brilliant price. I reckon it will be $300 though.

10. Razor

I think they’re all trolling Sony with the prices they’re suggesting.

11. reask

I have to say it looks like a nicely done hand-held.
    If it gets the right support from third party’s I reckon this could really take off.

12. MegaGeek1

I dont think the analysts will ever get it. There will always be a market for the PSP2. The hardcore who can only take iPhone “games” in small doses and want bigger and better things are going to eat this up. I know I will. Why does it always have to be one or the other? Cant I have an iphone and a PSP2?

13. Kuwabara

i dream of peace walker, ps3 like graphics or snake eater 2 on psp2

14. mojo

15 million?
    oO

10: thought the same ..
    this will never ever sell for 199 pounds

15. Crysis

I truly hope it sells for $250 USD, that way it’ll be about $300-$350 AUD which i can afford, but i cannot afford that horrible price the PSP Go launched for, $400 AUD MINIMUM, normal was $450, remembering that AUD & USD are currently the same ;\