Drakensang: The River of Time released

Wednesday, 26th January 2011 21:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110127drakensang

Drakensang is one of those words that sound a lot better to native German speakers, just like the literally-translated name of the classic pen-and-paper RPG which inspired the series, The Black Eye.

A second attempt to capture the feel of the Das Schwarze Auge universe, the Drakensang series just expanded with the release of River of Time.

A prequel to 2008′s The Dark Eye, River of Time has been published by THQ through digital portals – Direct2Drive, Impulse and Steam are the usual suspects.

The original The Dark Eye: Drakensang saw an expansion, Phileasson’s Secret, and was expecting a spin-off, Demonicon, missing presumed dead in the insolvency of developer and publisher The Game Company.

River of Time developer Radon Labs have also been swallowed up by the march of finance, absorbed into Bigpoint before its own acquisition, and that THQ have extracted the game from this mess is an applaudable feat.

The pen-and-paper RPG Das Schwarze Auge is considered a classic of its genre and rivals Dungeons and Dragons in some territories. A trilogy of games in the mid nineties was its last outing before Radon Labs tackled the Drakensang saga.

1. Night Hunter

It doesn’t rival Dungeons & Dragons, The Dark Eye kicks D&Ds ass big time, gameplay-mechanics wise.

Didn’t really like the game though, although the River of Time is better than the first one.

2. Stephany Nunneley

@2 Never played it, but as a long time D&D Player, I am intrigued, especially if it as good as you say.

3. Night Hunter

Well, maybe I exaggerated a little bit, D&D definitely has its upsides and thruth be told, I still play 3.5, never really cared about the 4th Edition. But in my opinion D&D is just a little over the top and there are some things that just don’t make any sense, like for instance theres an attack, but there’s no active defense, just your armour.

The Dark Eye just feels more low fantasy and medieval, plus I think the EXP based Skill and Upgrade System is just sweet.

4. Uncontested

is this a euro release? I dont see this on steam, only the original drakensang is there.

5. Erthazus

Brennha Hiller i LOVE YOU! :D J/K J/K…

I never thought that anybody will mention Drakensang on this site because it is hardcore and very niche.

@2, It’s not D&D, but it’s a very interesting system. It’s not going to kick D&D’s ass but it’s doing a good job for what it is.

If you played Neverwinter Nights games expect something like that. Drakensang is one of the best niche RPG games out there.

Start playing the The Dark Eye and than River Of time.

6. Brenna

Erthazus, you may love me, this is permitted. In return, I shall remain frostily aloof so as not to puncture your idealised visions.

7. Old MacDonald

I can’t seem to find this anywhere, though. Is it out in the non-German parts of Europe?

8. Night Hunter

@#5: We were not talking about the computer game but the underlying pen & paper rpgs.