UK charts: LBP2 goes in at number one, ME2 PS3 charts at seven

Monday, 24th January 2011 11:49 GMT By Johnny Cullen

lbp2-c

Chart-Track’s announced that LittleBigPlanet 2 has entered into the number one spot in this week’s UK charts, but sold 95 units less then its predecessor’s debut.

As far as chart position goes, however, the Media Molecule platformer sequel did a lot better then LBP1, which only charted at number four at its debut in the UK in 2008, behind Gears of War 2, FIFA 09 and Fallout 3 (thanks, Blerk).

Last week’s top spot winner, Black Ops, is shunted to second spot. The rest of the top five is rounded off by Just Dance 2, FIFA 11 and Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood.

BioWare’s Mass Effect 2 charted at number seven, mostly due to the release of the PS3 SKU.

Full top ten for the week ending January 22 is below. Last week’s data is here.

1. LittleBigPlanet 2 (Media Molecule, Sony Computer Entertainment)
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops (Treyarch, Activision)
  3. Just Dance 2 (Ubisoft, Ubisoft)
  4. FIFA 11 (EA Sports, EA)
  5. Assassin’s Creed: Brotherhood (Ubisoft Montreal, Ubisoft)
  6. Wii Fit Plus (Nintendo, Nintendo)
  7. Mass Effect 2 (BioWare, EA)
  8. Kinect Sports (Rare, Microsoft Game Studios)
  9. Gran Turismo 5 (Polyphony Digital, Sony Computer Entertainment)
  10. Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit (Criterion Games, EA)

1. Blerk

Seven? SEVEN?! What are you doing, PS3ers?

2. The1stMJC

Playing LBP2, I will get Mass Effect soon though

3. mojo

playing GT5 (atleast 80% are doing this according to my friends list)

as ever: there are jsut too many games out.
    seriously, who can realy play all those blockbuster coming out?

4. Michael O’Connor

@1 Buying it for a fiver on the 360, obviously.

5. Michael O’Connor

Also, congrats to LBP2. The top spot couldn’t have gone to a better game.

6. Erthazus

@1 Buying PC version. The best available.

7. Ge0force

@5 Agreed, the possibilities of the game builder are truly amazing! Haven’t seen much advertising about the game tho, will Sony never learn?

8. Psychotext

“Haven’t seen much advertising about the game tho, will Sony never learn?”

I saw quite a good advert last night. The missus (whose authority on such things I trust as she’s always watching TV) says it’s on quite a bit.

9. Detale

There’s been a fair bit of TV advertising, saw the advert two or three times last night which is a fair improvement on the usual Sony ad campaign.

10. loki

@6 only in your dreams PC’s nerd

11. Lazerate

@1 Playing Mass Effect 2 on the ps3….. guess im the only whos commented that they bought the ps3 version :).

12. Psychotext

Thought this was interesting… I guess LBP2 is launching at a quieter time of year?

“Developed by UK studio Media Molecule, ‘LittleBigPlanet 2’ is the first in the franchise to achieve top spot in the All Formats Chart. The original PS3 game which launched to much acclaim back in week 45 2008 could only manage No4. Launch week sales of the first and second LittleBigPlanet games are almost identical with the latest game only 95 sales short of the original.

13. tenthousandgothsonacid

@1 Played the ME2 demo on PS3. It was :

a) Technically poor (but I gather they claim to have fixed that)

b) Hackneyed old bullshit

c) Badly acted

No thanks

14. Blerk

Week 45, 2008. Beaten by Gears 2, FIFA and Fallout 3.

January is certainly a much quieter time of year than November, but I’m surprised to see this one not selling better. No competition, a much larger PS3 user base, but it only does the same amount? Something wrong there, surely?

15. tenthousandgothsonacid

LBP games are always slow burn. First ended up selling millions but very slowly.

16. Johnny Cullen

For the record, I have ME2 on PS3, even though I have it on 360. This is the first time I have double-dipped for multi-plat titles at launch since probably GTA IV, although that was a sim-ship.

Next time I’ll probably do a sim-ship double-dip is when Brink comes out.

17. Psychotext

“No competition, a much larger PS3 user base, but it only does the same amount? Something wrong there, surely?”

Not just that, but as I recall, the first game had a botched launch because of that music bullshit.

18. SplatteredHouse

@9. They’ve enjoyed good visibility, this time. In addition to the commercials, they’ve had contextual “stings” for the game, each side of breaks between films shown on TV.

19. get2sammyb

It’s great to see them take the top spot.

20. NeoSquall

At least the PS3 version has EVERYTHING already available.

I’m thinking about getting one for myself alongside the PC Collector I already have, just to play trough all the paid DLC I obviously didn’t purchase on PC.

21. Psychotext

“LittleBigPlanet is a “legs” game though. You can’t judge it on its first week sales like most other games. It’ll linger and next thing we hear it’ll have shifted like 3 million copies or whatever. Just like the last game.”

That only really happened last time because they tanked the price within a few weeks and it was heavily bundled. Remains to be seen if they’ll do the same this time.

22. Hybridpsycho

We bought it on PC, the way it’s meant to be played.
    Probably not getting it for PS3, only diff between PC version would be:
    Worse controls and not as good graphics.

23. Johnny Cullen

It actually handles pretty well, tbh.

That’s the LBP info added in too, btw. Thanks, guys.

24. NinjaMidget

I went into my local HMV at around 4 o’clock on Friday to get ME2 for the PS3, apparently I was the first person to buy it that day! I was in total shock, but then I remembered you can get it for £5 on pc and eggbox.

Good stuff for LBP, nice to see a good game do…good!

25. Erthazus

About sales: That just shows that Christmas time is over and no one cares… Here you go Sony for delaying this game.

26. OlderGamer

LBP2 = amazing. My youngest used some of his xmas money he was saving to get that game. Its pretty much the same fair lot of LBP, but seems to offer more variety. He actualy put put down Warcraft3 on battlenet the last two days to play LBP2. That in and of itself was amazing.

Great game.

How much do the top sales list differ from UK to NA?

Just wondering.

27. Dannybuoy

Good work MM! Will be picking this up after payday.

28. earlyrock

Yeah I’ve got my ME2 copy on PS3 too. Haven’t gotten around to playing it yet though.

I was tempted to get that argos 360 version, then sell it for more on eBay :D

29. freedoms_stain

@7, I don’t watch much tv but I’ve defo seen lbp2 ads on tv. I specifically remember quipping to a friend that they couldn’t have done much market research in Scotland before naming their poster boy “sackboy”, as ball sack related insults are common up here, and “sackboy” totally works :D

30. TheWulf

Well, despite not having played a game on the PS3 for ages … I picked up LBP2 today.