360 Crysis 2 multiplayer closed beta now live – shots, video

Tuesday, 25th January 2011 10:28 GMT By Patrick Garratt

crysis2art

EA has now released the Crysis 2 multiplayer closed beta, at a hard drive cost of 1.8Gb. This is an 360 exclusive. Get it here, and find a direct-feed movie and screens below.

The beta features the “Skyline” map, and two game modes: “Team Instant Action” and “Crash Site.”

Team Instant Action pits two teams against each other as they kill as many opponents as possible to earn higher ranks.

In Crash Site, players will battle for control of alien drop pods, earning points by guarding their pods and keeping enemies at bay.

EA has “no other announcements to make at this time” regarding a multi-format release for the test.

On release, the shooter’s multiplayer will include six gameplay modes and 12 maps set across recognizable locations in New York City.

Throughout the campaign, players can earn up to 50 multiplayer ranks and a variety of different upgrades to their weapons and Nanosuit.

Crysis 2 will be available PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 on March 22 in North America and March 25 in Europe.

1. BULArmy

The betrayal of Crytek for the PC community is just astonishing, no demo no MP beta. Almost all of the footage was from the console versions… It is sad how they forgot very easy how the PC community made them the company which they are now and that this kind of attitude is definetly not a good marketing idea.
    Before something come and say something about piracy, even with the piracy thay bought a lot of stuious and invested in other things outside of gaming.

2. EscoBlades

You do realise that the PC is the LEAD platform for this game right?

Quit crying.

3. Psychotext

Saw some vids of this yesterday. Looked better than I expected for a console version.

4. Erthazus

@2 Really? =\ i’m waiting for the PC footage almost for year now you know?

5. EscoBlades

Yes really!

This game has been “optimised” for console performance. NOT the other way around.

Given the success of the original Crysis on the PC, it only makes sense that Crytek’s foray into console gaming (with Crysis) would involve heavy advertising and marketing towards console gamers.

6. StolenGlory

At the risk of sounding immensely stupid, isn’t a closed beta something which only allows a finite amount of players and is generally distributed through more controlled means? (e.g. A limited number of sign ups get sent e-mails with beta client activation codes).

This seems like an ‘open’ beta more than anything else.

Feel free though folks to call me out on my stupidity/ignorance however.

7. Erthazus

@5 i’m waiting for the Crysis 2 demo or decent PC trailer already for the year.

and it’s like PC version does not exist.

8. EscoBlades

@6: You are right.

It is in fact, an MP demo.

The wording remains the same from the Closed MP Tech test a few of us played towards the end of last year. They clearly didn’t bother to change that.

9. Gekidami

You’re correct.

10. Patrick Garratt

I’ve added shots from a game I just played. Video very soon.

11. Blerk

I’d love to know what goes through some peoples’ heads when they pick their XBL gamertag. I’m suspecting the answer might be ‘air’.

12. Gekidami

13. StolenGlory

Pat – what is the framerate like?

The build that I saw at the EG Expo late last year was horrid in that regard.

14. BULArmy

@Gekidami I lol’d haven’t you ever played CS or something more oldschool shooter? Now if you tell me that there is a separate knife I will see light in the tunnel for the game.

15. Patrick Garratt

@13 – I literally played it for five minutes, but it seemed solid. I’ll play it more later.

16. StolenGlory

Ah brilliant. Cheers.

17. Fin

18. Gekidami

I have. But most games these days stay away from that kind of thing. And no, melee is single button, though theres no knife just just hit with the butt of the gun.

19. EscoBlades

@13: I agree…the eurogamer build was BAD.

The tech test (beta if you will) however, was, as Pat said, solid, and actually quite enjoyable.

I suspect this will be too. Am at 80% downloaded. Will post thoughts when i’ve played.

20. StolenGlory

You know that Erthazus posts here right? :)

21. Erthazus

@Gekidami
    “Just played a game myself. Its pretty odd that you have to equip grenades to throw them.”

Oh jesus… So fucking casual..

Have you ever played Counter-Strike? Or.. Half-Life? Or something old school?

@Fin, “Shooters handle so much better on 360 than on PC anyway. Good job Crytek, hopefully go console-exclusive for Crysis 3!”

I can’t comment on this shit.

22. orakaa

I don’t get it : THIS was supposed to be the most beautiful game ever released on consoles ?

