Rumour: half of Disney Epic team laid off

Tuesday, 25th January 2011 01:13 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110125epicmickey

Although Warren Spector has made some hopeful sequel noises, Disney doesn’t appear amused by Epic Mickey’s poor critical and commercial performance. Industry figures are talking about significant layoffs at the Junction Point studio.

CNBC reports that insiders claim nearly half the 700-strong Junction point staff have lost their jobs.

A Warner Bros. developer tweeted that he was “hearing about layoffs” at Junction Point, adding that it “sucks for everyone involved… those laid off, those still at the studio. Bad times everyway you look at it.”

Bryan Cash of Schell Interactive, whose office is in the vicinity of Junction Point, chimed in with “condolences to those folks laid off from Junction Point.”

Disney are yet to respond with an official statement, except to confirm that Junction point has not been closed. The publisher recently closed its Pirates of the Caribbean and Tron: Evolution developer, Propaganda games.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. earlyrock

Shame, cuz I thought Epic Mickey was alright. Should of gone multi format.

2. hitnrun

Anyone who claims to have an opinion on this game is probably lying. What were they thinking releasing it as Wii only?

3. frostquake

Just bought it for half price on Amazon and I waiting for it. I tend not to buy Full Price Wii games, because my Wii is usually under the bed collecting dust!

4. Blerk

It seemed to do alright in the US in December, 1.3 million sales iirc. I guess it must’ve tanked everywhere else, like it did in the UK.

I think the most surprising thing about this story is that there were 700 people at Junction Point! They were obviously a lot bigger than I imagined them to be.

Seems over for Disney’s games experiment, anyway. Looks like a social and web games focus for them from now on, which is a bit of a shame as some of their IPs are ripe for gaming.

5. Anders

700 seems like a crazy amount of people for Epic Mickey. Also, with 350 people left, that’s more than enough for developing new titles.