Reggie Fils-Aime: Third-party 3DS launch lineup “probably the best we’ve ever had”

Tuesday, 25th January 2011 22:23 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110107reggie_grnt

Speaking to MTV Multiplayer, Nintendo’s Fils-Aime has cited the strength of third-party development for the 3DS as responsible for “probably the best” launch line up Nintendo’s ever had for new hardware.

“The thirty titles plus titles that we’ll have at launch we think are a fantastic launch library, and certainly from a third party perspective, probably the best we’ve ever had for the launch of a new system,” Fils-Aime said.

Addressing the new handheld’s lack of really big-hitter first party franchises at launch, the Nintendo of America head confirmed that “Mario, Zelda, all of those titles are coming.”

“From our perspective, we like to launch titles when they’re ready,” he continued. “And so they’ll be ready, they’ll be ready soon. Just not in that initial time period of late March to early June.”

In the meantime, “In terms of what the hardcore gamer has to look forward to right at launch, I would say ‘Super Street Fighter 4,’ I would say ‘Dead or Alive,’ I would say ‘Madden’ and I would say, yes, the three first-party launch games that we have, as well.”

Fils-Aime offered up the strength of the Nintendogs and Pilotwings franchises, as well as new IP Steel Diver, as other examples of attractive launch titles.

Thanks, GoNintendo.

1. kupocake

He is right: this is probably the strongest launch line-up we’ve ever seen. I’m trying to think of a witty ‘but that’s like being number one x in the y of the z’ line, but it’s more effort than it’s worth. None of this offsets the yorkshire pudding tax that British DS hardware and software will labour on.

Wake me up when the mass-market version rolls out with a Final Fantasy VI remake.

2. xino

i’m sure this guy used to be a GREAT sales man back in the days by the way he talks and pitches:/

3. Doomsayer

It is in fact so great, that it made me cancel my preorder. Now that we know what a launch window is…. Suck it Ninty

4. Lightmanone

@kupocake. Are you kidding me? This is the worst lineup ever. Not even the remake of Zelda OoT is hitting the launch lineup. And I am not even interested in that game. Not ever, EVER in the history of Nintendo have they ever launched a new hardware thing without 1 of the big 3 titles: Mario, Zelda or Donkey Kong. (or tetris, but hey. people are even playing it nowadays. so yeah).

I went to the E3, especially to see the 3DS. I was so happy that I could see how well it actually worked. I was thinking: this is worth every penny. Then i saw the titles: Kid Icarus, Paper Mario, Animal Crossing, Mario Kart. I was thinking: This is gonna be MASSIVE.. They will blow up any competition they have. And then they are coming with THIS?! Steel Diver? Pilotwings? Nintendogs??? Are you kidding me?! This is the worst launch line up EVER.. And I am a Nintendo FAN(boy).

5. Gekidami

Yeah, but lets be honest Reggie, the standards are low.

6. TheWulf

I think the only thing that would have me buy one of these devices at launch is if they pulled something truly amazing out of their hat.

Such as a new Ecco game developed by those who worked on the Dreamcast title. (And not just a port.) Thaaat would be a launch title that I’d sit up and pay attention to.

Usually though launch titles aren’t that interesting.

7. marijnlems

Who would ever believe anything Reggie Fils-Aime says? He’s broken his promises more often than Peter Molyneux.