From those screenshots, the game isn’t better looking than MW2 or Killzone (I would rather say the opposite, the environment look rather generic, uninspired and “cold”, lots of alisasing, lighting seems odd at some points, etc.)

23. Erthazus

Gosh… Now i really need to think about my statement where i said: “Crysis 2 looks better then Killzone 3 on consoels”

Because from these screenshots it looks like a complete CRAP.

Thats basically LOW-Medium settings of Crysis 1 at best… AT BEST.

24. Gekidami

^ I wouldnt say its “complete crap” but KZ3, it aint.

25. Erthazus

nuff said… Oh lol…

26. orakaa

@23 : indeed… the more I look at the screenshots, the more it feels like an updated version of CounterStrike.

Maybe it’s just this map, but even if you don’t consider the environment, it looks quite “meh”

27. Patrick Garratt

Video added.

28. Psychotext

That video looks awful. lol

29. Gekidami

I’d say its more of an updated CoD than anything else. Its CoD with Nano suits, seriously nearly everything is lifted from CoD. The biggest difference (apart from how you throw grenades) if the bullet damage, you seem to die really quickly in this, its probably to give maximum armour more use.

30. Erthazus

Saw video.. super shocked…

Thats low-medium settings, i’m serious. I can even show a youtube video.

Killzone 3 blows this by a 1000 mile. Crysis 2 on consoles is at the Call Of duty console level. Just LOL.

31. M2Kx

Downloading, no hating… (not yet :D)

32. orakaa

@29 : I meant that quality-wise, or rather artistically speaking, the game feels uninspired.

I’m not a huge fan of the COD games but any single map of a COD game has got a more refined approach and atmosphere than this.
    It doesn’t feel like a beta but rather like a test demo on a generic map -___-

What shocks me is all the PR made by Crytek on this game, saying it would be “the next milestone” for video gaming in terms of graphics… when in the end it isn’t even as good as average games of the genre

33. Psychotext

“Saw video.. super shocked…”

There are far better vids out there than that in fairness. I wouldn’t say it’s representative of what I have running in front of me right now, not that it looks a whole lot better.

34. Fin

@20 Of course, but even he should realise that PCs won’t last more than a few years. Consoles are the future, graphics and control wise.

35. G1GAHURTZ

Skill Pat, Skiiiiiiiilllll!

36. Patrick Garratt

I think you’ll find I’m highly skilled at first-person shooters. That’s clear from the way I died many times in quick succession and tried to hit a man on the head with a hand grenade.

Obviously, this is SD, and it’s capped at 30FPS. There’ll be HD caps on YouTube soon enough. I’ll stick one up as soon as they’re there.

37. Crysis

Any split screen for online guys?
    Mate’s bringing over his 360, cool if we both could play, I sold mine after my Gold sub ran out, Fuck paying to play online.

38. StolenGlory

I love you dude. :D

39. G1GAHURTZ

@ Pat:

LOL!

That granade to the head was über l337.

40. Blerk

Oh dear, the internets appear to be somewhat unhappy with this as well!

41. Crysis

At least you got the kill with that close quarters grenade XD
    Kamikaze!!!

42. Psychotext

Well, played a bit of it… meh.

43. absolutezero

I fucking hate console fucking matchmaking jesus fucking christ I spend more time staring at a revolving fucking symbol in these games rather than actually playing.

Fuck off Matchmaking you are the worst thing ever.

44. Gekidami

The game is ok really. Its obviously made to please the CoD fans so alot of people should be happy.

45. Ge0force

@17 Not every gamer is a noob that needs auto-aim. Mouse owns every controller available.

46. mojo

wow, from what i can read here the game does seriously underwhelm?!
    unexpected..
    and actualy the first time a successor looks worse then the predecessor.

47. Blerk

Struggling to find a single forum post that’s anything better than “disappointed”. Ouch!

48. Nozz

ouch indeed. From the footage ive seen so far it looks generic as hell

49. Crysis

@45, Erthazus provides all the Anti-console we need on this site, we all already know KB&M will normally beat a gamepad, but noone gives a flying fuck about it & it’s quite frankly pathetic to call those who prefer comfort & accessibility over precision, noobs.

50. sickgamer

boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

51. Callum

Fin, don’t feed the troll!

52. Tallon 4

Played it for about half ab hour and I find it meh at best.

53. Ge0force

@49 Not really, comfort is also for me one of the reasons why I play most of the games on console.

54. M2Kx

Played it for an hour.

It’s not bad, not as bad as I thought it would be. The problem is that in every minute you play it, you notice that it’s not the final build. The perks, the movement etc. All feels not done yet, so I’m pretty sure the final is going to be a good shooter, maybe no real danger for call of duty but still a good one.

Also pretty funny, attachments, perks and killstreaks almost everything’s like in CoD4 (besides the crazy stealth shit etc.)

55. Ge0force

Perks and killstreaks in Crysis 2? Time for me to cancel my pre-order…

56. M2Kx

…and noobtubes, DON’T FORGET THE NEWBTUBES!!!111 xD

(sorry)

57. Fin

@51 ;)

58. albo88

x360 this time has surpassed itself epic light crisp visuals

59. spiderLAW

I enjoy your sarcasm

60. kinny999

not impressed, its gone from a day one purchase to a rental at best based on the last hour of the demo.

61. freedoms_stain

A few thoughts:

It’s ugly. Sorry, but it is. Graphically it looks no better than CoD or Bad Company, possibly a little worse.

No destruction? I’ve gotten used to being able to blow a wall out to disrupt a campers killfest in BC2, Crysis 2 is supposed to have this fantastic destruction engine, but not online? What a waste.

Hit detection online seems poor. You can see in the kill cams blatant misses and even dudes that weren’t even looking at you, result in kills (and I think I was hosting :/)

Head shots don’t seem to matter. I saw a guys head, just his head, plowed my pistol at it and he didn’t go down.

The concept of balancing your power levels is pretty cool, but it sucks that you have to share power with sprinting.

Bit shitty to lock up the team based mode until you reach lvl 5.

I have to manually select grenades? That’s not cricket these days ladies and gents.

62. M2Kx

^ ladies and gents, a typical bad company player :D

63. Crysis

The only FPS I’m interested in this year are Battlefield 3, Homefront, Resistance 3 & Crysis 2.
    I will not get BF3 near launch,
    I’m very iffy on Homefront,
    I want to know how Crysis 2 will run on PS3 before i reserve judgment,
    But i’ll likely buy Resistance 3 day one depending on the overall impressions.
    Although I do have a very slight amount of interest in Brink & Bulletstorm, but they are nearly invisible on my radar.

64. Dr.Ghettoblaster

At work till 9pm, so I can’t play it till tonight, but keep in mind it’s a demo folks. I can think of a few demos that didn’t do the full game justice (ie. Castlevania, Dead Space 1, MOH beta sucked imo, but the campaign is much better).

65. theevilaires

Rock-Paper-Scissors SHOOT!

Halo Reach beats this and KZ3 will slaughter all….KZ3 it is!

66. Crysis

This year is the year of the PS3, no other console has as many AAA full retail games coming to it, but the PC also has some top notch shit coming exclusively like Witcher 2, Diablo 3 & Dawn of War 2: Retribution, but thankfully for the 360 crowd they have nearly as many multiplatform games & ofc possibly Microsoft’s best game, Gears 3 & for car fanatics there’s Forza 4 & for the Nintendo loyalists there’s Conduit 2, Zelda Skyward Sword & a shitload of casual, shovelware & spin offs.

67. Hunam

I am kinda disappointed by non-kinect Xbox exclusives of the last few years. Microsoft got rid of most of their internal studios and so they have lost their ace in the hole in some respects.

Sure, multiplatform is generally better on the Xbox but having few reasons to just get stuff on the Xbox is wearing thin.

68. M2Kx

And again another news turns into shit thanks to comments…

69. freedoms_stain

The range on the beatdown in this is insane. I jumped into a camper nest at the top of the Skyline map spamming shotgun fire and beatdowns and guys were getting beatdown from miles away while the combined fire of 3 guys couldn’t get through my armour in time.

Also, cloaking + semi-auto sniper and insane range one-hit beatdowns = campers paradise.

I think I’ve lost all interest in multiplayer games like this.

70. Isaaclarke37

The Music sounds epic.I can’t wait for the OST.

71. IL DUCE

I would love to try it but it has continually froze for me and I have given up on it…